Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats of Old New York

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Any idea what street that is in the last photo?

Nassau St., looking south from Fulton, 1926

here are a couple more cool pics

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Looks like someone is standing on a ledge above them sweeping some debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmclfrsh

New in Town
This is a great thread. And since it is before Post-It Notes, those certainly were pins through the brims to hold their name tag on.

Just think how we would react today if someone were to push a tack or a pin through the brim of one of our hats... People would come unglued!

Goes to show that hats were an expendable commodity in those days. Just think how many hats a guy could have gone through in his lifetime.... so no wonder most are gone as was already noted.

Again, great thread. I wish people still wore hats as often as they did then. Did they shoot people for hat thievery like they did horse thievery? [huh]

facade

A-List Customer
This is a great thread. And since it is before Post-It Notes, those certainly were pins through the brims to hold their name tag on.

Just think how we would react today if someone were to push a tack or a pin through the brim of one of our hats... People would come unglued!

Goes to show that hats were an expendable commodity in those days. Just think how many hats a guy could have gone through in his lifetime.... so no wonder most are gone as was already noted.

Again, great thread. I wish people still wore hats as often as they did then. Did they shoot people for hat thievery like they did horse thievery? [huh]

1943_pool_room.jpg

I seriously doubt these were hats worn by that day's patrons. They are tacked/nailed both on the top and bottom. The top row is nearly to the ceiling, making retrieval difficult without a ladder. And these are not summer hats, so where are the coats? A man would keep his hat with his coat. To me this smacks of some sort of display/collection of discarded hats who have taken on extra character through years of neglect. Since each is labeled, there's probably an interesting story that is lost to time.

I do believe men were less religious with respect to the shape of their hat then they are in this forum. However these hats look like they were fished from a bin at a thrift store.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thought this was appropriate to put here

some of the oldest known video footage of NYC

some great hats in this footage as well

enjoy

[video=youtube;AQR-HKzESsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQR-HKzESsM#t=71[/video]

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great clip. I especially liked the cop swinging his billyclub down the street. Just wondering: is Jeremy's still there under the Brooklyn Bridge? The place used to be packed every Friday at lunchtime because of the pitchers of beer for $3.00 and fried clams for $2.50 (early '80's). The mounted cops used to tie up their steeds outside and join the crowd. Very unproductive Friday afternoons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn