Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying comedy ca. 1950

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Many years ago I saw part of an old B&W movie on TV. It was a romantic comedy made soon after the war. A health nut/athlete was trying to woo a young widow with two adorable boys about 5 to 7 years old. The widow's husband had been killed while serving in the Navy.

Date of the movie, about 1948 give or take.

I recall the movie as starring Kirk Douglas although a search of his filmography reveals no such movie so I guess I was mistaken there.

One specific scene sticks in my mind. The hero keeps trying to date her but she wants nothing to do with him. He finally talks her into a date and he takes her to his favorite health food bar where he offers her a "Potassium Cocktail" at which she looks dubious. Until he assures her "It's non alcoholic" at which she looks even more dubious lol.

The other thing that sticks in my mind is that the boys like the guy even though their mom doesn't.

I assume they get married in the end but as I only saw the middle part of the movie I can't say for sure how it ended.

I would like to see the whole movie if I could find out what it was.

Does this ring a bell with anybody? Do you recall any such movie?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24