Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Fly Fishing Fedora ...

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Greetings ... please help me in the purchase of a stylish, yet practical fly fishing fedora.

Having googled and perused an infinite number of vendor's sites, I am no closer to a decison than I was, say twenty years ago.

Any suggestions will most certainly be appreciated -- thank you

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May I recomend the Banjo Paterson from Akubra. Not a overly Fedora looking hat but a nice city/country hat.
Johnny

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Having done a bit of fly-fishing out in your neck of the woods (or desert, as the case may be :) ), I think it's fair to say that you will want a lid with a wide brim -- at least 2 3/4". If I were you, I'd seriously consider an Open Road-style hat, which you can crease as a fedora. In terms of modern offerings, you might want to consider Akubra's version of the Open Road -- the Campdraft. Akubra also has a variety of other lids that would fit the bill in terms of being stylish, yet tough enough to withstand the elements.

Cheers,
JtL

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Are you wanting to hook your flies into the hat? If so, you might find a wool Dorfman Pacific (or similar wool hat) to be what you need. It would be easier to get the hooks in and out, and you wouldn't feel like the small holes had "messed it up." If you won't be putting flies on the crown of the hat, a nicer fur felt would serve you well.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Was I the only one who immediately thought of Paul Biegler from Anatomy of a Murder?

AnatomyofaMurder.jpg

-Dave

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Thanks to all for the replies ... all of the styles suggested would work just fine, however, it's David's, Jimmy Stewart fedora that really does it for me -- i.e., the hat band, front pinch and the front droop brim. What particular style is that and where might I find it? Taking the elements into account, should I look at 100% fur or a fur-wool blend?

I don't plan on using the hatband as a fly-keeper (ala, Paul Maclean), but rather as a sun-blocking fashion statement. Some of the rods and reels I fish hearken back to the 1920's and I suppose I just want to do them the honor of looking the part.

JTL, the existence of cactus at 9,500-plus feet never ceases to amaze me and I suppose if those pine beetles have their way, which is a given, then those cacti may be the only things left standing ... or sitting, as it were!

JM thanks for the Maclean/Yellowstone River pic ... I've read the book over a dozen times and have watched the movie three times as much ... I've spent many an hour in the U of Chicago library trying to get to know Norman Maclean.

Again, thanks for the help ...

188038196.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
abd7_1.JPG

This is from a fella know as "nedsky" on ebay. Fur felt from Quaker Marine. 4 " crown & 2 1/2" brim.

Here ia an Akubra
Riverina
1040.jpg

From Outback Outlet. 4 1/2" crown & 3" brim.

Maybe one of these? [huh]

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
David Conwill said:

Thanks, Rick ... I'd really like something along the lines of Stewart's fedora. Can anyone draw a bullseye on the name/style/whereabouts of his fedora?

K.D. -- indeed ... fine driving caps/fishing hats in 'A River Runs Through It'. Watched 'Mobsters' (Christian Slater) last evening and drooled over some of those fedoras.

NonEntity

Suspended
Go Akubra

Given the nature of what you want to do in the hat--fly-fish--I would suggest any of the Akubras in a style you find to your liking. They are almost indestructable, so if it falls in the water, not to worry.

All Akubras are high quality, but the Banjo Patterson mentioned above, as well as the Lawson, are from its premium Heritage Collection, and are made of a stronger, denser fur felt that produces a superb pounced finish.

These two pre-creased models are quite similar in style, are fully lined with reeded roan leather headbands, and both have 4-inch at the front, 4 1/2-inch at the sides crown. Available in charcoal or fawn (a medium brown), the Banjo has a 2 3/4-inch raw edge brim and a Barramundi fish skin hat band, while the Lawson comes in moss green or dark fawn, has a 3-inch bound-edge brim with a bit of roll on the sides, and features a hand-braided kangaroo leather hat band.

They are both $136.00 + $7.00 S & H at davidmorgan.com.

K

Kaosharper1

Stylemaster

shoelessjoe said:
Indeed!! The Akubra Stylemaster in acorn fawn it'll be ... does anyone in the States stock this hat?

A big thank you to everyone for your suggestions

David Morgan (www.davidmorgan.com) stocks it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany