Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me figure out this hat (please)

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
is it a lords hat?
2q9xhqr.jpg

it molds like clay
21kcv9z.jpg

the felt is a long haired
20pwpah.jpg

a tag i couldn't get a shot of says SFINGY $45
ta27fm.jpg

SFINGY is not a typo its on the reproduce tag also
maybe its an alpine.
2nvxm4h.jpg

if anyone wants more pics any angle or whatever let me know its to small and i plan to sell it, not knowing waht to call it is a handycap its 7 1/8 btw

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's likely hare/rabbit felt, like almost all Borsos. That style is a pretty common late 60s/70s look with the narrow brim, "braided" band, and (it looks like) a robin hood-flanged brim - giving it that 3/4 of a bowl look.

sfinge = sphinx in Italian click

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks lefty your the best, still i wonder what style to call it i know its not a homburg, is calling it a fedora stretching the definition ?
p.s. i had no idea borsalino wasn't beaver felt the more i post here the more i learn.

My understanding is that a "lord's hat" is what I once called a homburg without an edge binding. Some person better versed on such matters (can't recall just who that was, right offa top o' my head) so informed me.

So, I don't think what you have there is a lord's hat. It looks like a nice lid, though. A fine example.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Midwest Boater said:
thanks lefty your the best, still i wonder what style to call it i know its not a homburg, is calling it a fedora stretching the definition ?
p.s. i had no idea borsalino wasn't beaver felt the more i post here the more i learn.

There are beaver Borsos, mink Borsos, and blends, but most are rabbit. What you've got is very much a fedora.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
great thanks again, ill be listing it as soon as i can figure out how to. its a waist for me to keep it. off topic is this borso rabbit ?
v489z6.jpg

2wpp8w9.jpg

15rzfhw.jpg

im not selling it but i value your opinion.

cptjeff

Practically Family
It's a blend of furs designed to sell at a $25 price point. It may have rabbit, hare and/or beaver in varying quantities.

And they're both fedoras, and both are what's known as a velor finish.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
My understanding is that a "lord's hat" is what I once called a homburg without an edge binding. Some person better versed on such matters (can't recall just who that was, right offa top o' my head) so informed me.

I suspect that "lord's hat" is strictly a British term, and that we never called them that here in the U.S.A., seeing as how we don't have lords here. I'm not sure what we would have called them; perhaps just a homburg.

Brad

tonyb said:

So, I don't think what you have there is a lord's hat. It looks like a nice lid, though. A fine example.

Homburgs (from Edward's time) usually didn't have edge binding.

mayserwegener said:
Homburgs (from Edward's time) usually didn't have edge binding.

So they were still called homburgs, then? Any idea when and where this "lord's hat" usage -- for a homburg style hat sans edge binding -- sprang up?

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks so much gentlemen ill list the one as a fedora and the other ill keep. this site is so friendly and informative. my hats off to you all. ;)

tonyb said:
So they were still called homburgs, then? Any idea when and where this "lord's hat" usage -- for a homburg style hat sans edge binding -- sprang up?

The Homburg goes back to 1882.

"According to a Wikipedia entry (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_(Hut)) the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) commissioned Möckel Hatter of Bad Homburg on the 29th of August 1882 to make a Homburg hat for him. He was not the inventor, however. His German nephew Emperor Wilhelm II already wore one in green for hunting. Edward had an affection to like it and had one made in gray."

I believe this is a original Möckel Homburg from the Bad Homburg City museum collection.

2e5d3972343a7805bdd82790c86059bc.jpg

Möckel was founded in 1806 Bad Homburg, Germany. A industrialized hat factory was started by Phillip Möckel in 1856.

A hat called Homburg
The Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VII of England, and Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, have one thing in common: their love of the Homburg. The former created it, the latter then turned it into a fashionable hat in more recent times. During his visits to Homburg, the English Prince occasionally met his nephew, Kaiser Wilhelm II., who liked to wear a special hunting uniform, which comprised, amongst other things, a green hat with the brim rolled slightly inwards on one side. Edward, who had the reputation of being one of the best-dressed men at the close of the 19th century, decided to have the hat made in an elegant shade of grey – by the Homburg-based hat manufacturers Möckel, who were even awarded a patent for their “Homburg”. The new hat quickly took the world of men’s fashions by storm, surpassing the stiff top hat and bowler hat that had until then been the usual mode of attire. The lightweight, casually-elegant “Homburg” was representative of the new joy of living. Later on, the “Homburg” was also manufactured in blue and black, although Adenauer always preferred the original grey.

Thanks, mayerswegener, for digging that up. Quite informative.

But, does anyone here happen to know more about this "lord's hat" thing, besides the consensus that Midwest Boater's fuzzy Borsalino fedora ain't one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80