Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello All, Just found the Board!

wldthistle

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm doing it in the hat forum since that's how I found the site. :)

Name's Greg. I'm 25, and am attending law school in Washington, DC. I don't have many hats compared to most of you - in fact, only one of them might be called a fedora. I enjoy clothing in general, things old-fashioned (like etiquette!), and wish people dressed more like they used to, with hats! I don't have as many occasions as I'd like to dress up, so wear caps more than anything (not baseball caps [unless I'm kayaking or something], but ones more like this one or this one. I'd like to enlarge my hat collection... Just ordered this Austrian hat in olive green, and am currently looking at those Russian fur hats. I know they don't seem too popular around this board, but it's been getting cold around here! I can also see a Montecristi hat in my future, likely from Panama Bob.

Thank you everyone for creating such a wonderful forum. It's truly a wealth of information, and I've learned a lot in the past few days, reading thread after thread.

Cheers,
Greg

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Greetings, Greg!!

wldthistle said:
Thank you everyone for creating such a wonderful forum. It's truly a wealth of information, and I've learned a lot in the past few days, reading thread after thread.

Yeah, you'll find this place is like that... just when I think I know everything (and at 26 I'm still young enough to think that every now and then lol), I'll read an old thread or something new will come up and I'll go, "Oooohhh... okay. :) "

Welcome to the gang -- put your feet up, have a :beer: , and have fun!

-Tofu

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge!

The advice I would offer is don't spend too much money yet as odds are your tastes and knowledge will grow significantly over the next few months. That's easier advice to give than to take, believe me.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

The advice I would offer is don't spend too much money yet as odds are your tastes and knowledge will grow significantly over the next few months. That's easier advice to give than to take, believe me.

Concurred. I made some pretty rash buying decisions early on, not just in regards to hats, but clothing in general, because I wanted a huge wardrobe "here AND NOW"... and now I'm saddled with shirts and hats (and a jacket or two) that I just plain don't wear. :eusa_doh:

And before anybody pounces, it's nothing vintage or valuable... you sharks. ;) :D

Be patient, learn, grow, and enjoy.

Cheers,
Tofu

wldthistle

New in Town
AlanC said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

Saying I should go with the muskrat rather than the mink? ;-)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. It's always great to find people with like interests.

-Greg

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Welcome Greg. I found the lounge looking for a fedora, now I own three Akubras. Only one is a fedora, but I like hats in general so this is a great site as hats of all kinds are discussed here.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Welcom aboard!

Hey, don't worry about what's popular. Be yourself and wear what makes you happy. Anyone who wears anything other than baseball caps can't be particularly concerned with what's popular. I go weeks without seeing another person in a 'real' hat.

As a lawyer (to be), you should get a seersucker suit in white with the blue stripes and a staw hat. Then will put you on the old country lawyer track. I saw such a suit in Men's Wearhouse that had been ordered for a local attorney.

Justdog

Practically Family
Welcome

Nice post, good luck in your career. Nice hats. Wear what you like and feel good. I am learning lots here and it is refreshinlgly civil.

AlanC

ScottyBlues said:
As a lawyer (to be), you should get a seersucker suit in white with the blue stripes and a staw hat.

I agree...

p1011059xk3.jpg

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Welcome. I'm new here as well. I came looking for a decent place to have a fedora custom made, and have had lots of pointers in a very short time. One thing is for sure, you're going to be steered in the right direction, and it doens't matter just which direction(s) you want to go, either. :)

Stan

Jovan

Suspended
AlanC said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

God, I learned that the hard way. :eusa_doh:

Welcome, Greg!

wldthistle

New in Town
AlanC said:
I agree...

p1011059xk3.jpg

Hey, that's the kind of Panama I'm really drawn to. I'm not ready to take the plunge yet, but it's going to be a hard decision between an Optimo and something more "standard". How many panamas do you have?

-Greg

AlanC

wldthistle said:
Hey, that's the kind of Panama I'm really drawn to. I'm not ready to take the plunge yet, but it's going to be a hard decision between an Optimo and something more "standard". How many panamas do you have?

I just have the one Montecristi. It's a Panama Bob hat blocked by Art Fawcett. I also have a couple of beater Cuencas I got from Bob for knocking around in. I need to add more straws, though. I'm way too heavily weighted toward felts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner