Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Heavy" horse hide, I'll say....

Doublegun

Practically Family
So I have been wearing my new LHB around the house since I got it a week ago. Yesterday I hung it up in my office closet, hoping to keep it off my wife's radar. The thing pulled the entire rack off the wall. Ok, my carpentry skills are not that good and I am sure that had something to do with why the rack pulled out of the wall, but that LHB was the proverbial straw.

These Aero coats are really something to behold. The quality of the materials, the workmanship, the overall appearance are just stunning.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Speaking of Aero hanging loops...I have been wondering if the chain loop on my Aero B-3 can sustain the weight of the jacket. It looks pretty substansial but the jacket is very heavy. Does anyone have experience with this?

Peacoat

Bartender
Doublegun, your problem lies in your wanting to put the jacket on a hanger and store it the traditional way. That way they can be easily counted by suspicious wives. I take my leather jackets and throw them on the floor of my closet. A new acquisition might be placed under one or two older models. Normally it is the new and younger model that wives find objectionable.

Sure, the pile grows larger over time, but the growth is slow enough not to be noticeable to a casual glance. Plus living in the pile helps with the patina on the newer jackets, and it takes up a lot less valuable hanger space. Of course with all of my peacoats on hangers, I just don't have room for those leather jackets, except on the floor!

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I agree.. their fqhh makes for a heavy jacket, but even so my LHB weighs in at less than both my mid and heavy weight Langlitz Cascades. My midweight Cascade is around 7.2 lb, heavyweight if I remember was closer to 8 lb, and my new LHB is a trim 7.0. Still a heavy jacket but I figured it would easily outweight both because of it's added length and larger size.

Tommer

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Tommer45 said:
I agree.. their fqhh makes for a heavy jacket, but even so my LHB weighs in at less than both my mid and heavy weight Langlitz Cascades. My midweight Cascade is around 7.2 lb, heavyweight if I remember was closer to 8 lb, and my new LHB is a trim 7.0. Still a heavy jacket but I figured it would easily outweight both because of it's added length and larger size.

Tommer

Questioning the primacy of Aero Leather! With facts no less! Heresy. Burn him, burn him.

JLStorm

Practically Family
miles_archer said:
Speaking of Aero hanging loops...I have been wondering if the chain loop on my Aero B-3 can sustain the weight of the jacket. It looks pretty substansial but the jacket is very heavy. Does anyone have experience with this?

no. Aero recommends that you dont hang the shearling jackets at all. The chain is just for looks, I had it left off mine because it is useless for the most part. Im sure back in the day, they hung their jackets, until the chain eventually broke or ripped out.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Nice one Doublegun... I have to second the opinion of tossing your Aero's to the bottom of the closet. Don't forget to pull them out for airing however...

This thread has got me wondering: is Aero's FQHH the same weight as a vintage horsehide jacket? I've heard stories of Amelia Earhart sleeping in her new flight jacket to break it in, but I wonder if the modern hides are any heavier. The few vintage jackets that I've handled certainly seem a bit lighter...

Doublegun

Practically Family
RP McMurphy said:
Nice one Doublegun... I have to second the opinion of tossing your Aero's to the bottom of the closet. Don't forget to pull them out for airing however...

This thread has got me wondering: is Aero's FQHH the same weight as a vintage horsehide jacket? I've heard stories of Amelia Earhart sleeping in her new flight jacket to break it in, but I wonder if the modern hides are any heavier. The few vintage jackets that I've handled certainly seem a bit lighter...

Air it out hell, once the weather cools I may never take it off. Regarding AE, I'll confess that I have napped in mine already in hopes of helping to break it in.

RP McMurphy said:

RP
I've had many vintage HH jackets over the years...and never run across one near as heavy as Aero's Regular FQHH. In fact..their hide is quite unique in many ways compared to other makers even today.
HD

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I've even heard that vintage horsehide motorcycle jackets weren't even as heavy as most of what is made today.

Tommer

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Huh...

Thought so... I suppose there wouldn't be much weight lost due to the oils leaving the leather over the decades?

I have a LHB from Aero made of "crazy horse" FQHH, a sale item that I nabbed to go with my Bootlegger. Though the tag says it is FQHH, it feels much lighter and pliable than the standard hide of my Bootlegger... anybody else run into this phenomenon?

John Lever

One Too Many
miles_archer said:
Don't do that !
It will rip out eventually. Always store them flat.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
^^ I didn't know Aeros were supposed to be stored flat. I hung mine in the closet with the rest of "the gang". Learn something new every day here! :)

skibum69

New in Town
If I remember correctly my heavy Langlitz pocket Columbia weighs in at 10 lbs or pretty close to it. I've slept in it, but that's from necessity. I think my next one will be goat for increased mobility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn