Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's an idea: A-2 Briefcase

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Anybody ever consider having a damaged or cheap knockoff A-2 jacket recycled into a briefcase? Anyone ever done it?

I have some ideas I've put into a sketch:
- 2pc front panel with pockets left in place
- 1pc back panel and outer pouch that snaps closed with a flattened-out, snapdown collar
- epaulet-type stitching on strap ends and handles, with a brown web strap

The zipper and storm flap could be repurposed nearly intact, and the cotton lining could be reused as well. The underarm grommets could be kept in place to accent the A-2 look.

You could even do a rigid insert like the AAF supplied for navigators' cases, with scrap leather holders for pens, electronics and such.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Sounds good Fletch, but just how authentic and close to specs would this be? In other words, would Andrew and John give it their stamp of approval? Not to be snobbish, but if it doesn't look and feel like the original, there are many on here, myself included, who would disdainful of the finished product. But that is just my opinion.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You'd be looking at a high-end, full-custom product, then, rather than a repurposing or "upcycling" of a doggy or unwearable A-2.

The high-end product would depend on whether jacket makers have remnant materials around, and how many hours it would take to build. But you could conceivably do a dead-on Dubow, Rough Wear, etc., right down to the hide colors, hardware, and label inside the lining. The difference is, it would be made for your possessions rather than your body.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I painted the AVG "Hell's Angel" on the front left side of my old HH A-2 jacket. (Avirex).
I used acrylics & aged it to match the vintage look. Came out very good ! Not sure if I
would do it on a Goodwear or other better made jacket !
Do you have a sketch of the briefcase ?
What equipment do you have to sew it together ?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My equipment consists entirely of a #3 hard pencil and some plain white printer paper. I'll see if I can't scan what I have so far.

The plain back panel could be a site for nose art or insignia, but having it visible would mean wearing the front pockets against your body.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I am seeing in my head the two patch pockets on front left and right sides, with an area in the middle for the Hap Arnold star or maybe a Sq patch, small nose art? Name tag above the left patch pocket. Zipper on top and down both sides to allow the case to open(one continuous zipper), carry handles attached on both halves, top center, in the shape and boxed stitched the same as epaulettes... I am digging the idea...
John

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
7054587713_4ab70e43c6_z.jpg

6908496256_78cfef14d6_z.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On the inside where the lining would be located , I would try a plastic sheet , probably go as thin or thick as stiff as you would want it.
On my vintage bicycle I made a canvas newspaper saddle bag. They were soft , so I put them in heavy starch to stiffen them up.
I painted "The San Antonio Light"…..that was the name of my newspaper in the 1950's.
I like the idea of an A-2 leather brief case. I can see applying some old military patches on it ! Any suggestions on who would stitch it
together ?

gruvi

Familiar Face
PM me your info and if you want I will ask my friend to see if he will make this for you. If the idea is practical I know he can make it. He used to make suitcases and bags for years and was considered top in the field.
Anybody ever consider having a damaged or cheap knockoff A-2 jacket recycled into a briefcase? Anyone ever done it?

I have some ideas I've put into a sketch:
- 2pc front panel with pockets left in place
- 1pc back panel and outer pouch that snaps closed with a flattened-out, snapdown collar
- epaulet-type stitching on strap ends and handles, with a brown web strap

The zipper and storm flap could be repurposed nearly intact, and the cotton lining could be reused as well. The underarm grommets could be kept in place to accent the A-2 look.

You could even do a rigid insert like the AAF supplied for navigators' cases, with scrap leather holders for pens, electronics and such.

gruvi

Familiar Face
P.s. my friend works on all my vintage jackets, G1s and he is working on my old HH HB now. He said he was done with doing attaches, but he may consider if I ask him.

Pretty cool idea. If you used a backplate, you could take a jacket that no longer fits, etc and make a nice bag. I like it, and might go for it if someone can do it reasonably priced.

Corky

Practically Family
Good luck with security at an airport with BOMB LINK painted on your briefcase.

It would be far easier, more economical, and more efficient to simply make the briefcase out of the appropriate weight of top grain cowhide and just add the repro details for cosmetic effect.

Last edited:
I agree with the graphic piece. When we went to Europe last year, my son had a belt buckle with a gun in it (The Clash) they said check it, trash it, or miss your flight. Same week a woman with said design on a purse got booted fromHer flight. TSA are morons. As are those writing such rules. So , skip that piece.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Sounds like a great idea and I like the sketches. The Cockpit did something similar to this in the 1980s with a bag made out of jacket leather that resembled a back-pack. It had several aviation patches on it. It looked sharp, but I don’t know how well sales were. I have tried to find one but with no success.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Great responses so far fellows! :D

I originally modeled this on a Filson briefcase I gave my dad a few Xmases ago, made of canvas with cowhide furnishings. I'll have to check it and see if there are any rigid parts or if it's totally softsided.

I'm wondering now if the great big pouch on the back panel (which you don't see, because the collar snaps down to close it) would provide the necessary stand-up qualities. It would be 2 layers of hide nearly the same size. The same pouch could be put behind the front pocketed panel (with another collar type closure), and the bag bottom could be double-layered too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails