Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating Two Hats

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband recently inherited two fedoras from his grandfather, and I am curious about what eras they date to. No one in the family remembers exactly when the grandfather wore these hats, but they gave them to my husband because they know he likes vintage clothing (well, hats and ties anyway. He has no interest in wearing suits or anything other vintage clothing, which is too bad. But I digress…)

Anyway, the first is a Featherweight Champ, and it came in the original box, which is printed with the slogan “No heavier than two packs of cigarettes!� and an illustration of a scale with the hat on one side, and the two packs of cigarettes on the other. This hat is light gray, with about a two inch snap brim and a fairly tall crown. I’m guessing this one is from the 40s.

The second is chocolate brown, with a much shorter brim and crown. I can’t remember the brand name, but it is made from a heavier weight felt. I’m guessing this one is a later piece, say 1950s-60s.

Both appear to have been well taken care of and are in excellent condition. I will try to add photos later, but I wanted to ask my question before I forgot!

I really cannot be sure but here are a few Champ hat ads:

1947Champ.jpg

1947 Champ

Champ.jpg

1948 Champ

Does it look like either of these?
The shorter brim would suggest 1960s. The two inch Champ could be 1950s on into the 1960s. Photos would be a big help.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy