Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HBO's Carnivale

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i heard that the main writer guy (fat guy with beard) said there just wasn't enought of an audience. But isn't that why the original Start Trek eventually got cancelled? Boy, were they wrong.

I liked Carnivale a lot, especially the set pieces, and I have them all on dvd. I admired the attempt to make an epic out of the 1930s and to include magic. But the writing wasn't tight. I could tell that no one really knew what was going to happen.

My favorite episodes: the double episode in Season 1 in which they go to that town to look at the mines and the people are like ghosts and the chubby daughter of the stripper has that terrible accident. The very end, when she is looking out of that window, is just terrifying.

The epic fistfight between Jones and Stompy, while meanwhile a very very gripping scene is happening in a truck between Nick Stahl and what's her name, the fortune teller's daughter.

The scene at the end of Season 1 when the Reverend has that confrontation with his priestly mentor in a church and his eyes turn black. SCARY.

The sight of the elephant on the road and yet another cast of freaks when they meet the remnants of the Something or Other Brothers' circus.

The fish turning up in the lake when The Kid heals the broken arm of the developmentally delayed musclebound son of the snake handler lady.

The weird scene on the hillock when Jonesy and the extremely attractive daughter of the stripper woman finally get together and she asks him to do something surprising because "the johns use the other way," or however she put it.

The show was long on effective imagery and short on tight writing. Still liked it a lot, though.

Vintage Betty

Another Carnivale Fan

My husband and I really liked Carnivale. We both were amazed at the fantastic acting and high level of detail of the sets and props. We were bummed when we missed a few episodes and I will probably buy it on DVD. I can't imagine how much it cost to make with all the fantastic actors and also quantity of people in the crowd scenes.

Besides the actual storyline, the thing I admired most was all the tent people's clothing - dirty dusty and sweaty. It was very very real and not "Hollywood-ized".

We've seen the actor who plays the preacher in another film recently, and he is great there too, with his booming voice. But to us, he's simply known as "preacher" and really excelled in that role.

Vintage Betty

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Dr Doran

vintage68 said:
Thanks Doran. I saw your avatar and just wanted to mention that I'm a fourth generation Californian, born in Berkeley at Alta Bates!

My daughter (see photo at left) was born at Alta Bates!

Dr Doran

Lady Day said:
I think the show faltered when they turned Scudder into a physical/real character. In season one, they hinted on 'Scudder' as if he were some sort of force or idea. I was fascinated by that.

Oh, and there are two other Carnivle threads.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4558&highlight=carnivale

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2089&highlight=carnivale

Ill see if we can get some mergin done :)

LD

A mergation would be lovely.
But as for Scudder, you see him (same actor) all the time in the flashbacks and such in Season 1. You see him in a mine, for instance.
He sure looked awful with the burned face.

vintage68

Practically Family
I'm just hoping that indeed Carnivale DOES return to HBO, if only for a full length movie special or something like that. I'd love to see a new season, but such is the life of rumors that I don't hold out much hope...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doran said:
A mergation would be lovely.
But as for Scudder, you see him (same actor) all the time in the flashbacks and such in Season 1. You see him in a mine, for instance.
He sure looked awful with the burned face.

Right, but I never took those flashbacks as reality. They could have been parables to something, of corse it seemed easier to make him a person, soemthing the audience could find tangable.

LD

Dr Doran

The Wolf said:
If they continue I hope they start answering some dang questions.:rage:

Sincerely,
The patient Wolf

I honestly do not even think the writers knew the answers. Each episode I felt like they were winging it. Still loved the show, but ...

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Doran said:
I honestly do not even think the writers knew the answers. Each episode I felt like they were winging it. Still loved the show, but ...

At some point mid-way through the first season I basically gave up on the plotline making any sense whatsoever or anything ever being explained. From then on I just enjoyed the show for the acting, costuming, etc.

Dr Doran

Vladimir Berkov said:
At some point mid-way through the first season I basically gave up on the plotline making any sense whatsoever or anything ever being explained. From then on I just enjoyed the show for the acting, costuming, etc.

And that really cute stripper girl, the thinner daughter. Yowza. Those routines!

Miss 1929

i am in the middle of a marathon Carnivale-watching orgy - don't spoil it for me! No details!

But I am amazed at the level of authenticity. At last American production values are approaching the British standard!

Except for the aforementioned 'sawbuck", I haven't really caught anything anachronistic, and I have been watching for it.

So much fun...I hate it that it will end.

I disagree that the story doesn't go anywhere, I found the entire first season very easy to follow - maybe you need to drink a lot with it...The second season seems to have picked up the pace a bit.

Now I want to rent a tent and some trucks and have a Carnivale party! I can see Doran as The Gentleman Geek...

Dr Doran

I'll gladly come to the partay, but I want to be Lodz.

I still think the storylines are slack. And when you see the interviews with the writers, you see why. There is a fat guy who is the main writer but many other writers write entire episodes and simply show the script to him for basic approval. They weren't privy to his final plans -- IF HE HAD ANY. I won't spoil a thing for you, but I do think you'll know what I mean when you finish Season 2.

Miss 1929 said:
i am in the middle of a marathon Carnivale-watching orgy - don't spoil it for me! No details!

But I am amazed at the level of authenticity. At last American production values are approaching the British standard!

Except for the aforementioned 'sawbuck", I haven't really caught anything anachronistic, and I have been watching for it.

So much fun...I hate it that it will end.

I disagree that the story doesn't go anywhere, I found the entire first season very easy to follow - maybe you need to drink a lot with it...The second season seems to have picked up the pace a bit.

Now I want to rent a tent and some trucks and have a Carnivale party! I can see Doran as The Gentleman Geek...

Brooksie

One Too Many
Doran said:
i heard that the main writer guy (fat guy with beard) said there just wasn't enought of an audience. But isn't that why the original Start Trek eventually got cancelled? Boy, were they wrong.

I liked Carnivale a lot, especially the set pieces, and I have them all on dvd. I admired the attempt to make an epic out of the 1930s and to include magic. But the writing wasn't tight. I could tell that no one really knew what was going to happen.

My favorite episodes: the double episode in Season 1 in which they go to that town to look at the mines and the people are like ghosts and the chubby daughter of the stripper has that terrible accident. The very end, when she is looking out of that window, is just terrifying.

The epic fistfight between Jones and Stompy, while meanwhile a very very gripping scene is happening in a truck between Nick Stahl and what's her name, the fortune teller's daughter. (Ben Hawkins and Sophie)

The scene at the end of Season 1 when the Reverend has that confrontation with his priestly mentor in a church and his eyes turn black. SCARY.

The sight of the elephant on the road and yet another cast of freaks when they meet the remnants of the Something or Other Brothers' circus. (the Daily Brothers' Circus)

The fish turning up in the lake when The Kid heals the broken arm of the developmentally delayed musclebound son of the snake handler lady. (Ruthie)

The weird scene on the hillock when Jonesy and the extremely attractive daughter (Libby)of the stripper woman finally get together and she asks him to do something surprising because "the johns use the other way," or however she put it.

The show was long on effective imagery and short on tight writing. Still liked it a lot, though.

I have seen every episode, loved it and still want more!

Brooksie

Dr Doran

Wow Lisa, thanks for the insertions IN RED. JUST IN CASE ANYONE GOT CONFUSED AS TO WHICH SNAKE CHARMER I WAS TALKING ABOUT. :p lol :eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot