Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Panama please

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
Wow! No love on the website. I know it needs work, but those guys and gals charge loads of $$. I think we're substance over style. I've just adjusted the prices down to our Ecuadorian economy. My sister-in-law just had a horrific accident, so I'll probably try to make a big sale in order to pay her medical bills.

You just have the WRONG people doing it. Unfortunately, substance in this internet day and age loses you a lot of sales over style.

My first 2 hats were "other" brands just because that's what I found to be comfortable with on the net.

Clay
PS. Best wishesl with the recovery!

gepreston

New in Town
Panamabob said:
Wow! No love on the website. I know it needs work, but those guys and gals charge loads of $$. I think we're substance over style. I've just adjusted the prices down to our Ecuadorian economy. My sister-in-law just had a horrific accident, so I'll probably try to make a big sale in order to pay her medical bills.

Sorry Bob, hope I didn't hurt your feelings. The consensus seems to be that yea, your web site does need some work but you are the go to guy when it comes to the value/quality ratio. You know, I have a friend that bakes and puts together wedding cakes here in Jax. I know she did her own website and it only costs her around $50 a year. I’ll ask her on Tuesday how she did it and get back to you on that. With the reputation your product has you really should have a “Cadillac” web site!! I’ll be contacting you shortly with an order also. You’ll know its me because I’ll be the A****le that keeps asking all the questions before he gives you his card number ;) ;) :D

gepreston

New in Town
Bob,
I spoke with my friend about her web site. She pays about $50 a month for the site plus $25 a year for the address. She built it herself with the provider’s software (the use of which is free). She doesn’t have a shopping cart feature but says one can be added if desired. Her site is: tenderlovingcakes.com. The host of the site is Network Solutions. Their web site is networksolutions.com. Check this out and see if it will help you.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
gepreston said:
Bob,
I spoke with my friend about her web site. She pays about $50 a month for the site plus $25 a year for the address. She built it herself with the provider’s software (the use of which is free). She doesn’t have a shopping cart feature but says one can be added if desired. Her site is: tenderlovingcakes.com. The host of the site is Network Solutions. Their web site is networksolutions.com. Check this out and see if it will help you.

I don't think PB needs a host. In all fairness, your friends website while pretty, is of no real value when it comes to actually purchasing and getting good data. It really is worse from that standpoint than PB's.

PB, I have a contact I'll see if I can round up that did a good job for one of my customers.

Clay

gepreston

New in Town
frijoli said:
I don't think PB needs a host. In all fairness, your friends website while pretty, is of no real value when it comes to actually purchasing and getting good data. It really is worse from that standpoint than PB's.

PB, I have a contact I'll see if I can round up that did a good job for one of my customers.

Clay
If you read the entire post you would have noticed that the host I mentioned does offer a shopping cart feature that could be activated to sell items directly to customers. My friend didn’t need such a feature due to the nature of her merchandise. Even if the cart feature doubled the monthly cost, it still is less than the quote he already received from a web page designer and he would own the address. All of this being said, it really is Bob’s decision and his business.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
gepreston said:
If you read the entire post you would have noticed that the host I mentioned does offer a shopping cart feature that could be activated to sell items directly to customers. My friend didn’t need such a feature due to the nature of her merchandise. Even if the cart feature doubled the monthly cost, it still is less than the quote he already received from a web page designer and he would own the address. All of this being said, it really is Bob’s decision and his business.

I apologize if I offended you.
I did read the entire post. What I said was I don't believe PB needs a host,
He needs a web designer.
I also stand behind what I said about the website which your friend has. I am one who believe PB has an awful website when it comes to purchasing a hat, and I don't think the website you mentioned would be of any benefit as to the design, shopping cart or not.

Done with this thread!
Clay

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
Panamabob said:
A member here suggested an associate to look at the website and give a quote. Similar quote to other companies I've asked: $3500.00.
PB, regarding the website you might consider getting in touch with JJ (jersey jones) who owns Camptown Hats. He is in a similar, if even lower-volume, situation and recently obtained a commercial-quality website. His new website is Camptownhats, but he is also a member here (for a PM).

fwiw

edteach

New in Town
I am looking for a real panama hat. Not some knock off. But also I do not have 500 to 5k to spend on one either. If that puts me out of the market let me know so I can stop looking. But that said. Is there a good place to go that is not ripping people off with fakes or sky high prices?

edteach

New in Town
thanks, I was looking at panama hats direct. Their hats say made with Toquilla Straw and made in Ecuador. From what I have gatherd the grade is how fine the weave is. A entry level grade from them is about 200 USD. I will check out the other site also.

thanks, I was looking at panama hats direct. Their hats say made with Toquilla Straw and made in Ecuador. From what I have gatherd the grade is how fine the weave is. A entry level grade from them is about 200 USD. I will check out the other site also.

All Panama hats, without exception, are made in Ecuador from Toquilla straw. What kind of budget do you have?

Panama Hats Direct is a good place to look. I can also recommend Northwest Hat Co.:

https://panamahatsdirect.com/

https://www.northwesthats.com/new-page-34
Yes, I have Panamas from both. $150 from Panama Hats Direct and it is a very decent quality albeit with low end trimmings...generic ribbon work and a cloth sweat. $400 from Mike at NorthWest Hats but it is a big step up in quality. Ribbon of my choice and a nice leather sweat.

Both are good value for the money it just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

edteach

New in Town
My biggest thing is, I don't want any Chinese knockoffs. I have see so many things knocked off by the Chinese it makes me sick. My main boxes to check are Made in Ecudor, and a good entry level hat that is well made.

edteach

New in Town
I found on on PHD. It says its blemished and to see photos but I don't see the blemish. Here are the photos they show for this hat.

Attachments

• MC-7435_1_tn1100.jpg
    MC-7435_1_tn1100.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 45
  • MC-7435_3_tn1100.jpg
    MC-7435_3_tn1100.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
My biggest thing is, I don't want any Chinese knockoffs. I have see so many things knocked off by the Chinese it makes me sick. My main boxes to check are Made in Ecudor, and a good entry level hat that is well made.

There is also the used market.

At your price I think PHD is your best option, but there are a lot of other sources that I haven’t tried so I can do is speak from my very limited experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran