Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with World War 2 Nurse cape and garrison cap

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with World War 2 Army nurse uniforms? Today in an antique store I purchased a navy blue 100% wool nurse cape and matching navy blue garrison cap with red piping. The cape and garrison cap are both marked "C.E. Ward Co. New London, Ohio" the cape is a two latch closure consisting of two separate pieces of wool that fasten on both sides of the midline by a single button. On the collar of the cape are the initials that appear to be "St. J.K." or "St. J.G." The lettering is very fancy and the letters are bullion. There are also matching initials on the garrison cap. I have heard that if there are initials on the collar of the cape that it is a civilian cape rather than a military cape, however, I would think the garrison cap would signify that it was a military issue, as a nurse in a civilian hospital would not wear a military-style garrison cap as part of her uniform. The inner lining of the cape is a beautiful red, which matches the red in the piping on the garrison cap. If anyone could advise it would be most appreciated! From the bit of research I have done, I derived that in the early war years, nurse uniforms in the Army were navy blue, however around 1943-1944, the United States switched to the olive-drab color uniform. Thanks in advance for your knowledge! Unfortunately, I have not yet gained the ability to post pictures on this forum or else I would gladly post pictures.

-Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97