Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's one you don't see very often.

jeff

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
This is a Cavanagh 100 that belonged to a U.S. Senator in the 50s named Glenn Beall. It still has the price tag of $100. under the sweatband. While it does have a few moth nibbles, the felt is the finest pounced I've ever seen.

Senator Beal sure had great taste! And took care of his hats - it looks brand new!

Congrats and wear in good health.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Light colors

Nice hat you have my friend. I like the lighter colors. I really wish I could find a 100's in the dark colors. I only see them in light colors.My 7X is 100% pure beaver and its a dark brown. My Stetson 100 is a silverbelly

I wonder why they seem to have made the 100 hats in lighter shades?? Any idea??

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I don't know either Sharpy, it could be the lighter color is more of a dressier look and something that spendy is something you would wear on more formal occassions. This hat came from his estate sale. On the leather sweatband embossed in gold letters it states "To the Honorable Glenn Beall from a Texan". Who knows that could have been LBJ.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got this hat on ebay over 4 years ago, I'm guessing it doesn't have the cav edge because it is in the Open Road style. I have a Dobbs 55 which I will post pics of later, that is also very very nice but still doesn't match this one.

fedoralover

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
It really is lovely. So this is a fifties hat probably? It goes against the trend, though, towards smaller brims and crowns. Is it possibly a carry over from the forties? No matter. It's quite nice regardless of age.

Did Cavanagh ever make a raw edge? I guess the Cavanagh edge is raw technically, but we won't consider it.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Open Road style originally made by Stetson continues to this day. This hat is from the 50s and cost $100 new hence the name Cavanagh 100. Similarly a Stetson 25 would have cost $25.00 new. Judging from original hat ads I have that go back to the 30s, there were narrow brim hats then too. It's hard to date a hat exclusively by the brim size, other factors have to be considered as well such as type of sweatband, liner, felt quality and workmanship.

regards fedoralover

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
The Open Road style originally made by Stetson continues to this day. This hat is from the 50s and cost $100 new hence the name Cavanagh 100. Similarly a Stetson 25 would have cost $25.00 new. Judging from original hat ads I have that go back to the 30s, there were narrow brim hats then too. It's hard to date a hat exclusively by the brim size, other factors have to be considered as well such as type of sweatband, liner, felt quality and workmanship.

regards fedoralover

I understand. Thanks. So have you seen any Cav's with raw edges before?

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
It would scare me to death...well, no, not scare me, but I can't think I would ever want to cut off that signature edge. Know what I mean? I was just curious if Cavanagh even ever made a hat without some treatment to the brim's edge, be it the Cav edge or ribbon binding or something else.

So does your 100 make it out of storage much?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well, I try to rotate my hats. I will wear one for a while and then change to a different one. Or as my mood suits me I change to a certain one. So with over 30 fedora's (small number compared to some collectors here) but still it means none of them get worn a lot. It keeps them all fresher that way. I've had my Optimos's for 3 years and they look brand new.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy