Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In Video Games

Corky

Practically Family
Perhaps the game with the most interesting use of hats as a game element is the superb first-person-shooter Team Fortress 2, the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map.

jarate.jpg

"Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. "I buy hats," a behatted man seems to say. "I am better than you."

In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes (hence the famous command of "Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads" at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor).

During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here."

— Hats: The Ultimate Status Symbol.

Team Fortress 2 Hat Video

Complete Team Fortress 2 Hat Wiki

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't forget Red Dead Redemption. There are a ton of amazing hats in that game.

Uncle, that ol' rascal:
uncle.jpg

Marshal Leigh Johnson (I want this hat :)):
Marshal_Leigh_Johnson.jpg

The ex-gang member seeking the titular redemption, John Marston:
JohnMarston.jpg

Neophyte

Firo Prochainezo, recently initiated into one of the smaller crime families in 1930s New York. His mentor buys him his first real hat as a "coming-of-age" present. Almost immediately afterwards he is assaulted by a pack of hooligans, and manages to pummel them roundly without ever letting the hat touch the ground. DO NOT mess with the hat, brother lol !

From the Baccano! game, based off the anime, based of the light novels:
firo-and-maiza1.png

Repairman Joe

New in Town
I want John Marston's hat from Red Dead...looked for it online when the game came out,but finding a particular cowboy hat among the many,many cowboy hats out there is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Since an anime video game was mentioned (Baccano!), I thought I'd mention another one, Lupin III: The Treasure of the Sorcerer King. I don't have it myself, but I'm a fan of the series, which once aired on Adult Swim:

Here's the gang's sharpshooter, Jigen, in action:

491546_2004-03-22_07_640w.jpg

Then here's the Interpol-employed Inspector Zenigata, constantly trying to track them down (the guy in the red jacket in the background, Lupin III, in particular)

491546_2004-03-22_11_640w.jpg

Both of these characters always wear fedoras, different variations depending on the series, manga, or TV special/film (it's very popular in Japan). The graphics are cell-shaded, so they're trying to emulate the anime it's sourced from, not be realistic.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Lupin III was huge in Italy, too! A lot of guys of my generation grew up with japanese anime and Lupin III in particular...
mutual love between countries, I'd say (Miyazaki for example, besides being a personal friend of old school italian animators, often homaged Italy in his works, including Lupin's car- Fiat 500- in The Castle of Cagliostro).
Jigen was the epitome of hat-wearing gangsters for us young boys :)

Neophyte

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy