Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with repair to a straw hat

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
A very big thank you to ScottF and others. The glue solution worked perfectly. I was nervous that the glue would drip everywhere but it really went on neatly.

Here is an updated picture.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
photo-14.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I have successfully "repaired" cracks by backing the inside with white Linen Acid-Free Archival Hinging Tape. It has a water soluble adhesive so it can be removed by soaking at a later time if desired without damage. It is quite strong,can be smoothed out and repositioned for a bit of time and has a color and texture similar to the straw.
3934093248_cc54d7eb23.jpg

HatRak

Familiar Face
My beloved Borso panama is starting to show its age. Yesterday, I leaned into the car to get something and banged my hat on the door edge. The straw cracked in two places. One split is about an inch long along the crown at the back of the the hat with the straw fibers crushed at one end; the other split is about two and a half inches long along the side of the crown. Both splits meet up nicely and are almost invisible. I've done some straw hat repair in the past and have an idea about how to proceed, but I thought I'd check with the experts on the forum to see what you all thought would be the best way to approach this.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
HatRak said:
...Both splits meet up nicely and are almost invisible....

This will be easy if the cracks are well approximated. I recently repaired a crack in a Panama with fabric glue. I ended up using Beacon Adhesives brand Fabri-Tac applied to the inside of the hat.

There are so many different fabric glues out there. Just make sure whatever you use is non-acid and remains flexible when dry.

HatRak

Familiar Face
rlk said:
I recommend the acid-free Linen Hinging Tape used for mounting and repairing art work. The gummed back has a water activated adhesive(kind of like stamps). It provides a bit of support looks similar in texture and color and is removable and does no damage or gloppy mess. It is soft and conforms to the shape. Here is one example:
http://www.amazon.com/Gummed-Linen-Hinging-Tape-x10yd/dp/B0025TWZSO

I never would have thought of using that! And my wife has a roll she uses for mounting art work. I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

Falcon Park

New in Town
If that doesn't work, I wold second the motion on Fabri-Tac. It is as good a fabric glue as you can find-- very strong and long-lasting. (Shhhh, it's one of my secret weapons...)

Good luck!

interjake

New in Town
Just tried the silicone glue method earlier today. Worked for me. Many thanks for the advice and help. My search for a solution on how to repair my straw hat led me to the this thread and the the Fedora Lounge site - a new member as well.

Many thanks - Jake

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Going back to the preventative question: can a straw hat be put into a humidor-like setting to bring some moisture back into it, or is it 'unremoisturable' once its dried out?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
Going back to the preventative question: can a straw hat be put into a humidor-like setting to bring some moisture back into it, or is it 'unremoisturable' once its dried out?
Yes, but you won't be able to smoke them for a few days until they restore humidity.

One Too Many
Straw hats repair.

It is easy if you fix with white glue or silicone glue in back side, I have fixed mine with silicone.
Some master hatters re-weave with same straw the damage zone (getting the same straw).
I restore one in the side crown, sew with white thread, using a thin needle, only lacing the damage woven and after put glue in the back.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
so living in Pittsburgh I have not purchased any expensive Panama hats.. we have lots of wind (sometimes very strong) and 3 rivers with lots of water hungry for Panama hats........The wind today is gusting to 20 mph and although I have chased more than my share of Fedoras and an occasional Panama I have been lucky enough to no endure any damage..until today that is........

After fluttering around in the air diving and swirling around it bounced along the sidewalk and then skidded on the crown for about 20 - 30 yards before I caught up to it....

So I now have about 4 small holes where the concrete worn through a weave...

Not bad considering....

I am thinking of perhaps trying to glue about a one inch piece of cotton cloth the same the color as the grass under and inside the hat as my first attempt and see how that looks ... or perhaps use some flannel and then pick at the flannel threads to fill the slight indentations once the patch is solid with the tiniest bit of glue dabbed with a pin head into the slight opening of the patch.

But I am wondering what would be the best glue to try this,,,,, gorilla, super or Elmers.......or something else ???

However it turns out it will either be a yard hat or at best back into the rotation to be only used on windy days..........

Any ideas on the glue ?????? or has anyone already tried this ????

Don't use Gorilla, it's an expanding polystyrene and will fill more than you want. I've used wood glue to make minor repairs on straw. It comes in a couple different shades and you may be able to match it close to your straw. Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24