Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me identify this vintage jacket

rnx

New in Town
Years ago I got some vintage biker jacket. It was advertised as horsehide, but probably it's made actually from very good steerhide. As it has no original tags (only one about cleaning), then it's hard to tell. But anyway it's very good cut and fits me really well. The hide is too damaged to be wearable, but it's really nice piece of history. Main and sleeve zippers seem to be not originals, main is manufactured by Scoville, solid brass and seems to be really good one, sleeves have different noname cheap potmetal ones. Zippers for pockets seem to be originals, can't tell the model of these, but I have seen these on many 50's and 60's era jackets (who knows how is this style called?). Lining is black quilted polyester and filled with some kind of greyish wool scrap. Pockets are lined with olive drab nylon that is very stiff (probably from age).

Just curious if someone could identify the manufacturer or model of this jacket?

Some pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Harley Davidson, I would say. Can't say if it's the White tag or the AMF, though. Someone else will know. :)

rnx

New in Town
Guess about being HD seems to be true, but I couldn't date it. I surfed last night around and tried to find pictures from different era HD jackets. It seems that many, if not all pre AMF white labels used acrylic interlining, not scrapped and pressed wool like this, not sure about AMF era, but as things went cheaper, then I think AMF era should use acrylic too. And on all pictures I have found about pockets, there is white or grey cotton(ish) lining, not olive drab nylon. If I look on eBay auction pictures, it seems that AMF era jackets used much cheaper and grainier looking leather too, this one seems to be made of more like leather from golden ages (smooth, thick and shiny kind and very consistent over the jacket). And looking on zippers, it seems belong more to 60's than 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran