Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Fashion help

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Next year for the Reading Airshow I want to do something different. I never see anyone wearing anything tropical. My boyfriend reenacts early war Pacific so I was wondering if there were any Pacific-inspired fashions out there during the war. I do a bit of sewing so even if someone could point me to a pattern that would be great. I was also wondering about summer fashions as far as halter tops go. I notice them a lot in 50's fashions but what about the 40s. I don't really know how much skin was appropriate back then.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I know the whirlingturban Suzy Wong dress is from the 40's.
http://www.whirlingturban.com/40s suzy wong.htm

I've also seen the shadylady custom 40's look in hawaiin prints.
http://shadyladyclothing.com/menu.html

I have a vintage 1940s hawaiin print dress similar to my sarong with a sweetheart neckline,halter, and a belt with an attached bow that looks bustle-inspired when worn,complete with a matching shawl.
Hope that gives you a few ideas,I'm sure the girls can even come up with patterns.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thank you,Scottrace!

Katydid-Try googling Dorothy Lamour.Her pictures with Bob and Bing always had a tropical flair.
dotlam.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This is my Whirling Turban dress:
group3%20a.jpg

They did wear halter tops in the 1940s, though they often wore them paired with a bolero jacket, to make the dress or outfit more suitable for walking about town during the day.

Here's a halter playsuit from the late 30s:
2997.jpg

Another one from 1938:
8031.jpg

And one from 1940:
9046.jpg

I have a couple of summer McCall's magazines from the late 30s-early 40s, and they show dresses made with similar tops to the playsuits/bathing suits I posted above, with a-line skirts, and matching jackets. They are very cute!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
JBD- I've salivated over that dress on her site for a while,beautiful color choice that will look stunning on a blonde.
I'll probably order a few for next year's VLV,I'm waiting til I see some really good greens and yellows pop up on her fabric listing.
I could kick myself for not getting something in that green with yellow feathers fabric before it ran out.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
Thank you,Scottrace!

Katydid-Try googling Dorothy Lamour.Her pictures with Bob and Bing always had a tropical flair.
dotlam.jpg

Except "Road to Utopia", set in Alaska. One of my favorites.

I know the movie is not great, but didn't "Pearl Harbor" have some scenes were the nurses went to town in tropical civies. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Kaela

Vendor
jitterbugdoll said:
And one from 1940:
9046.jpg

Say! I have this pattern and I made this outfit! Don't think i'm looney for using this fabric for this pattern, it may not be period correct, but it sure is cute!

PA230023almostcute.jpg

I actually made it just for a trip to Palm Springs, so I'd be vintage poolside, too!
PA230006.jpg

PA230024bettiepagethick.jpg

THis is one great little pattern, and yes, I got it from evadress.com! (Just remember, evadress only has copies of originals, so it's a good pattern, but if you like having the originals, you're out of luck!)

Too CUTE!

Kaela said:
Say! I have this pattern and I made this outfit! Don't think i'm looney for using this fabric for this pattern, it may not be period correct, but it sure is cute!

PA230024bettiepagethick.jpg

THis is one great little pattern, and yes, I got it from evadress.com! (Just remember, evadress only has copies of originals, so it's a good pattern, but if you like having the originals, you're out of luck!)

You look terrific! And I love the outfit even if it isn't period it's retro. Your hat is the best! Where did you get it? Is it vintage?

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Alright!!! Thats so awesome! I've been so keen on 40s and 50s tropical swimwear, playsuits and dresses this year! I got a bathingsuit from walmart that is vintage looking, although I am no expert in that area. (And I am also very cheap because I have no cashflow yet) It's a tropical print. I'm also seeing more fabrics in stores of tropical nature. I am loving that pattern and so want to make it now!

colleency

One of the Regulars
The swimsuite is great! I'd like to make one, but I'm curious what everyone thinks: would the swimsuit look ridiculous in a D-cup?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
colleency said:
The swimsuite is great! I'd like to make one, but I'm curious what everyone thinks: would the swimsuit look ridiculous in a D-cup?

Never! It would look fabulous! And if you make it and think you ridiculous, send it to me! (We are bosom buddies!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany