Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! I have to wear a T-shirt (uniform) for my new job!!

Nikita B

New in Town
Fitted ts with small cap sleeves & the company logo on them. Various colours but very modern cuts. How do I retain my personal style while wearing my uniform? I need some inspiration and examples of how please ladies! I'm mostly 40's/50's...

lareine

A-List Customer
Your hair and makeup will go a long way, along with the right style of skirt/trousers and shoes. Hair and lipstick in particular can suggest a vintage look even if all the clothes are totally wrong. I'm sure you'll find some way to make it work, and the other members will be along with fabulous suggestions in no time :)

Nikita B

New in Town
Yep, I think I'm going to be amping the make up up a little (normally lightly contoured lids and red lips) and I can wear my own everything else. I got totally sprung with the size too small shirt this morning when I got in. I was wearing a pencil skirt with back hem ruffles, a black printed repro 40s chiffon blouse, beaded cardi, seamed fish nets and black patent mary-janes. Needless to say the brown, tight t with pale blue print resided awkwardly under my cardi all day. Love the job, hate having to dress down and wear modern digs.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Think about Diner workers! Cute scarf with the t-shirt, pencil skirt, sweet flat shoes and retro curls and red lipstick! You'll look like a doll!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Think about Diner workers! Cute scarf with the t-shirt, pencil skirt, sweet flat shoes and retro curls and red lipstick! You'll look like a doll!

My thoughts exactly!

08+-+waitress.jpg

I second the suggestion about hair and make-up, too. We wore t-shirts and pants at Sephora, and you can't say it detracted from our personal style's any :) You're lucky you only have to wear a uniform t-shirt.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
Are you co workers wearing the T-shirt with black trousers or something plain and boring?

I feel it's a opportunity you have to show them /every one how you can be stylish even with a plain T-shirt in the ways which have been said above more as it been a challenge than a style disaster I feel to brighten every one day.

I used to work all the time in a warehouse in jeans and tee shirts, with the sale team and office staff always in a shirt tie and suit, once in a while we would wear a shirt and tie just to prove we could dress up and be smart. every one from the cleaner to the MD would make a comment about our dress up days.

There is plenty of opportunity for nice hair style make up shoes etc etc

Last edited:

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
As long as the shoes are flat! I used to work in a nice clothes shop and we HAD to wear high-heels. Sounds nice and glam - until your feet literally bleed from being made to run around in heels for ten hours at a time!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
As long as the shoes are flat! I used to work in a nice clothes shop and we HAD to wear high-heels. Sounds nice and glam - until your feet literally bleed from being made to run around in heels for ten hours at a time!

This is so true - I quite literally hold the scars from bleeding retail feet!

Esme

One of the Regulars
I don't wear vintage clothing most of the time. I am plus size and have been on a super tight budget while my husband was looking for work, so I mostly wear black or gray very plain slacks to work. I wear as close to vintage styled tops as I can find, or plain sweaters and cardis. I still hear - oh you look so old timey or you have a vintage vibe.
I count on hair, makeup, jewelry, glasses, hats, etc. I do have a vintage 50's coat and some vintage type Fluevog shoes.
You can do it. Sorry you have to wear tee -shirts, what a PITA.

Nikita B

New in Town
I've looked online and I'm going to make some detachable peter pan collars and get some puff sleeve/mutton leg shrugs to give the Ts a more vintage vibe and dress them up a little so that I don't look as hodge podge. Paired with my usual hair and make up I think I'll survive.

I was actually having nightmares about Tshirts last night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails