Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Here's looking at you, kid" and what might get you slapped

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
During the golden era ladies were sometimes called "kid" as a term of endearment. Today it might be a term of oppression. Imagine Ingred Bergman replying to "Here's looking at you kid" with "How derogatory! You don't respect me, do you?"

I'm just thinking about how some things once would be complimentary but are now considered outdated AND offensive.

Do you still give and appreciate such compliments? Do you have any examples?

Foofoogal

Banned
I was raised where everyone around me, ladies and gentlemen called everyone Sugar, Darlin, Honey. It was a term of endearment. I miss this so much.
I am so anti PC it hurts.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The reverse can be true as well. Descriptors that were once offensive can sometimes become terms of endearment or approval (or empowerment).

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
zetwal said:
The reverse can be true as well. Descriptors that were once offensive can sometimes become terms of endearment or approval (or empowerment).

Yeah. My kid says "fat" is a good thing now. [huh] There are more derogatory terms that I won't post here that are used now as positive nicknames. I've already told him I won't hear that crap coming out of his mouth.

Feraud

Bartender
LocktownDog said:
Yeah. My kid says "fat" is a good thing now. [huh] There are more derogatory terms that I won't post here that are used now as positive nicknames. I've already told him I won't hear that crap coming out of his mouth.
That would be fat spelled phat. ;)

I don't think men really called ladies "kid" back in the day.
That was a silver screen term.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd rather be called "kid" than "baby" or "babe" any day of the week. Some guy at the theatre called me "babe" the other night and I gave him a glare that melted all the ice in his drink.

On the other hand, I feel slighted if the old guy at the grocery store or the waitress at the lunchroom doesn't call me "dee-ah."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Phat" (which means 'cool', 'awesome', 'great' or 'amazing'), is one of the stupidest slang-words to come out of the 1990s and 2000s, I reckon. It could so easily be considered offensive that the utterer would probably deserve being slapped if he said that.

The loss of such colourful, endearing or otherwise descriptive language is, I see it, put down to double standards and political correctness, both of which are my sworn enemies.

I will toss the N-word in there, for you to debate over. Perfectly 'harmless' for one black person to say it to another, and yet toss in a white (or other non-black person) and suddenly we have lawsuits everywhere. That is the world's biggest double standard in terms of language, that I can think of in today's world.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Kid = Woman?

I've never heard that "Kid" was an affectionate term for a woman...I always assumed it was Rick's (Bogie's) acknowledgement of the obvious age difference between he and Ilsa....

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've heard 'kid' and 'baby' mentioned as pet-names for girls in radio shows and movies from the 30s to the 50s. 'Babe' generally seems to be a more modern name.

I wonder when 'dame' started dying out as a synonym for 'lady'?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I disagree about the N word. I hear young kids on the street use it all the time, and I think it just reinforces their feeling of alienation and separateness.
I think it's totally bad.
Let's choose another word to talk about, OK?

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Dame = Lady

In this case, Dame does in fact equal lady.

In England, men are knighted and become "Sir". Women become "Dame" as in Dame Judy Dench. It also gives them the unofficial title of "Lady".

Why the term Dame became rude, I dunno...

pretty faythe

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:
That one has come and gone for ages now. I recall it back in the late 80s early 90s. I've bever really been one to use "hip" slang myself.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This is -all- about context...

A friend calling me kid or babe or whatever...is a term of endearment.

A co-worker or boss calling me those names...is well out of line and then it is derogatory....just like a boss calling a jr. male member 'boy' would be....

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
This is -all- about context...

A friend calling me kid or babe or whatever...is a term of endearment.

A co-worker or boss calling me those names...is well out of line and then it is derogatory....just like a boss calling a jr. male member 'boy' would be....

I think it would depend on the person. One of my bosses calls me "babe" and at first I was very put out by it, until I realized he calls EVERYONE that. Me, his adult son, his male business partner, etc. I just think it's his way.

That and we're in Texas, where it is not uncommon to hear people called darlin', sugar, hon, babe, or sweetie. It's a habit of mine, myself. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
LocktownDog said:

But fat has lots of meanings, and if it was used to be mean "good" in an old movie, we'd all think it was great.

Just because it's new slang (well, new-ish) doesn't mean it's evil.

Fat can mean, among other things, thick in a non-negative sense <a fat book>; full in tone and quality <a gorgeous fat bass voice>; well stocked <a fat larder>; prosperous, wealthy <grew fat on the profits>; substantial and impressive <a fat bank account>; richly rewarding or profitable <a fat part in a movie; a fat contract>; practically nonexistent <a fat chance>; productive, fertile <a fat year for crops>; or, when speaking of a baseball pitch, easy to hit. (The above definitions were borrowed from Merriam-Webster.)

So if, with a different spelling, it is also used to mean entertaining, intelligent, attractive or admirable, what's the big deal? Words take on new and/or different meanings all the time.

Fond, for example, meant silly in the Elizabethan era. Now it doesn't, and no one cares. We all adapt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass