Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help dating a picture and clothes

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hi All,

From time to time, I dabble in my families genealogy. I have a picture of my grandmother's sister, Mamie Irene Riley (married name unknown). I believe she was born prior to 1893 and died in 1988. However, I'm have no idea when this picture was taken of her and her family. Can any one help me date it via clothing or backdrop? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

lillyevelynrileylewelly.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Thanks,
Brian

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I wish there was some way I could contact anyone of them that might be still living. Maybe they would have more pictures. I was happy and sad when I found this photo. Yea! Family! Booo! No hats!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, can you guys mention WHAT from the photograph caused you to state that it's from 1936 to 1938? For being 70 years ago, that's a pretty small window. Personally, I have no clue beyond BASIC fashion trends, etc. I know it was probably taken before the 1980's because it's not in color other than that...

Thanks

Flat Foot Floey

Hi, can you guys mention WHAT from the photograph caused you to state that it's from 1936 to 1938? For being 70 years ago, that's a pretty small window. Personally, I have no clue beyond BASIC fashion trends, etc. I know it was probably taken before the 1980's because it's not in color other than that...

Thanks
On the women
-the hairstyle (in the picture it is bobbed and rather close to the head, 40s would have longer hair)
-the waistline on the dresses (20s would be lower, 30s is at the natural waist)
-shoulders (no padding 1930, more padding 38-40s)
-we can't see the skirt lenght but it would be a feature too
-other features like the contrast collars or decorative buttons

everything points to the 30s but I could tell an exact year

I have to confess that I am not good in dating menswear from pictures. For beginners you look at the shoulders & lapels and the width of the pants legs but then... I just have to learn more.

1961MJS

Thanks Flatfoot, I'll go home and see if I can confirm that in my Mom and Dads' pictures from their childhood. Dad was 12 years older than Mom, so I have some different times to check. I have an album from both my Dad and my Mom's parents, but my Dad's are from after WW2. Mom's are both before and after.

Later

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Yup, 37-38. The women's dresses give it away. The puff sleeve and "dolie"-looking collar was big around 1937-38. I know this from sewing my own and studying the heck out of photos of "regular" people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails