Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with repair to a straw hat

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Westward Genuine Panama 7 3/4 LO NOS damaged! :rage:

I cherish this straw, and only take it out on a nice day when I know it will not receive a lot of wear and tear, as to quote a fellow Lounger, this hat is "rarer than hens' teeth".

When I put it away last year it was perfect, but when I took it out a couple of months ago when there was some fine weather, I immediately noticed a crack in the straw. It wasn't done by force, it just happened in the box apparently. It maddens me that the hat has been mint in the box for 60 years and now I go and mess it up.

In terms of my collection it is very important, and my bidding at the time relected this. It is a 7 3/4 LO so fits me perfect and in this size and condition is ultra rare.

So what can I do? I put it away after I had it out a couple of months ago and tried to forget about the damage but have used it over the last week due to the fine weather.

Here are the pictures:

This is the hat now, with the damage on the other side of the cinch:

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

From inside:

IMG_1625.jpg

Up close:

IMG_1624.jpg

And here is the original thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29743&highlight=westward

duggap

Banned
I haven't repaired a straw, but I can relate what I have learned here. Not much you can do with the rip, but put some tape on the inside of the hat. This has happened at one of the pressure points, which is one of the weakest points, probably from age and not having been provided with any moisture over the years. You will be surprised at how reasonable it would be to replace the hat, although I don't know if you can get a long oval. Try getting in touch with PanamaBob.:)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
duggap said:
I haven't repaired a straw, but I can relate what I have learned here. Not much you can do with the rip, but put some tape on the inside of the hat. This has happened at one of the pressure points, which is one of the weakest points, probably from age and not having been provided with any moisture over the years. You will be surprised at how reasonable it would be to replace the hat, although I don't know if you can get a long oval. Try getting in touch with PanamaBob.:)

I spoke with someone at the Ultrafino booth at Folk Life Festival last weekend, about a very similar crack in my old straw, and he suggested white glue. I put a little on the underside of the crack, holding the straw together on the outside part - it dried perfectly. My crack was not as clean as yours, so this might not work, but consider trying some Elmers.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
The Elmer's is an interesting idea. Hmmmmm....

Anyway, I have had to use stranded clear medical tape on the inside to repair some cracks like this on a couple old dried out Cuencas. They do get brittle.

As important as closing this gap is preventing the next one. I know it doesn't do anything for 'collectibility' but in situations like this where I want to strengthen a weakened wearer, I apply a generous bead of silicone glue to the inside of the front pinch. If the pinch is Twelve O'clock, I apply the glue from 10:00 to 2:00 and really let it fill up in the groove. After a full 24 hours it dries to make a mostly solid reinforcement in that area. I thought I had invented this notion but before I got around to sharing it with others here on the Lounge another crafty member put up a tutorial about it. Can't remember who that was to credit but it's an idea a couple of us have had.

G'luck!

G

jpbales

Practically Family
Gene's idea is great, and I will definitely do this on my panama's BEFORE they start tearing and cracking (plus, I'll try not to handle them on the pinch in the first place)

I used Elmer's (actually RoseArt) school glue on one of my straws and it worked great, on the inside and the outside. It dries clear and holds the fibers together, preventing any more from fraying apart.

Good luck!

RBH

Bartender
I have used tape and glue... both to good effect.
I would try tape on your tear, then when you get it 'closed' like you want THEN I would fill the inside of the pinch with some type of glue.
Please let use know how it turns out.

KAT

A-List Customer
Well in case we had this thread already, please forgive me.
I have a 40s straw tilt hat and over the years it became fragile and has a few rips, nothing big but i was wondering if theres a way to make it better last or how to fix it?
Any Ideas?

Thanks
KATHY

duggap

Banned
When it comes to dealing with straw, you are kinda out of luck. You can take a tape and apply it to the inside of the hat to hold the tear together. Your problem is not unique. That's what happens when a good ole straw gets stored with no moisture around it. I make sure my panama hats get a little moisture about once a month. This tends to get the straws to stay plyable and not dried out. Check out Panama Bob. He has some really nice panama hats and you can get a really nice one for a hundred to one fifty.:)

Topdog

Familiar Face
Elmer's Miracle Cure

Elmer's white school glue for white straw hats and Elmer's Wood glue for natural colored straw hats. I have repaired a small tear in my stetson cuenca panama straw hat . "A little dab 'll do ya" on the inside of the hat right in the tear. It is virtually an invisible repair.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
When it comes to dealing with straw, you are kinda out of luck. You can take a tape and apply it to the inside of the hat to hold the tear together. Your problem is not unique. That's what happens when a good ole straw gets stored with no moisture around it. I make sure my panama hats get a little moisture about once a month. This tends to get the straws to stay plyable and not dried out. Check out Panama Bob. He has some really nice panama hats and you can get a really nice one for a hundred to one fifty.:)

What do you use to store your hats in a moistured environment? I was told that putting a credo (small humidifier made for humidors) inside the hat box in winter times is the way to go, Is that true?

i_hum_rondo_no.jpg

Aureliano-

duggap

Banned
To moisten my panamas I take them into the bathroom when I take a shower. The condensation gives just enough moisture and you should do it about once a month.:)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
duggap said:
To moisten my panamas I take them into the bathroom when I take a shower. The condensation gives just enough moisture and you should do it about once a month.:)

Same here.............but currently in this rain. It is humid enough to cease shower activity for a while. [huh]

bolthead

Good Tip......

Topdog said:
Elmer's white school glue for white straw hats and Elmer's Wood glue for natural colored straw hats. I have repaired a small tear in my stetson cuenca panama straw hat . "A little dab 'll do ya" on the inside of the hat right in the tear. It is virtually an invisible repair.

Unfortunately I have to try this on my "Parabuntal", I noticed a small crack starting at one of the creases on top. I hope this works. :eusa_doh:

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Using silicone

Hi all

I too need to fix a couple of tears in the pinch of a straw hat. In terms of using silicone to support the weak points of the hat (post repair) I was wondering if this might weaken the straw further from the acid used in silicones?

Cheers

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
munchausen said:
Hi all

I too need to fix a couple of tears in the pinch of a straw hat. In terms of using silicone to support the weak points of the hat (post repair) I was wondering if this might weaken the straw further from the acid used in silicones?

Cheers

Gee, I never considered that one. Anyway, it's been a couple of years since I did the silicone treatment to a couple old brittle straws hats of mine. They are stable so I don't think acid degradation is as much of a problem as, well, having the straw break to bits from having no glue reinforcement inside. It's a decent question but to me it's sort of like wondering if all the nail holes in the wood of a building will weaken the structure. ;)

bolthead

ScottF said:
I spoke with someone at the Ultrafino booth at Folk Life Festival last weekend, about a very similar crack in my old straw, and he suggested white glue. I put a little on the underside of the crack, holding the straw together on the outside part - it dried perfectly. My crack was not as clean as yours, so this might not work, but consider trying some Elmers.
I unfortunatley had to try this on my Parabuntal, but I have to say it worked great. I used the one for wood,(yellow) because of the straw color.

Gene, do you use the clear silicone, in the squeeze tube?

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Thanks Gene

Good to know it doesn't degrade much (or at all). I'll make sure to pop a squirt of silicone in the pinch because I know my fingers will stray there. I'm no woodworker, but a high enough concentration of nails and holes would be like increasing the number of holes in swiss cheese. Fatal - no cheese.

I have to say, from the posts I love your collection. :eusa_clap To avoid any future divorce from Mrs Munch, please keep posting pics so I can live vicariously through you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21