Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's an idea: A-2 Briefcase

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I know I've seen this concept before. I think it may have been Avirex in the 80's. I'll go through my old catalogs.
I liked the idea then, but the price was the same as a jacket and didn't have income for both.
I'm guessing it was discontinued as being a novelty and too limited for a market.

M

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Neat, but I'm going for simplicity over design. My bag is not "inspired" by A-2s, but directly patterned on them. It could even be made from one.

For one thing, there won't be buckles. They're a pain when you're wearing the bag and want to open it. And there aren't any buckles on an A-2.

And I can't see it being a backpack. It would need to be more square. Maybe a messenger, without the handle straps.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Neat, but I'm going for simplicity over design. My bag is not "inspired" by A-2s, but directly patterned on them. It could even be made from one.

For one thing, there won't be buckles. They're a pain when you're wearing the bag and want to open it. And there aren't any buckles on an A-2.

And I can't see it being a backpack. It would need to be more square. Maybe a messenger, without the handle straps.

I absolutely love your idea and concept drawings. I can't wait to see the finished product.;) When I was in flight school I came across a locker in the squadron that had about five or six G-1s that had the wind flaps cut off them and the cuffs and waistband removed. They were just sitting in a box at the bottom of a locker collecting dust with a bunch of old mops and rags. Looking back on it, I should have snagged them, because I am pretty sure they ended up in a dumpster somewhere. I could have done so many things with that leather.

Edward

Bartender

Much more secure than clips, though, and more reliable. Less likely to go wrong than a zip. That said, you're right, thematically a zip makes more sense.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I know this is an old thread, but anyone do any more sketches on an "A2 briefcase"? Seeing as I live in a country where I can get stuff custom-made fairly cheaply, I may be able to get a bag maker to make a design if I can give him decent pictures to work off of.
I'll bet I could get one made for $100 or less if I have some decent drawings.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mock-up

Just for the camera, I've laid out pieces of an old Flight Apparel A-2 as they might look put together into a soft briefbag about 12"h x 18"w.
8374621461_df628135fb_c.jpg

The top flap would be shaped and topstitched like a pocket flap, and would secure with a large, hidden snap. Underneath this would be the zipper closing the main compartment.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Just for the camera, I've laid out pieces of an old Flight Apparel A-2 as they might look put together into a soft briefbag about 12"h x 18"w.

The top flap would be shaped and topstitched like a pocket flap, and would secure with a large, hidden snap. Underneath this would be the zipper closing the main compartment.

That's a nice idea, would the zipper run all the way around the two halves or would it just open from the top?

Edward

Bartender

I like this, though I'd put the Type A2 label inside rather than on the pocket flap (as would have been the case were it a jacket).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, good idea. Using it as a decoration is a little too fakey-fashiony.
Here it is without the label and with the top flap and a bottom layer Photoshopped in.
8381969644_6c9511dd77_z.jpg

The zip closing would be ±22", recycling the jacket zipper. It would open the top and about 2" on each side.

The question arises: how to mount a top handle. The Filson bag I'm modeling this on has handles stitched to each side, so you can use them whether the top flap is open or closed. This would screw up the A-2ish look, so I'm thinking a single, short handle, stitched epaulet box style to the top flap. The flap would have to be snapped in 3 places - both corners and the middle point - for the handle to lift the bag and not just dangle it.

There would also be a shoulder strap hooking to both ends of the bag, usable at all times. Maybe it could be made so it shortens into a handle-like length. This would make it essentially a messenger bag and not need a handle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo