Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me plan a playlist for a cocktail party!

book_lover

Familiar Face
OK so the party isn't until I finish my PhD (a reward, if you like) BUT a good playlist for my iPod needs time to plan. I was thinking I would go down the route of classic cocktails (may need help on that one too!) rather than overly fruity and dayglo creations........ am at the mo getting quite into cocktails but have a lot to learn.

Anyway, this is about tunes so.....

Can you help me with this? I know very very little about Golden Era music. I don't like anything too cheesy, but timeless classics, as well as some quite obscure records too. What would YOU play at a cocktail party?

I can't go OTT on the whole 1940s theme, as my house is very, shall we say quirky and unless I win the lottery I can't do much about that right now. But music, and cocktails, and certainly I will dress in vintage style and attempt to do my hair. I can't make others dress vintage style but I can insist they DO get dressed up, oh yes.

Anyway, your music recommendations would be happily appreciated! Jazz and Blues too....

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Theme or Time Frame...

Do you have a certain time frame in mind (30's , 40's) or a particular theme that you are working with ?

What kind of people are you expecting ?

You say the house is small. So, does that mean no dancing ?

book_lover

Familiar Face
raiderrescuer said:
Do you have a certain time frame in mind (30's , 40's) or a particular theme that you are working with ?

What kind of people are you expecting ?

You say the house is small. So, does that mean no dancing ?

not small, no. plenty of room for dancing :) not a mansion either, mind!

so is big band sort of music not different from those (or a different time period)? I told you I didn't know much!

All sorts of people, from mid twenties to mid fifties! Very eclectic group of friends, very open minded mostly - would appreciate a themed party... might even be able to convince SOME of them to go along with the theme (dress up). I just thought a sort of 40s Hollywood style cocktail party theme, but very vague. Sorry it's not more specific! I don't mind if the music is spread over, say a decade.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My first choice would be the Rat Pack: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr. Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong would be appropos, also. It's not strictly 40s, but I think it's in the right spirit.

If the party needs to be livened up, Benny Goodman and Roy Eldridge would help.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Oh boy this is fun, you got to have some swingjazz, ragtime on it.

Maby go to the library and borrow some CD´s (and get help), they probably got loads of good stuff!

My faves would be:
Duke Ellington (Original goood stuff)
Anita O'Day (A chick who knows to sing)
Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb (good singing, good drums)
Benny Goodman (Massproducer of hits)
Glen Miller (proper and sometimes slow)
Artie Shaw (A bit different than the others)

God luck and Swing on!

Salv

One Too Many
How are you planning to play the music? Will it be MP3s on the iPod via a hi-fi? If so I did a MP3 CD for Paddy a little while ago that was made up of various swing, jump blues and lounge stuff from the '40s through to the '60s. I can soon burn another copy and send that to you to give some stuff to start you off. There were several tracks by Ellington, Basie, Louis Jordan, Slim Gaillard and stuff by Fletcher Henderson, Earl Hines, Lionel Hampton and lots of others - 169 tracks in all running for almost 8 and half hours. You're bound to find some stuff in there that you like, plus I have some '50s and early '60s jazz, and a load more jump blues if you want. If you're interested PM me with an address and I'll burn the CD this afternoon and try to get it in the post tomorrow.

book_lover

Familiar Face
Twitch said:
Or you could freak everbody out and play era country music- Ernest Tubbs, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams, Gene Autry etc.:)

I've got a friend who runs a second hand and vintage record store - I would love LOVE to find something he hasn't come across - and to see his face as he tries to figure it out lol He seems to have this infinite knowledge when it comes to old music!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic