Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Here's looking at you, kid" and what might get you slapped

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
What about "dollface"?

"Toots"?

"Kiddo"?

I second that! Why don't more guys use these terms more often? Being from the south I'm still called "darlin" and "sweety" often and its not offensive at all. In fact if any of the above is said by a handsome gentleman i'm melting. lol

One I really can't stand to hear is when i guy calls a woman a "broad". I'm not sure if its ment as a good or bad thing but it just sounds ick!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm get rather defensive of my age, because I prefer older groups, and generally, I act older than my age, so when I see someone looking down or generalizing me with kids my age...I mention something older so they don't group me in. That being said "Kid" generally isn't a good thing to call me.

I love doll, dame, heck, broad even. I call everyone hun and sweetie. However, theres two ways of doing it. "oops, sorry hun, I didn't mean to spill that on you" and "umm, hun? Buddy Holly was a phenomenal artist!!!" The second one is NOT in a good way.

One of my guy friends, while in an internet conversation was called Hun in a not good way, he thought I meant it as a term of endearment, and proceeded to use it for me as long as we we're interested in each other lol :eek: Same guy would call me "baby girl" and as he was 4 years older, I wasn't overly fond of it. He "decided that was my nickname" and I'd much have preferred Doll, Doll face, Sweetie, Darling, Dear, or just Baby.

I always call adults as Mrs. or Mr. and was shocked when adults started telling me not to. Still can't do it for half of them. They have to specify that though.

You can call me a lot of things, just not late for dinner :p

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
It is, when coming from gals who despise dorks.

Girls who despise dorks aren't' worth your time. Personally, if a guy can't read/watch/actively discuss Lotr, Harry Potter,Starwars, and preferably have some knowledge of Redwall...well...it's either no-go or a teaching session.

Forget those girls.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:
Girls who despise dorks aren't' worth your time. Personally, if a guy can't read/watch/actively discuss Lotr, Harry Potter,Starwars, and preferably have some knowledge of Redwall...well...it's either no-go or a teaching session.

Forget those girls.

Yeah, what she said.

Edward

Bartender
Caity Lynn said:

Forget those girls.

Star Wars? Meh. That franchise died the day Greedo shot first.... :rage:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:

Forget those girls.

I should add I have no knowledge of any of these things but agree with the first part of the first sentence. :)

I get a lot of "You ba***rd!"... but that's also because it's a professional accreditation within some sectors of Systems Admin. Or there's always "geeky Poindexter"...

From a gal, I'm okay with it as long as I'm her ba***rd (as in, she can call me whatever she likes as long as she calls me "hers" too)... lol And usually, when I refer to somebody as "kid" it's more of a "Weary Old Fart" thing.

OTOH, YMMV...

----------------
Now playing: Eric Serra - The Severnaya Suite
via FoxyTunes

Talbot

One Too Many
TheDutchess said:
I second that! Why don't more guys use these terms more often? Being from the south I'm still called "darlin" and "sweety" often and its not offensive at all. In fact if any of the above is said by a handsome gentleman i'm melting. lol

One I really can't stand to hear is when i guy calls a woman a "broad". I'm not sure if its ment as a good or bad thing but it just sounds ick!

A couple of years ago at a party, a friend of mine, as was his habit at the time, called a woman 'toots'. She was very butch and no withering stares for her. She shirt fronted him and was going to beat the hell out him!

Talbot

Spearmint

New in Town
I always have used hun, dear, sweets, darlin, and a few others when talking with people no matter their age or gender. It has gotten me looks and I have had people say "Don't call me dear". To which I say, I call everyone some variation of 'honey-sweetie-baby-darlin-dear' so get used to it. Now harldly anyone reacts when one of the terms is used.

Some of the people in my life are addressed as Sir and Ma'am, oddly enough one of the teachers yelled at me for calling him Sir. I was talking with a friend while he was setting up the movie, he asked us to stop I said 'Sorry Sir' to which he freaked out gave me a lecture on why Sir was offencive and the term I should be using is Mr._______, it was rebutted with 'Sorry Sir, I was taught to use Ma'am and Sir, would you rather I call you the penguin midget like the others do Sir?'

Well if we were not on school property I'm sure he wouldv'e slapped me.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I got back from an audition last night, and we used the Crucible as our audition pieces. I read as Abigale and John, calls her "child" to which her response it "how do you call me child?" after they'd had an affair. It reminded me of why I dislike being called kid. Double standards, and it's similar to how I react to being called kid. lol

Elaina

One Too Many
See I'm one that doesn't care. I spend all day getting called "Sweetie Pie" by one boss, "Peaches" by another and I go by "Ducki" most of the time, instead of Elaina due to my last name. In part because of several customers that think it's cute after a friend of mine started it (the spelling came about because an old woman thought it fit more in with my image then -y and -ie. I never have figured this out.) My name tag even says this. The gal I work with most calls me "Puddin'" and the "kid" that works there is 16, and we all call him kid. (He calls me "uh, uhm, er"). I have one old man that calls me "doll" and one man my age that calls me "Babe." I don't think I get called by my name, or my nickname Elle, at all. Where I live in the rural south, I think it's more common then even in Dallas. Being offended by it here is just nitpicking to find something to be angry over.

The kid if he has to get my attention will call me "Ms. Ducki" and I've found I do it to the old people I know, title with their first name. I figure I'm old enough I don't have to call them Mrs. Lastname anymore.

One thing I detest tho, is being called "Casey's Momma" and "Sammi's sissy". I detest being called Sissy in the first place, and I feel that kids should learn names and not be lazy. I'd prefer being called by Mrs. my ex's name or Ms. Sister's last name, then that.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I hate being called kid, but I would love being called doll or dame.

I think 'doll' is the nicest... saying that could be uttered to me. As a kid I collected glass dolls, and they were always very pretty. So I connect doll to being beautiful, I suppose? Plus, I just like the way it sounds.

And dame is just a nice word too. I don't like being called babe... I feel they're looking more at my body and less at my face. [huh]

Esme

One of the Regulars
Early in the thread someone said they didn't think men used to call women Kid and that they assumed that was just Bogie calling Bacall that in the movie.

My grandma was a jazz baby, rolled stocking, bobbed her hair, rouged her knees, born in 1904, she was "ripe" as she told me, in the 20s. She called people, especially other women her own age, kid and kiddo all the time. I call my female friends that now. Of course we are all in our 40s, 50s & 60s, so....

Reminds of Kill Bill, when Bill kept calling Beatrice Kiddo and it turned out to be her last name!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21