Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heads UP! Hats are back. Bay Area news article.

It's nice to see more involvement and a gaining interest. It's a double edged sword because the growth may spell more competition for vintage hats. Much like the cigar boom of the late 80's a rising demand it may lead to a fall in quality. But at the same time it's nice to have more people that appreciate a fedora.

I think of the Cigar boom because it was a classic tale of being the next thing and what that meant to the market. As cigars rose to a fad level the urban legend type information was rampant and it strained things for those already into cigars. The eventual drop created a shakeout that lead to both disappointments but also some opportunities. In the end the cigar industry came out stronger but that took time and some of that time was difficult.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This article appeared in the local Bay Area newspaper today, that HATS ARE BACK! Story about Paul's Hat Works in SF.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_17558311

Some interesting stuff in that article. A whole lot of it could be applied to the HATCO/Startoliner fiasco ( as seen by some here) as well. Interesting the references to the young age of the "new" market. I would hazard that this "new" market are at least 1/2 the age of over 75% of those here and as such really DO NOT CARE about open crowns, mode edges etc. Just "How does it LOOK? " It's a Fashion/Clothing item being pushed in that market and to a younger one at that. They are back, but NOT in the way many of us think they are ( or as we would like ) :)

SInteresting the references to the young age of the "new" market. I would hazard that this "new" market are at least 1/2 the age of over 75% of those here and as such really DO NOT CARE about open crowns, mode edges etc. Just "How does it LOOK? " It's a Fashion/Clothing item being pushed in that market and to a younger one at that. They are back, but NOT in the way many of us think they are ( or as we would like ) :)

Knowledge is power and for most companies making products that may range with levels of quality (Good, better, best) often an informed consumer will make better choices. It is up to the manufacturer first to try to inform the consumer. Then it comes down to if the hat buyer either investigates first before making an initial purchase or over time likes hats and wishes to learn more - they wind up at places like the Fedora Lounge.

Here the main information is usually agreed upon and people learn about the what to look for and other great information. There will be a higher percentage that will get a hat with little thought as to construction, style or really knowing what they are looking for let alone what they are looking at. BUT of those that come into it a small percentage will move on to better hats and hopefully become friends of those that were there before them.

So it has it faults but in general should be a good thing.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
agreed. Nice article. Seems like many hatters, both production line and custom quality, are getting some good press lately. It's nice to see, although the "hat wear 101" at the bottom of the article seems a little naive to me.

It's nice to see, although the "hat wear 101" at the bottom of the article seems a little naive to me.

I think that articles like this have a "dumbed down" for public consumption level of information.

They want to be positive and can't really go to in depth because:
readers may stop reading with too much information,
it may scare people a way from the trend which the article is supportive of
and there is also the sense of if they publish information that is "definitive" it may start a string of challenges by "informed" readers.

They may wish to avoid all that.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
and the JFK thing again? I don't think anyone who writes these articles does anything more than Google "hat comeback", cut and paste, and add their interviews with the local hatter/wearer.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the Hat 101 advice is suspect. I don't think I've ever had a hat, vintage or modern, that actually stretched itself on my head. Leather sweatbands shrink with heat and perspiration, even if the felt might not.

Brad

Viper Man

Banned
and the JFK thing again? I don't think anyone who writes these articles does anything more than Google "hat comeback", cut and paste, and add their interviews with the local hatter/wearer.

:eusa_clap I'm soo sick of that JFK crap. As an interesting aside, I met Neil Steinberg (Chicago Sun Times columnist & author of "Hatless Jack") in November and he told me that "Hatless Jack" was his favorite book to write. He really seemed to dig the Cavanagh I was wearing although he confided that he doesn't wear hats himself. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot