Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello! And some advice for an Akubra, please!

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
I am new and would like to introduce myself.
My name is Alex and I live in Germany. 49 years old I am working in a store for outdoor/backpacking/mountaineering equipment.
In the past I wore caps etc more for keeping warm in winter and have some shade in summer. But in the last weeks I developed an interest for hats as regular garments, having found out out that I feel more dressed and sort of better protected with a lid on my head.
Here in Germany, hats are dead. In my hometown,the last store to carry canes, umbrellas and hats died 5 years ago. Very seldom one sees an old gentleman, dressed formally with suit and tie and wearing a hat, too. Everyone else is into any sort of (baseball)-cap, which, speaking frankly, I cant stand at all. Especially with the brim being worn sideways or in the back, yeuch. Some, mostly middle-aged and beer-gut-swinging males wear cowboy-style hats, which gives IMO a likewise embarressing appearance in a higly urbanized environment.
The last week I spent on the web and found this forum by chance. I used it intensively to check the worldwide availability of hats and more bdetailed to try to understand the many ever so slightdifferences in Akubra`s range of hats.
Two days ago I visited another larger city beacuase I had found a small shop who stocked some Akubras and there I tried to find one for me. I was looking for more of an Outdoorsmans hat, but wanted neither to look like the Lone Rider or Crocodile Dundee. Not in a month of sundays. Also, having quite a large and long-oval head (I measure 61.5cm and my Tilles are 7 3/4) makes selection not easier.
Please comment on this:
The Coolabah and Cooper Pedy I found to have far too large brims and quite high crowns.
Lawson and Flinders were hart and unyielding like cardboard boxes and more round than all the others.
Banjo Paterson wasnt even close to my size in stock, but I liked its shape very much and prefer it to the others.
The Traveller was available in 61, looked fantastic on my head, but pinched my forehead and back even when worn tilted up in front (there were gaps above my ears, though). No 62 ofcourse, Bummer!
Three out of these six hats didnt even come with sweatband made of leather.
I very much like the idea of custom-shaping hat, be it beating an Open Crown
in the preferred shape or turning a brim down for this more casual look. Currently I am even on the look out for a waterkettle for this purpose.
So now I will order DownUnder, very probably a BP.
What do you think would be similar to Traveller and BP?
Stockman (with the brim worked down)
Angler ( how I would love to make my own Pugaree)
Campdraft (likewise the crown)
Stylemaster or Leisure Time (for the more formal look).

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Others willl surely answer your questions. Until then, I will just say welcome to the Lounge. We look forward to hearing (and perhaps seeing) from you again -

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello Alex and welcome, here! This thread might be of interest for you. For the Akubras, it might be worth to check the relevant threads. ;)

carldelo

One Too Many
Welcome

If you like the Banjo Paterson the best, then I say go for it. As it happens, they are on sale at Noggintops (in the US) and they appear to have your size 62 in stock in fawn and charcoal - I have had good experiences with this vendor.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=27

The downside is that they are more expensive than ordering direct from Australia. The hat is also available from David Morgan, a Lounge sponsor. I'm sure Everything Australian will have one made for you in size 62 for less $$$, but you would have to wait a couple of months to get it.

Welcome to the lounge, and good luck. Us Size 62 guys have a little more trouble finding nice hats, but they're out there.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Kreissaege! The Akubras are well loved, particularly the Federation(s) and the Campdraft. There are threads dedicated to Akubras in general, and also various models. The Campdrafts closely resemble a vinatge Stetson Open Road, and are a cheaper alternative to the sometimes pricey vintage market. Check out www.hatsdirect.com for a great selection. I myself have a Fed 3 Deluxe and love it; good value for the money. Enjoy the hunt!

-AFI

billyspew

One Too Many
Welcome!
I would have to weigh in with the Camp Draft. great hat, in nice colours, ca be used as a slightly dressier option too.
I have two, the Tawny Fawn and Bluegrass Green.
Whatever one you order though be sure to email them first to see if they have your size in stock.

TTFN,

Bill

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge. Choosing Akubra is a decision you will not regret. www.Hatsdirect.com is the source I would recommend. For open crown "federation" or "Campdraft" you can't go wrong.
Johnny

Corky

Practically Family
Get an open crown Camp Draft and put on your own leather band...

Get an open crown Camp Draft and put on your own leather band...

green-1a.jpg

Aerol

A-List Customer
head shape

If your hats are tight in the front and back, but loose on the sides, you have a Long Oval head. Be sure to tell anyone from whom you purchase that you have this; it may change your requirements.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
New hat enthusiast

Akubra makes a very nice hat for the money, I have several and have sold many others. They make good starter hats BUT if you are serious about getting a hat and are hard to fit please consider one of our resident hatters. They can make you a custom hat to your exact specifications and you will love it!
The cost is more than an off-the-shelf hat but you will only buy it once. Most of us have gone through a lot of hats, vintage and otherwise, only to discover that the custom hat is the only way to go. Meanwhile. we spent a lot of money learning that lesson.

jeboat:) :) :)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge, sir! I would recommend the Camp Draft or the Fed IV styles (particularly the Camp Draft) as a great place to start. I also use Hats Direct as their shipping is ultra-fast and the customer service is great.

TheShadowKnows

New in Town
Akubra Stockman

Alex, welcome to the FL! I currently own an Akubra Stockman, and without a doubt, it is the best hat I've ever owned and worn. I have just ordered an Angler from David Morgan (for my boating/fishing adventures) and a Banjo Paterson (from HatsDirect). I can't wait to get them both. If you measure your head correctly, you shouldn't have any fitting problems. Also, David Morgan (and I assume HatsDirect) will include some foam pieces to place behind the sweatband for a better fit. These are helpful with a long-oval shape. Also, it seems that the Akubras will "adjust" to fit your head, either by your sweating, or a light rain, then normal drying.
I like the Stockman and the Banjo Paterson for their slightly shorter brims and lower crowns. For me, it's a better look. The Stockman has a tad of a "western" look to it, but garners compliments wherever I wear it. I'm excited to get the two new ones, but sad that I'll be wearing my Stockman a bit less. Keep us informed of your decision!

Michael Bonner

New in Town
Long oval Akubra

I, too, suffer from the long oval curse. Akubra will custom make many hats (I know both the CampDraft and the Squatter, probably most any style) in long oval sizes up to 64; likewise, David Morgan will "long oval" hats for an additional charge.

Don't worry too much about stiffness; in my experience the Akubra's will soften up fairly quickly with wear.

Go for it!

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I conformed my Fed IV deluxe to my long oval head by temporarily adding ~4" foam strips at the front and back (only) of the hat. I removed the foam after a few weeks and now the hat fits well.

This might not work on a stiffer hat, and obviously it will take ages if you don't wear the hat often. I had my homburg reblocked with a long oval block because I figured I'd never wear it enough to conform it "naturally".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran