Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help, need some clarification from the experts!! What's the difference between...

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
a M445 A and a M445 B? Just wondering as they look similar. Are these jackets referred to as an ANJ4? Were these jackets issued to the Navy like the G-1s and the ANJ4 to the Air Force or are they the same jacket with different designations? I took a look at the ELC and Aero sites to find info but was unsuccessful.

Any and all help to clarify would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm no expert, but...

I do know the difference between the M445-A and B (there was also an M445) Basically, the M445-A doesn't have the goatskin belt around the waistline, the wind flap is made of sheepskin rather than goatskin (as in the B), the goatskin reinforcement on the sleeves is diamond-shaped rather than square (as in the B), and the zipper spans the length of the front, rather than stopping short and having buttons at the bottom (as in the B).

They were all US Navy (and Marine?) jackets (the 'M' tells us that). The Army/Navy (AN-J-4 ) jackets are similar but different.

I have a Willis and Geiger M445-A that is as rare as it is beautiful - a ridiculously well-made jacket for wartime production. Being mainly used to wartime 'Irvin' jacket construction I continue to be amazed at how much care and attention goes into these USN jackets.

John Lever

One Too Many
The m445a does have the goatskin belt and buttons with the square arm patches[at least mine does]. The m445 has no buttons and has diamond arm patches and the zip is full length up to the throat..
Not sure about the m445b...it could be something as small as whether the cuffs are sheep skin or goat skin.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
John,

I understand (from John Chapman) that there are detail differences - that some M445As and Bs have the same features. Possibly a result of over complication? I can only say what I have observed in the M445s and M445a that I have seen (and the one I own). For other examples (of the A and B versions but not M445) see John's excellent and useful flight jacket CD.

John Lever

One Too Many
I think you are correct. Some Anj-4 's are the same as the m445 variants.
Aero's [repro]I think is one of them.
Here's my Few M445-
IMGP1627.jpg

W & G M444-
WGM444002.jpg

RMNZ M445a -
RMNZM445a.jpg

I love the Navy sheepskins particularly because they have no wool at the waist and cuffs.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Thank you both Mr. Lever and Mr. Johnson for the clarification...

it is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! I am contemplating either picking up an original or repro. Leaning towards an original but don't know how wearable it would be since it would be more delicate than a repro. Guess I have to make a decision and go for it!! ;)

BTW, could you please tell me how the jacket fits? Same as a B-3 or Irvin or does it wear larger or slimmer? This question goes out to both an original such as your W & G and also the repros. Thanks again in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles