Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello and Aero Hercules request

• Thread starter Deleted member 6442
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6442

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but I've been a member over at Club Obi Wan for a while. As a follower of all things Golden Era I guess it was inevitable I'd end up here sooner or later!

I'm thinking of ordering an Aero Hercules jacket in brown (I already own a black Veste De Rallye) and wondered if anyone has any pictures of one in any colour/leather? I've tried searching but didn't come up with much...

All best wishes
Alex

D

Deleted member 6442

Hi Jan

Those links are great. Many thanks. Really helpful.

Yes, I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Hercules in brown. But not going to have the diagonal chest pocket and will have an interior pocket put in. Also I'll be going for a cotton lining because I had to have the alpaca lining replaced with cotton on my Veste De Rallye because it was so hot. Couldn't put it on without breaking out in a sweat.

The halfbelt is nice - it's basically this jacket, right? But I like the additional piping and flash pocket flaps on the Hercules.

Saw your jacket collection on another thread, Jan. Very impressive.

Cheers
Alex

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks for your kind words. The Hercules basically is a Long Halfbelt with certain bits and pieces added or changed. And I have to say that I played with the idea of ordering one more than once. It simply is a very nice design and I also love the cool pocket flaps.
Cotton drill for the lining is always a good choice. It suits the style of the jacket and it's probably the most durable lining Aero offers. For my last jacket I ordered a cotton lining (for durablity) with a synthetic rayon ling on top (for ease of wear). Rayon on its own would be too delicate to wear alone as the internal seams of the jacket shell would destroy it from the inside.
I personally recommend cotton + synthetic overlay especially for the sleeves as it makes the jacket much easier to slip on and to wear. It really helps a lot. Aero has done this a thousand times. The synthic sleeve lining and the brown cotton drill for the body almost look identical in colour which is nice.

Good luck with your jacket.

Jan

D

Deleted member 6442

Thanks, James. That's a really good-looking jacket. The colours and textures are great. And this is FQHH in brown?

I was thinking about the oil pull in a mid-weight leather but apparently that's a little waxy to touch which I'm not sure about. But if that's a FQHH brown after a few months wear then that'll do me.

Cheers
Alex

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Yes it’s FQH in brown.

It is a bit waxy which I personally like.

It can feel cold to the touch.

I find it's warm and comfortable to wear; especially now it has softened.

James.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Go with brown FQ HH. It simply is Aero's trademark leather and it really improves with age.
The current batch of oil-pull HH has a very low wax content. For this reason it is quite light in colour and has an almost nubuck like surface. I've tried to capture that on a couple of detail shots of my father's A1. The jacket is brand new and it already looks quite worn. But I must admit that it is really soft and feels quite luxurious.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3026794003_b6dff38cd6.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3026794005_277c71b7c4.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/3026793995_19686d988f.jpg?v=0

D

Deleted member 6442

Thanks for those pics, Jan. I was drawn to the matt look of the oil pull but having seen the characterful way the FQHH brown ages I'll definitely have to go with that...

Jan or James do you have any tips on sizing? I've been asked for my height, chest (relaxed, expanded), waist and stomach. Do Aero tend to go a little roomy? I want it to be snug. My Veste De Rallye fits OK but I've always felt there's a bit too much leather - if that makes sense?

Cheers
Alex

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JanSolo said:
http://www.kentaurus.de/hercules.html

Good luck with your jacket. The Hercules is a very nice model. Have you also considered the standard Long Halfbelt?
The photos on the German site above are, interestingly, of
a Hercules that has been worn some. It reminded me of the
pictures Graemsay posted when he sold his Hercules on Classifieds here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28881

My problem with both of these sets of photos is that the Hercules
tends to look baggy and the hand warming pockets stretch out, adding
extra bagginess to the bottom of the jacket. I wish it retained the
smoothness and structure you see in those photos of new jackets that
Aero posts. Don't get me wrong, I like worn old leather. But for some
reason the Hercules doesn't seem to wear the same way as other
Aero jackets. I've seen a bit of that around the pockets on pictures
of Half Belts... Anyway, it's just two jackets, so I don't know what to
think. If there are other Hercules owners, please post.

I wrote Amanda and she seemed imply that the Hercules was a
different cut from the Half Belt. She thought the Hercules would
suit "any body type". Not sure what difference there is in the cut.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
morganswift said:
Jan or James do you have any tips on sizing? I've been asked for my height, chest (relaxed, expanded), waist and stomach. Do Aero tend to go a little roomy? I want it to be snug. My Veste De Rallye fits OK but I've always felt there's a bit too much leather - if that makes sense?

Cheers
Alex

Firstly I would say go with Aeros recommendation.

The LHB (I believe) should not fit as snug as an A2.

I am just under 41” in the chest relaxed and My Aero LHB fits more like a 42 although it is tagged 40.

I could wear a 38 in this jacket but I am happy that the LHB is roomier, as I said I would not like it too snug in this style.

Hope this helps.

James.

P.S Yes I have rode in the rain in this jacket!!!

D

Deleted member 6442

Thanks, James. That is helpful. I know what you mean - the LHB and Hercules are longer than an A2 so they're almost straying into overcoat territory so there does need to be a little more room.

Cheers
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran