Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Wedding

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies,

I was hoping that you could give some advice. I'm going to Hawaii for the first time for a wedding. Dress code is "aloha casual". I'm thinking about using one of my vintage sarong patterns but I'm worried that it will look too costumey.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any good thrift/antique stores? I'll be staying in Honolulu but we'll have a car so there is some leeway.

I'd appreciate any advice you may have.:)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm not the best person for dress advice, but for antique/thrift shops I can help a little ;)

The most famous is Bailey's Antiques and Aloha shirts. Its best known for its aloha shirts, other stuff less so...
http://alohashirts.com/

In downtown we have a new one: Tincan Mail Man: http://tincanmailman.net/index.html

Other than those I'm not aware of any ones... other than standard Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. which are not great here honestly...

PM me if you need any other help, or touring ideas, I'm pretty good for local history, etc.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
vintage-sarong-dress-tiki-dixiefried.jpg
this Pin Up Girl dress also leaps to mind!

or this one
tiki-dress-blue.jpg

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help :) I'd love a WT but unfortunately there isn't enough time to have one made. This trip came up very suddenly and I have less than a month to go.

Chasseur, I will certainly be in touch when I get home from work. I'd love to know what I should prioritize. 5 days just doesn't seem like enough time.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Warning...prudery ahead...

I am going to be a complete and utter prude here.

But.....

One should -never- outshine or out-cleavage the bride on HER day....so I would say be very cautious when thinking of a pin up style dress.

Prudish yes, but va va voom on someone else's big day just smacks of attention seeking to me.

Your mileage and social group acceptance of this may vary

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I am going to be a complete and utter prude here.

But.....

One should -never- outshine or out-cleavage the bride on HER day....so I would say be very cautious when thinking of a pin up style dress.

Prudish yes, but va va voom on someone else's big day just smacks of attention seeking to me.

Your mileage and social group acceptance of this may vary

Good point. I definitely wouldn't style any of those dresses the way the website did! And I'd probably get the size that fit my bust.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Don't worry, it would be far less va-voomy on me. Far far far less... Besides, I'd be wearing some sort of bolero or little jacket to cover up my tattoos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy