Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identify the hats Bill Cosby is wearing

Petey21

New in Town
Can anyone please help me identify what kind of hats Bill Cosby is wearing in these pictures? Or at least what the style is called (brim, crown, material and such, I'm new to hats and don't know all the terms yet) and potential manufacturers? I always thought he wears nice hats on his show, and I've been looking for hats like these for a while, but it'd help if I know what I'm looking for. ;)

cosbyhat05.jpg

cosbyhat06.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
Those would be fedoras. Low tapered crowns, 4.5 inches I would guess, 1 1/4 inch? ribbon, 2 3/8"? brim, brim snapped down in front and back. You can buy them like that or get one with a snap brim and snap it yourself.

It's a fairly common shape these days, stetson has a bunch in that general mold. Not sure where you would find those particular color combinations, but they look great. You could go the custom route if you're really attached to those colors.

As for the hats as a whole, I think Mr. Cosby's face demands a fuller crown. He's also wearing them too high IMO.

Oh, if you're wondering about the hat in my avatar similar to hat #1, That's a vintage hat that I replaced the ribbon on. Another option if you want a color combo like that.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'd guess Makins, also.

I've been a fan of The Coz since the "I Spy" TV show in the '60s, in which he often wore a tweed Trilby that became so closely associated with famous actor/infamous drunk Rex Harrison that its style eventually became known as a Rex.

With the possible exception of Muddy Waters, Bill Cosby has the largest head I 've ever seen, so maybe the reason the hats in your photos are high on his head is because they simply weren't available in a large enough size to fit his pumpkin head. I'd estimate it's at least US 8/metric 64.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot