Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In The Car/A Newbie Question

Flieger

Practically Family
This is interesting.

Can this be part of the reason to why the popularity of the hat has lessened more and more over the last 60 or so years? It fits with cars getting more and more compact over the same period (at least here in Europe). [huh]

/F

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I have a Passat like Fletch but I am a bit shorter. My biggest issue is not getting in and out of the car, it's getting the seat/headrest adjusted so I don't keep hitting the brim and pushing my hat forward.

Flieger

Practically Family
Removing the headrest is possible but I'm not sure I like to sit in a car without them. :eek: Maybe it's just that I'm brought up with the Swedish safety-thinking.

/F

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Head-room-wise I can wear a hat in my car (PT Cruiser) but the headrest sometimes gets in the way. I'm not one to remove the headrests as they aren't there to rest the head--they're there to help prevent or minimize whiplash.

What I do instead is use a rack that uses suction cups to mount to the rear passenger window.

carhatrack6.jpg

carhatrack.jpg

It holds the hat in place fairly well without flattening the brim against the ceiling like the ones for cowboy hats can. A really rough road can cause it to bounce off, though (the hat off the rack, not the rack from the window.)

It's handy, it takes care of the hat and keeps me from having to lean forward a bit when I'm driving.

My wife's car is a Ford Taurus. I can't even get into it while wearing a hat--the low roof line means I usually knock my hat off if I forget to take it off before getting in. Once inside I can put it back on but again have the headrest problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Edward

Bartender
I grew up around vintage cars, particularly 30s Austins. They very definitely had more headroom. It seems to me that as higher performance and higher speeds became a realistic possibility, aerodynamics played more of a role in design, resulting in lesser headroom...

I don't recall the model, but there's part of North East London where the vast majority of the population are Hassidic Jews who subscribe, er, religiously, to the prescribed dress code. The only car you ever see round there is a specific model of Volvo, as it's about the only production car that provides sufficient space to wear the required open crown hat. Honestly, I'm not being fetitious, that's very much the case.

The ideal of course would be to run a Golden Age car year round, but alas that's not really practical for most folks nowadays!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wear a crushable hat in my car--no problem there. I need to find a way to pin up my hair in the summer without it interfering with the seat.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I also don't like the idea of removing my headrest (same safety reason). I do like that rack Tango! I would still have an issue though in the morning when hauling my kids to school but it's perfect for when it's just me in the car.

sphughes

Familiar Face
I drive an 07 Passat and I am 6'5". I wear my Banjo Patterson while driving and I think that I am just used to ducking when I get in and out of my cars. I have numerous reminders on the top of my head from many years of forgetting to duck. It is now just second nature to me to twist and turn. It is like anything else that once I get used to doing it, I don't notice it.

I will say that when buying a car, I make sure that I can fit into it. There are definitely cars that I could not sit in comfortably let alone wear a hat. The headrest doesn't come into play because I lean forward slightly. Sometimes my jacket will ride up on me and the collar can hit the brim in the back. Adjusting the jacket is a definite PIMA.

-Scott

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
lol
MrFusion said:
I also don't like the idea of removing my headrest (same safety reason). I do like that rack Tango! I would still have an issue though in the morning when hauling my kids to school but it's perfect for when it's just me in the car.

Fortunately for me the kids we haul around are grandkids, so it doesn't happen all that often and even then usually in my wife's car. Even so it's easy to remove.

I do have to remove it when I want to haul lots of stuff and need to put the rear seat down or flip it forward out of the way, but for the most part it's quite handy!

Cheers,
Tom

PS I got the rack from Sheplers. It doesn't show it but it actually comes with two racks. The other one is for baseball caps. I've not used it yet. lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have a Scion tC, and have not had any problems with a hat. I just have to remember to duck low enough. Every once in a while, I smack the very top of my hat on the door getting in, and have to adjust it on my head. No big deal though.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
This is one reason why I cannot drive a modern car....I can't get in and out with a hat on.

Actually, I have a hard time getting into and out of modern cars anyway....who are these 5'2" tall people that design cars? Your butt is almost dragging the highway. I have to drive a Pickup truck.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Flieger said:
Thank you Scotrace!!! Tell me how you managed to find those.

I'd used them if I'd found them... honest guv! :)

/F

Well, I knew exactly what terms I was looking for, and it still took several tries, using Google Advanced Search.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I don't think this is only about modern cars - some of the lowest roofs I have ever seen (in fixed roof cars) were the late 1930s Triumph Dolomite and Riley Stelvio. But then they were sports saloons - 'flat cap' cars.

Alan

genphideaux

New in Town
Fatdutchman said:
This is one reason why I cannot drive a modern car....I can't get in and out with a hat on.

Actually, I have a hard time getting into and out of modern cars anyway....who are these 5'2" tall people that design cars? Your butt is almost dragging the highway. I have to drive a Pickup truck.

I have to remove my hat when getting into and out of the new Chevy's , Toyota, Nissan and Fords, which do you drive a Dodge? My hunting truck is an old 64 chevy 4x4 and it has no headroom problems. My wife calls it the war wagon, rides like it too, keeps her out of the hunting camp....LOL

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Tango Yankee, I was asking where you acquired that rack, but now I see the link. A splendid idea!

I'm 6'2" and drive a Hyundai with a surprising amount of headroom. The only problems I encounter are the fore-mentioned headrest cramping and the occasional feather loss out an open window :(

TimBer

New in Town
I'm 6' and have plenty of head room in my 4Runner. The only time I hit my hat on the ceiling was when I tried to spit out the window. My wife has a VW Jetta and there is no way I can wear a hat in there. I was out of town last week and rented a G6, it was better than the Jetta, but I still hit my hat on the ceiling several times.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff