Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Here's looking at you, kid" and what might get you slapped

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Except that even in the Golden Era, screw also meant, well ... you know.

Golden Era Screws:

gategroupleft.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
I admit to being shocked by this. When I was a child I always addressed my friends' parents as Mr and/or Mrs *Lastname*, without even being told by my parents. I just generally thought it was the right thing to do...generally since I didn't always know their first names.

I am 30 years old and I still call my friends' parents Mr. and Mrs.

Foofoogal

Banned
older than me. though I do catch myself saying it to younger. Yes maam, no maam, yes sir and no sir was standard in our home as a child. It is ingrained in me. With 11 children my dad ran a tight ship.
I did rebel from about 15 to 20 but came to my senses and really respect him for all he taught me. I can truly say he is the only person who told me the truth about life.
He was depression era and was lost in the jungles of New Guinea in the war for 6 mo. He was a serious and genius of a man.

Chas

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I'd rather be called "kid" than "baby" or "babe" any day of the week. Some guy at the theatre called me "babe" the other night and I gave him a glare that melted all the ice in his drink.

On the other hand, I feel slighted if the old guy at the grocery store or the waitress at the lunchroom doesn't call me "dee-ah."

How about Doll?

Does your significant other call you babe?

I personally use precious, doll, love (the way the English say it) luv. For guys: pal.

Edward

Bartender
I can't help but be reminded here of a quote I saw somewhere in relation to a girly film..... "That was the Summer of 1963, when everyone called me Baby and it didn't occur to me to mind." No idea what the film was, prsumably not one I've seen...

magnolia76 said:
I wish that "honey" was thrown around from men to women a little more. Back in the day it was nothing for a male friend to call you that (I always loved when Finn said it to Ally "Aw go out with him honey!" in he Notebook), just doesn't happen anymore.

I think it's a case of, for better or worse, a lot of guys being wary of saying something that could be misinterpreted as sexist and demeaning. Don't think those are terms I'd use (well, apart from maybe when talking to my cats, but that's wholly different!). I do have a habit of calling some women I know well 'Darlin'', which is maybe an Irish thing, I don't know.

You'll not get me to rail against "political corretness" though.... personally, I think it's a great thing we now live in a society where people think twice about what they say lest it be demeaning or prejudiced. [huh]

Also when I'm out I would much prefer a smile and a light "Hi how are ya" than a disgusting undress me with your eyes "How you doin". The response you would get from me would be completely black and white between the two!

I blame Friends, the situation comedy, for a lot of that. It beggars belief, in my eyes at least, the way that the Joey character was celebrated by so many, espeially women. He was the worst kind of sleaze imaginable, and I can't hear that phrase without thinking of such a vile personality type.

Shangas said:
I admit to being shocked by this. When I was a child I always addressed my friends' parents as Mr and/or Mrs *Lastname*, without even being told by my parents. I just generally thought it was the right thing to do...generally since I didn't always know their first names.

I could not imagine chlidren today speaking to unfamiliar adults by their first name, without first being given permission. In my mind that sounds pretty darn rude.

Absolutely. I would never presume, especially with folks older than myself, to call anyone by their forename unless or until invited to do so. I hate it when you get that on the phone (fortunately, the pendulum has swung back the other way and most companies now address me as Mr X etc). Always hated my given name anyhow, so that doesn't really help, heh.

Viola said:
And I cannot abide Princess from men who don't know me.

Princess always seemed to me to be such a negative term, not one I'd ever use.

Mike K. said:
Context at the time certainly means a lot, but I agree that there is also a chronological context. Take the word GAY. Listen to any number of 1940s songs, take some movie lines or other quotes - the word is universally used to mean happy or cheerful. By the late 20th century the word gay had evolved to define a certain lifestyle. How many people in contemporary times now use the word in its 1940s definition?

There is such a thing as cultural evolution, which includes etymology. I find it equally interesting how many words/phrases have changed over time and how many have remained the same too.

This is very true. I also have been amused by the evolution of the Flintstones theme in response. Originally, the song invited we, the audience, to meet the 'modern Stone Age family', and therefter to have 'a gay old time' in their company. Sometime later, when new series were made, they changed the lyric to 'great old time'.... only when the B-52s, under the guise of the BC-52s, rerecorded the theme for the live action movie in the 90s did they revert to the original lyrics, of course mined for the tongue in cheek humour of the double entendre.

Talbot said:
I work in an office with some very staid and proper women, and some women with very bawdy senses of humor.

Men would never get away with some of the things that are said. It can be a minefield at times......

Had a similar experience last weekend while out with some female friends. Nothing that I was in any was offended by, personally, but it did amuse me that had I ome out with something similar, as a guy, it would have been a wholly different thing.

jdbenson said:
I've never heard that "Kid" was an affectionate term for a woman...I always assumed it was Rick's (Bogie's) acknowledgement of the obvious age difference between he and Ilsa....

It never occured to me that that might be an issue there, given that it's pretty much the norm in Hollywood for the male lead to be considerably older than his female counterpart, a cultural onceit I had always put down to the men in charge flattering theselves with, and women thinking "oh well, at least if he's that much older than me he might be a bit closer my own maturity level...." lol

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
How about Doll?

Does your significant other call you babe?

I personally use precious, doll, love (the way the English say it) luv. For guys: pal.

Oh I'd love to be called Doll. It's just so sweet and 'smily'.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I personally enjoy being called "Baby," "Honey," "Darlin'," and "Dear," but I think that has to do with my raising. I've spent my whole life in northwestern Texas, and it's quite common fellas to use pet names, especially out where I live. These are the same men who use "Ma'am" no matter what female they are speaking to, as a sign of respect.

I took a public bus for the first time on my way to jury duty a couple of Fridays ago, and all of the seats were full. I was more than happy to stand, but an older gentleman stood said "Here, have my seat, Baby," and took my place holding on to the bar. I've always been told that when a man wants to be a gentleman, you should let him and I think the "Baby" made it even nicer-- it made it seem like an even friendlier gesture.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thinking about it, I really don't remember ever hearing pet names in my family -- maybe it's the traditional New England reserve, but my grandparents never called each other anything but their actual names. Unless you consider the occasional "you old goat!" a pet name. My parents, meanwhile, called each other plenty of names, but they weren't very sweet.

Any use of the word "Kid" around my grandmother brought this rhyme in response:

"I'm a kid and you're a goat.
You stink and I don't."

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Thinking about it, I really don't remember ever hearing pet names in my family -- maybe it's the traditional New England reserve, but my grandparents never called each other anything but their actual names. Unless you consider the occasional "you old goat!" a pet name. My parents, meanwhile, called each other plenty of names, but they weren't very sweet.

Any use of the word "Kid" around my grandmother brought this rhyme in response:

"I'm a kid and you're a goat.
You stink and I don't."

:D lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I suppose I'm being too literal, but anytime I hear the staff at the CPA firm where I work referred to as "kids," I think, "We have 12-year-olds preparing tax returns?"

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I call everyone (around my age, and especially ladies) kid...I haven't been slapped...yet. But thankfully I can sure run fast! For me its a term of endearment also, I mean no disrespect when I say it...and the people that know me, know its one of my common phrases. I haven't used toots in a loooong time....I think its time to brush the dust offa that one!

Edit: I've forgotten so many of these phrases, this is awesome! I love the Screws connotation!

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Context is everything as is the relationship to the person to whom you are making the comment. That being said, the best definition of a Gentleman (Gentlewoman/Gentleperson) is someone who does not unintentionally hurt or offend another.

In general, I think many people in our society are much to informal with respect to how they address others. The lack of civility can be appalling.

Perhaps it is our faceless internet forums that cause people to think they can say what they will with impunity. Perhaps it is that some do not understand the concept of "free speech" thinking they can say whatever they wish without accepting responsiblity.

I know that I will always respect and appreciate a well spoken and well mannered person.

GranadaGuy617's quote is right on the mark. Civility is a choice.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
"Phat" (which means 'cool', 'awesome', 'great' or 'amazing'), is one of the stupidest slang-words to come out of the 1990s and 2000s, I reckon. It could so easily be considered offensive that the utterer would probably deserve being slapped if he said that.

Lets not forget the opposite "ghey" meaning stupid, dumb, ect.

I am an 80's guys (born in 1979) but I weep for the 90's 2000's kids.

December

One of the Regulars
I absolutely hate being called "babe". I don't mind baby, providing it's in context ie: my fiance, or a close friend. The same with darling, sweetheart and love. In context, they're all very sweet.

When some random lecherous man calls out "Awright darlin'!", it's just horrible!

The manageress of the shop where I work calls literally everyone "my little princess", men included. It's quite funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner