Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavyweight Denim Shirts

Sonero

Practically Family

Interesting look for Halloween but I wouldn't be caught dead in that. :)
I disagree that denim shirts need to be western inspired. I like the ones which model a standard work shirt but in denim. Carhartt has had decent models as well as Dickies but those two companies are not on the same level anymore.

Now having fixes for wabash work shirts. Some come in 13oz cotton. Thicker than most denim shirts on the market.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I love smocks and anoraks. This one instantly made me think of utilitarian, bare-bones garments of communist Mao China.

Here's a picture of one of those Levi Diamond line shirts. Not western style at all, and when you can find these in less worn condition, they are a deep indigo blue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Levis-Diamond-Label-Dark-Wash-Denim-Shirt-Mens-Large-/223150269887

Sonero

Practically Family
That Carhartt shirt is probably the only decent denim shirt I found at the usual retailers. The problem I have with it is the slub texture in the denim. Usually "slub" is a less than desirable denim therefore cheaper to produce. Otherwise maybe a little too blue collar for me at this point in my life and how I wear my denim.

That Duluth shirt with dark denim and white stitching is what I am looking for. Nice shirt but 7.5 oz is still a little light and the pearl buttons make me a bit squeamish.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That Carhartt shirt is probably the only decent denim shirt I found at the usual retailers. The problem I have with it is the slub texture in the denim. Usually "slub" is a less than desirable denim therefore cheaper to produce. Otherwise maybe a little too blue collar for me at this point in my life and how I wear my denim.

That Duluth shirt with dark denim and white stitching is what I am looking for. Nice shirt but 7.5 oz is still a little light and the pearl buttons make me a bit squeamish.

Cool, thanks for the input. I have never heard of the term "slub" so that's new one to me. Learn something new every day! I may suggest reaching out to "dudewhattheheck" in these forums (Jackets & boots mostly - his website is Almost Vintage Style) as he is in LA and may have some ideas for you. See here: https://almostvintagestyle.com/category/shirts-and-knitwear/

Sonero

Practically Family
Cool, thanks for the input. I have never heard of the term "slub" so that's new one to me. Learn something new every day! I may suggest reaching out to "dudewhattheheck" in these forums (Jackets & boots mostly - his website is Almost Vintage Style) as he is in LA and may have some ideas for you. See here: https://almostvintagestyle.com/category/shirts-and-knitwear/

Thanks. This is a great link. The guy definitely has a pulse on what I am looking for. Freewheeler has nice things. I found a shirt I liked for 380 Pounds. Not doable but great looking. The Japanese brands are the way to go for American work shirts for sure.

Sonero

Practically Family
LEE has what I need.
6MW1007-HERO.jpeg

Though I appreciate the op’s desire to steer away from western styling it doesn’t mean I understand it as pearl snap shirts are about all I wear in long sleeve shirts. My favorite heavy denim shirts are the western Carhartt’s I wore in the 80’s and 90’s up until they discontinued the line around 2000. I either out grew or wore out the ones I had but like most things we miss, look long enough and it’ll turn up on the bay. I’ve picked up a few of these lately. The first iteration (pictured) is my true favorite in a heavy denim. I don’t know weights but I’d guess 10-12 oz. with folded double sewn seams. Pockets big enough to hold an iPhone with a pen slot I find handy for glasses. I have these in red, black and khaki as well and they come in actual neck x sleeve length fits along with a couple of other colors.
2E8507E1-AC22-4129-B709-D10DA943F36E.jpeg

The second iteration, though still well made had some cost cutting changes. Still US made and in actual sizes, the seams are different, fabric seems a bit lighter and the pockets are smaller. The carhartt label is sewn horizontally, directly under the pen slot of the left pocket flap. The third iteration has other changes most notably overseas mfg. and a change to S-XL sizing. The label is sewn on the vertical seam of the left pocket. The fit is a bit different on all of these. The usual measurements work best.

Sonero

Practically Family
^ Carhartt used to make some really nice denim shirts. I was a die hard Carhartt fan for years until their clothes started looking like a made in Pakistan construction worker. Quality to the max. Even their famous thermal lined hoodies have gone to crap. They aren't as thick as they used to be.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Received the Wrangler 16.5 x 37" shirt today. Long - very long. Rigid, check. See light through - check. Wrinkle at a close look - check. Didn't take intial out of the bag photos. It's lighter and stiffer than a traditional "denim" shirt.

Sent the shirt into the wash with fabric softener with extra rinse. We'll see how it does after that. Fit was good, may shrink up a bit as it gets a wash or two.

abone

A-List Customer
OK. I guess its just one of these BESPOKE things. They have exactly what I am looking for. I am surprised that Bravestar Selvedge doesn't make denim shirts.
Bravestar Selvedge do make a heavy denim shirt....I have one. It's currently out of production, but I am sure it will be reissued again. Keep an eye on their website or give them a shout.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Oddly enough, I found a medium weight denim shirt at Tractor Supply - made by Schmidt. Might not be quite as thick a you want but the price was great and the shirt is thicker than the others which are readily available. Beat the one by Dickies easily.

Fed

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Schmidt shirts & jeans typically are well made. Might be a house brand of TSC but not sure.

Never followed up on the Wrangler post wash & dry - probably made a big mistake drying it in the air-dryer but it shrunk up quite a bit - and wrinkled up even more. Sigh. Should have returned it while I had the chance. I no longer even own an iron, gave up on ironing anything years ago. May send to a dry cleaner to see what they can do with it. Be aware of this, I do not reccommend that model now.

Last edited:

Sonero

Practically Family
I am very happy with my L'Artisan denim shirt 14oz from Okayama Denim. Fit is spot on.
After many searches online I found this to be the most fairly priced @ $140. Quality of denim is excellent. I don't think I could have done better anyplace else.
Sizes run very trim with this line. Pay attention to the size chart.
20201113_142808.jpg
20201113_142730.jpg

Last edited:

Sonero

Practically Family
That looks really nice! Good proce for it too, it should last a long time.
That looks really nice! Good proce for it too, it should last a long time.
Thanks. What upsets me about the Japanese denim shirts is they never add extra buttons anywhere. Frustrating on such an expensive shirt. I buy JC Penney dress shirts and they all come with extra buttons.

Sonero

Practically Family
Received my first Gustin purchase today. The Japan Black Heavy Workshirt.
First Impression : " WOW "
Excellent beefy quality. No disappointment at all. One minor issue that I hope will be corrected after a soak. It tends to runa little long in the body and sleeves. The fabric is raw so I assume it will shrink the little that I need. Otherwise yeah WOW I just ordered two more shirts. I am on the Gustin bandwagon. Comparable to my shirt purchase above from Japan.

Thanks to The Fedora Lounge. Once again I would never find this on my own.
Thank You
20201219_195140.jpg
20201219_195119.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran