Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Jacksonville Florida

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's a shop in St. Augustine called Perfect Panamas. It's not exactly Jacksonville, but it's pretty close. The shop sells very nice genuine panamas and the proprietor that I spoke to was a really nice guy.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Closest thing to a hat shop is the panama hats store in St. Augustine. They have straws and felts. It's a good place to try on and see what you like then order from one of our vendors cos they are expensive in there.
Lefty beat me to it!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
Closest thing to a hat shop is the panama hats store in St. Augustine. They have straws and felts. It's a good place to try on and see what you like then order from one of our vendors cos they are expensive in there.
Lefty beat me to it!

Expensive is right - and teeming with tourists (like me).
I didn't see any dead bodies, but there were a lot of people in fanny packs that I felt could be "offed". ;)

gepreston

New in Town
Thanks! Yes I've been in his shop but I thought his prices where a little high. I also called him recently about reblocking a hat I found at a thrift store (That story is in another thread) but said he only blocked HIS hats. I also wasn’t to happy with the quality of the work on some of his lower quality hats (the ones that sold for $60). He also told me that he didn’t use leather sweat bands at all. He did have a few fine hats though just a little too expensive for me (Do people really pay $500 for off the rack felt hats???)

gepreston

New in Town
indycop said:
Last time I was in there they wanted $300 plus for a Borso that you can get from Bencraft for I think $210...

Ditto! Was in there in July and had a similar experience. Don’t get me wrong, the owner was a nice guy! I just think his shop is in a tourist area and his prices reflect it. Although recently (very) I contacted the shop about reblocking a panama I’d found at a thrift store and was told that they only blocked their hats and only reblocked hat bought from them.
So, I'm still on the lookout for a decent hatter in this area of the US. Any suggestions??? ;)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I contacted them at one time also for an adjustment of some sort...they gave me a phone number of someone in Georgia that does work for them. That was all the help they could offer. They didn't even mention that they only handle their hats.[huh]

duggap

Banned
gepreston said:
Ditto! Was in there in July and had a similar experience. Don’t get me wrong, the owner was a nice guy! I just think his shop is in a tourist area and his prices reflect it. Although recently (very) I contacted the shop about reblocking a panama I’d found at a thrift store and was told that they only blocked their hats and only reblocked hat bought from them.
So, I'm still on the lookout for a decent hatter in this area of the US. Any suggestions??? ;)
From following the various threads here I would say that most of the folks here use Optimo of Chicago for refurbishing hats. Only problem is the shipping costs.

gepreston

New in Town
Colby Jack said:
I contacted them at one time also for an adjustment of some sort...they gave me a phone number of someone in Georgia that does work for them. That was all the help they could offer. They didn't even mention that they only handle their hats.[huh]

Did you have any work done by the guy in Ga? If so, where you happy with it, was the cost resonable, where in Ga is he located, and finally, if you where happy with the work and cost, could you shoot me his number???

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I tried the number a few times and never got an answer, so I tossed the number.
You can call the St. Augustine store and see if they're still using an outside guy...Say you misplaced the guys number.

gepreston

New in Town
Thanks, I might do that....I did speak with a friend of mine that said there was a western wear store on Blanding in O.P. that he thought did some hat work.....I'll try and check it out this weekend and post something

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
You're probably thing of "Wishful Thinking Western Wear"...They might do some steaming...maybe some cleaning. There's one in Gainesville I go to...really nice people...mostly western hats...though I picked up my first Akubra there...The Snowy River...

gepreston

New in Town
I think you are right. I didn't get a chance to check it out today but I've got a few hours tomorrow to run buy. Hat blocking by hand is such a dying art and it's a shame. Although I'm only in my late 30's I can still remember the men's store in down town Palatka that could handle most of your hat needs back in the late 70s. Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth it to try and learn to do some blocking myself....Just not too sure if hat blocking is a "hobby" that one can pick up without laying out lots of money to get started. [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
gepreston said:
If you are in Jacksonville then I can meet up with you some time and show you some of Majormoore's work, Art's work, Adventurebilt, and Peter's brother's.:)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
gepreston said:
Thanks, I might do that....I did speak with a friend of mine that said there was a western wear store on Blanding in O.P. that he thought did some hat work.....I'll try and check it out this weekend and post something
Western world about 3 miles south on Blanding just past the SO substation. They sell western hats in there and may do some stretching but I don't think they work on hats.

gepreston

New in Town
indycop said:
If you are in Jacksonville then I can meet up with you some time and show you some of Majormoore's work, Art's work, Adventurebilt, and Peter's brother's.:)

I'd like to take you up on that offer!!! Yes, I'm in Jax I actually live in the Argyle area. Do you have any panamas from Bob??

indycop

I'll Lock Up
gepreston said:
I'd like to take you up on that offer!!! Yes, I'm in Jax I actually live in the Argyle area. Do you have any panamas from Bob??
My wife has one, I had one but my extra long oval head just would not work with a soft panama. It makes the brim distort so I had to let it go. I need to go out to youngerman circle Monday or Tuesday, I can meet you around there whenever you want.

gepreston

New in Town
indycop said:
My wife has one, I had one but my extra long oval head just would not work with a soft panama. It makes the brim distort so I had to let it go. I need to go out to youngerman circle Monday or Tuesday, I can meet you around there whenever you want.

Let me guess, you are hitting Sam's Club right???? Well, I'm off on Monday and I only live about a mile from Sam's so that would be great!!! I'll shoot you my cell in a PM (IF i'm allowed).....Thanks:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran