Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help on Finding the Right A2: Military Cut, Dark Seal, Red Knits

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm not a stickler for authenticity but I know I want a Dark Seal, 90% probably horsehide and with reddish knits. And I've gotten slim so I definitely want a trim, military cut. I think U.S. Authentic would fill the bill except I think their knits are brown. Goodwear is too much moolah as is Aero so I'm thinking Bill Kelso. Any recommendations on which model or perhaps another maker? I would go for their house model except it doesn't seem to come in Dark Seal. Of course I can write them with some of there queries, but first I wanted to know if there were other makers who offer military cut-dark seal-red knits? Thanks, in advance.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Don't overlook Gibson & Barnes in San Diego that might be worth the drive from Santa Monica. Their jackets are exceptionally well made.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Vespizzare;

U.S. Authentic would be a good choice. Not the most authentic by any stretch but a good jacket that uses a heavy quality HH. I had their HH A-2 for a few years and was more than satisfied with it. I think Shali Dover still runs that outfit and I know from personal experience he is a very accomodating guy willing to please the customer.
Fanch brings up a great point since you're not that far from San Diego.......drive down there and maybe you could cherry pick your hide. G&B A-2s are usually nicely finished examples as well. Perhaps you could, or could get, the knits dyed. An experienced tailor could remove the knits and then resew them usually using the original existing stitch holes.
Bill Kelso may be or soon to be having production problems although a fellow Lounge member just took delivery of an A-2.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Don't overlook Gibson & Barnes in San Diego that might be worth the drive from Santa Monica. Their jackets are exceptionally well made.

I know for a fact that Gibson and Barnes are cut sort of "generously," and I do want a trim, military fit. And I'm the type that would rather get what I want right out of the box than start changing or dying the knits on a brand new jacket.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
With all that you said, if it was me I would spring for the Aero 40-3785-P type A-2.........Seal with berry knits.

You'll get a quality built horsehide repro A-2 that will last you a lifetime. No it's not a Goodwear but you said you didn't want to spring that much cash.
Course you said the Aero was too expensive as well, the G&B too blousey, and didn't want to be bothered with my dyed knit suggestion.

The Aero is cheaper than GW and Eastman. A few steps up from G&B and U.S. Authentic and anyone else I can think of. Maybe Bill Kelso would work if you can nail them down for price and delivery time. Ask around and you should find out that people with an Aero jacket are glad they went that direction. Price of the jacket is only one factor to consider.

Maybe someone else can offer a more enhanced selection of possibilities for you to peruse.

coffee

Last edited:
It's an awesome jacket and one beautiful color combo. The knits in person are also much less red than pics show. Lovely combo.

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I know for a fact that Gibson and Barnes are cut sort of "generously," and I do want a trim, military fit. And I'm the type that would rather get what I want right out of the box than start changing or dying the knits on a brand new jacket.

Coffee makes some very good points...Not too many makers make the Aero or Dubow red knit combo without a hefty price tag. Me? I would go with The Cockpit mil issue A-2 in seal goat (if you call them in NY they will use contrasting thread and might/maybe have the knits you want), swap the knits with the cherry and you will have the look without the price tag. Any good tailor can do the knits cheap enough. Cost me about 20.00 plus the cost of the knits to swap out...just sayin
BTW if you call the cockpit ask for a supervisor...the standard order taker won't be able to help with the upgrades..

If it were me...I'd watch eBay and Aero's sale page for a seal with rust knits in my size. If nothing popped up soon enough...I'd order one with a nice jerky hide from Aero to my exact size..and be done with it. Wear it for years...give it to my son...who will one day give it to his son..and just think of all the money that will save them. by then a new Aero repro will probably be priced at $5000. think about it..! lol

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I havent seen superior flight apparel mentioned. I can't say I've had personal experience nor do I have an idea of the cost, but this new company is one I've had my eyes on. Typically with new company's like this they are priced competitively. The stuff I've seen online both fit and finish looks top notch.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I'd go for this, the slimmest Aero A2: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=90

I just ordered one in exactly the hide and knits you describe.

Sounds like a question of priorities: what could you sell in order to fund your jacket purchase?

SJ

I assume that would be the fit your are after. I've also got an Aero contract 1938 and the fit is perfect. Got a size 40 (with extra length on the sleeves and body length customized). Knit color can always be customized without any problem at Aero's ...

Have a look here:

Kind regards,

Johannes

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi there. Just in case you are interested. I have an Aeroleather 15142, seal jerky etc, but with mid brown knits (easily replaced with rust), that I am considering letting go to fund my next 'project'... I will post pics soon and post it in the Classifieds at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR