Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here we go again; and can you help identify this jacket?

lkalliance

New in Town
I was here a couple of summers ago, looking at buying my first bomber jacket, doing some research. After a lot of help here, I ordered and returned several, and determined that my body shape just wasn't a good fit for an off-the-rack A-2. I was overweight, and unfortunately I carry that weight right down in my belly: my shoulders and chest are for a much slimmer man than my belly is, lol. So it was choose between a jacket that fit well up top but tight below, or the opposite, or neither. I chose neither.

Fast forward to now. I'm over 50 pounds lighter, thanks to some lifestyle changes. And for some reason, the idea to try again with an A-2 hit me. Ugh.

So last night I visited a Craigslist seller that had several jackets, including a Cooper A-2 in what might be my size. I didn't have a good idea what "my size" is now, but what the heck. Being in unfamiliar, uncomfortable territory, I panicked a little bit and didn't give the jackets a thorough once-over (I should have photographed the tags for reference)...but he had a few that fit OK, and one that fit perfectly: that Cooper A-2. The tags clearly showed it was Cooper, and clearly showed Made in the USA...but I didn't see a tag that confirmed it was goatskin.

It's also the classic style, not modern, so no handwarmer pockets...I reflexively went to put my hands in the pockets and of course they weren't there, lol. But it fit like a glove.

There was another jacket that was pretty odd. At least, odd to me. He didn't know what it was, either. I thought perhaps I'd post a couple of photos here and see if anyone knew what it was.

IMG_5203.jpg
IMG_5204.jpg

Again, I should have taken more and closer photos to help with this identification, but I didn't. It was a pretty heavy coat. It had a removable flannel lining, and a removable fur collar (removed in this photo). The tag had some artwork (military imagery, if I recall correctly) and a "Fly Jacket" label. Not "Flight Jacket"--"Fly Jacket."

It was pretty well-used. The lining had opened at the seam of one arm hole, and the fur collar had some spots where the fur was no longer.

Would be curious if anyone knows what it is?

EDIT: I take it back, clearly it wasn't flannel lining. But it was very warm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn