Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's a Suit For You...20s or 30s?

Grace

Vendor
I've had this suit for quite a while now. Jacket is fully lined in black silk (not shattered, if you can believe it!) Very light padding at shoulders. Straight cut pants with a satin pinstripe down each side. Button fly, watch pocket. Deep cut vest with a cool pattern. Not a label to be found anywhere. I have the suspenders that were worn with it, too, but they're pretty shot.

Can anyone help me narrow down a date? (pardon the pics-they leave something to be desired)

Thanks, guys!

10-28004.jpg

10-28005.jpg

10-28006.jpg

frontmanvintage

New in Town
First of all, its a tuxedo. Second, no one can see the contrast of the black to make out details to help you.

Is there a Union label in the inside breast pocket?

However, a button fly usually means WWII or before. Only two companies used zippers in mens pants starting in 1938; button flys were used thru WWII - even Uncle Sam used button flys on the military pants.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
On early zippers...

frontmanvintage said:
However, a button fly usually means WWII or before. Only two companies used zippers in mens pants starting in 1938; button flys were used thru WWII - even Uncle Sam used button flys on the military pants.

I know for a fact, that you could get a zipper fly on a pair of department store pants in 1934- so maybe a little before that too.

B
T

Grace

Vendor
Thanks, guys!

Yes, I do know that it is tux. Too bad it's on the small side, otherwise my husband would keep it! It also has buttons inside the waistband for suspenders-is there a specific name for that?
It's really beautifully made. Need to test the buttons for bakelite.
From the same estate I have a 1939 3 pc suit that is absolutely killer. Freshly cleaned, and boy is it a knockout!

Sara

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats