Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with leather band

Hefwriter

New in Town
I know this is a recurring topic at the Lounge, but can anyone help me restore the inside leather band of my fedora? I reshaped a Dobbs Daily (pics to come) but the water used in bashing has caused the band to buckle and distort. Is there any way to smooth it back to its original shape, without the buckling?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wow Hef, that's bad news.

Sometimes vintage leather sweatbands (also some new, cheaper ones) don't hold up to moisture - go figure - and need to be replaced. Here's a source (below) if it comes to that but it is a tedious process to sew 'em in.

©Hats By Leko, P.O. Box 170, Odell, OR 97044
1-800-817-HATS (4287) Orders
1-541-354-2600 Questions
Fax (541)-354-2800
9am - 5pm (PT) Mon-Fri
info@hatsupply.com

Otherwise, I read somewhere that you can carefully use a steam iron with a cloth between it and the rippled leather to press the thing back to a more smooth disposition. Some have seemingly had success with this but on one old beater of a hat that I tried it on, I kinda' fried a portion of the sweatband with too much heat.

Another option may be to obtain a hat stretcher and re-dampen the leather, then insert the stretcher with just enough tension to flatten out the leather until it dries in proper shape. It would be easy to accidentally increase the size of the hat this way though.

G'luck!

Magus

Practically Family
Hefwriter said:
I know this is a recurring topic at the Lounge, but can anyone help me restore the inside leather band of my fedora? I reshaped a Dobbs Daily (pics to come) but the water used in bashing has caused the band to buckle and distort. Is there any way to smooth it back to its original shape, without the buckling?

Ahhhh sorry man. Its a hard learned lesson. I too had this happen and ended up just getting a new band as there was no fixing the old one.

But a a couple of positive learning points come to mind. First. Steam, not water to rebash. Second. Ya gotta flip that leather band down "out of the crown" before rebashing starts.

I wish you the best on the rebuild.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy