Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a Tough Time Finding Super-Casual Neckwear

inappropriate

New in Town
Hello! Thanks for reading!

Well -

If wedding cravats are high formal, ties and bow-ties are formal, and ascots are casual, then what I'm after would be the sort of super-casual neckwear suitable for wearing with working shirts or polo shirts.

Bandanas, neckerchiefs, warm-weather scarves -- anything, whatever they're called, so long as they look good. Searching the internet, I can't find anything that doesn't seem to be made for Cub Scouts or cowboy's dogs.

Appropriate discussion for the Fedora Lounge? Well, unless their being worn in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" or "To Catch a Thief" brings them into relevance, no, I guess it's not the most appropriate query for this board...but, really, where the heck else could I have possibly asked about something like this? :p

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The word 'bandana' is, of course, Spanish (related to flag, I believe) and implies a southern US context, but it is interesting to note that the neckerchief, which is similar, is a traditional English item of neckwear. It was worn in the 19th Century by farm labourers, usually with a collarless shirt. The usual patterns were red, green or blue with polka dots and a squared border, although I understand that Paisley patterns were used. It was (is) usually worn rolled in the opposite manner to a bandana (with the points inward) and the knot at the front. It could be reversed to provide more coverage to the neck from the sun and even (with knots in the corners) worn as a hat. An unusual use for it was to carry the day's food to the fields, bundled and sometimes knotted over a knobstick.

It is still common wear for gypsies and horse dealers and goes well with moleskin, corduroy and tweed. As with many English country garments it has gravitated upwards socially and is sometimes seen worn as a casual alternative to the stock by the 'horsey set'. Lord Bath's delighful French wife (who is more English than any English lady I ever met) habitually wears one, even indoors, with keepers' tweed.

Alan

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sorry But

If you live in America, USA, then you will probably be living up to your user name.
Bandanas or ascots or neckerchiefs or the like are acceptable here in only a very few situations:

1. If you are actually riding, just rode, or will soon ride a horse.
2. If you are at least 75 years old and speak with a pronounced foreign accent.
3. If you are a frivolous twit and unashamed to show it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Men's neck wear not consisting of ties went out with the 1970s! You might squeek by with an ascot in remote circumstances but all the other scafy things are way gay.:rolleyes:

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If you live in America, USA, then you will probably be living up to your user name.
Bandanas or ascots or neckerchiefs or the like are acceptable here in only a very few situations:

1. If you are actually riding, just rode, or will soon ride a horse.
2. If you are at least 75 years old and speak with a pronounced foreign accent.
3. If you are a frivolous twit and unashamed to show it.
Men's neck wear not consisting of ties went out with the 1970s! You might squeek by with an ascot in remote circumstances but all the other scafy things are way gay.

Unfortunately this is all way too true. The only time I've been able to wear a bandana around my neck and a fedora on my head at the same time and get away with it is when I'm hiking in the outdoors.
Its really a shame that such a simple and useful article of clothing causes such a huge torrent of negative criticism.
Having said all that, Shindeco is still my hero for wearing an ascot and a fedora to Burning Man.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
*shhh! Don't tell anyone!

I have a super secret guilty pleasure.

In the summer, I like to wear a bandana with big sunglasses and a black cowboy hat when I mow my lawn. Sometimes I even go walking with them.

People driving by think I'm insane. Heck...I think I'm insane. But for some reason...

I really like it.

eee, 'twere reet grand.

A good look.

08232-2.jpg

bk

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
These are pretty much a standard look for me in the Summer - would the neckwear shown here be censured in the US?

Alan

No. Because you have -actual- style and confidence to wear it. Its the 'what will people think' crowd that assume things make one 'gay' or whatever...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Notice, however, that this type of illustration almost always features men in pairs, in settings of movie-like glamor or high life.

Notice also that the female figure appears to have empty eye sockets and a partially shriveled, shrunken head. This, with her child-like pigtails and Victorian attire, suggest a grotesque, desexualized child-mother figure.

Isn't this fun? lol

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
No. Because you have -actual- style and confidence to wear it. Its the 'what will people think' crowd that assume things make one 'gay' or whatever...

Well said! :eusa_clap

I could never make an ascot work...primarily because I'd be too hung up about the perceptions of others to be able to wear it with confidence. But, then again, I've been know to wear suits and sport coats in colors and styles that would make others cringe.

I think that we need to be careful when painting with broad strokes...that is to say, THIS is acceptable and/or THIS is not. We're all a victim of labels at sometime or another, whether we choose to wear a fedora, an ascot or cowboy boots.

In my opinion, if it works for you, it works. Period.

Getting back on topic, the first thing that came to my mind in the way of super-casual neckwear were the knit ties that were popular in the mid-80's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic