Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey Classified Moderator - a Suggestion for the Classified Section

makitright

One of the Regulars
What would you think if the Classified section here on TFL had a dedicated thread for the selling of hats only and then a separate thread for selling everything else - ie: Luftwaffe jackets and other leather and vintage apparel.

I come here looking for quality fedoras and usually only have enough time to browse through 2 or 3 pages of the classifieds. When those pages are consumed with what most often seems to be a majority of posts selling leather jackets I tend to move on.

I have in fact bought a leather jacket here on TFL a few years back - so I know it is a great spot to seek out these things. But I usually come to the Fedora Lounge classifieds to seek out cool vintage fedoras that I can find nowhere else. I really like to look at the fedoras for sale on The FEDORA Lounge.

At time of writing this, there are 23 posts on page one of the classifieds - 16 are for leather jackets and other clothing items - 5 are related to actual headwear - 2 are sticky threads.

Any comments/suggestions from TFL members are welcome here.

What say you Mr. Moderator?

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
I could make the same case for leather jackets, boots, hats, etc. I would just leave it all as a number of us are interested in many different items and its nice to see them all on/in one list

makitright

One of the Regulars
I'll refrain from stating the obvious here.

But I agree with you, many of us are interested in different items and because many of us are interested in many things, let's just allow the posting of them here in the FEDORA lounge's thread originally created for the sale of fedoras.

I love fountain pens and have been collecting and repairing vintage fountain pens for years now. I have been selling them for years but maybe I could sell more to a different audience - I should be able to post here?

Watches...love em...we should maybe...

My point is, if I am looking for a fedora on The Fedora Lounge, I would rather not have to click through pages that are filled with 80% of the things I am not looking for.

There is nothing wrong with selling leather jackets here, but when the vast majority of postings in the fedora classifieds are for leather jackets I would think it would make more sense for them to be in their own category of threads... it's simply more efficient for all concerned.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
I am meaning its nice to look at all sorts of things. I like looking through the options even if I am looking for a leather jacket or whatever. if they are in categories, I am less likely to do that and others looking for hats lets say, might find a great deal on a jacket, etc. Having sold many jackets on FL, a number of folks have told me they found my listings while looking for other things.................so no I didn't miss your point, I just like it all in one bag. Also, there are not enough items for sale for categories IMO.

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
when the vast majority of postings in the fedora classifieds are for leather jackets I would think it would make more sense for them to be in their own category of threads... it's simply more efficient for all concerned.

If the vast majority of the listings are for one thing, separate categories would be unhelpful, no?

Concerning efficiency, if you click the magnifying glass symbol in the upper right corner of your screen, you can also do a quick search of what you want that way.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
What would you think if the Classified section here on TFL had a dedicated thread for the selling of hats only and then a separate thread for selling everything else - ie: Luftwaffe jackets and other leather and vintage apparel.

I come here looking for quality fedoras and usually only have enough time (or patience) to browse through 2 or 3 pages of the classifieds. When those pages are consumed with what most often seems to be a majority of posts selling leather jackets...well I tend to... well...move on somewhere else.

I have in fact bought a leather jacket here on TFL a few years back - so I know it is a great spot to seek out these things. But I usually come to the Fedora Lounge classifieds to seek out cool vintage fedoras that I can find nowhere else. I really like to look at the fedoras for sale on The FEDORA Lounge.

At time of writing this, there are 23 posts on page one of the classifieds - 16 are for leather jackets and other clothing items - 5 are related to actual headwear - 2 are sticky threads.

Any comments/suggestions from TFL members are welcome here.

What say you Mr. Moderator?
I agree.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Acererak

One of the Regulars
There only seem to be a few new postings a day, if that. Checking out new listings hardly requires more than a minute or two. There’s also a search function. Although this forum is called “the Fedora Lounge,” its meant to refer to eras of fashion when hats were still relevant. Don’t get me wrong. I love hats. My point is that I’m not sure you’re going to get anywhere with such a myopically literalist interpretation of the forum’s name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fedoras are just one area of interest here - the name Fedora Lounge does not mean Hat Lounge. This site was started by Indiana Jones fans who were interested in golden era clothing and cultural artefacts from the era of Jones, when men still wore fedoras. Hence Fedora Lounge. Don't be distracted by the word fedora - right from the start this site was always about shoes and bowties and suits and leathers and fountain pens and vanishing customs.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
It would be really nice to have a hat category. Looking at the number of classified hat posts and hat posts in general, they are certainly a big group.

If jackets and other stuff get so numerous there is no harm in separating them too.

I think of the classified section here as more of a garage sale. Though I have zero interest in hats it certainly doesn't bother me in the least to view the ads or sift through them.
Specific search engine criteria can easily be met on both eBay or Etsy (which probably 90% of sellers here also use and sell thru) and it's even easier to post a WTB advert here should be looking for something very particular.
Point being that to ask the folks that moderate this site merely to ease your own peruasal of one section seems a bit odd to me. The staff here have regular lives and jobs that surely make such a request seem trivial at best. Clicking the next arrow really isn't that hard and if you're exhausted after clicking a mouse a couple times and viewing 3 pages of listed content, brother, you have a condition.

makitright

One of the Regulars
The staff here have regular lives and jobs that surely make such a request seem trivial at best. Clicking the next arrow really isn't that hard and if you're exhausted after clicking a mouse a couple times and viewing 3 pages of listed content, brother, you have a condition.

A really well thought out contribution here. Especially enjoyed the finish and how you took the time to not make it personal. Well done.

I like the Classified section as it is. Mostly interested in hats but love to peruse the list just to see what interesting stuff is on offer. I spend a few minutes each day scrolling maybe a bit more when I get distracted by life and miss a few days. But don't find how it is vexing in the least.

makitright

One of the Regulars
Please don't get your feelings hurt. I just think asking this sort of thing, especially on a forum that is free to join/use/navigate is in poor taste.

No feelings hurt here Skippy. Just commenting on how intellectually challenging it obviously was for you to formulate a constructive contribution to the topic without slinging mud. You almost had it but then you demonstrated your true character by typing the last two sentences - the thread didn't need that.

No feelings hurt here Skippy. Just commenting on how intellectually challenging it obviously was for you to formulate a constructive contribution to the topic without slinging mud. You almost had it but then you demonstrated your true character by typing the last two sentences - the thread didn't need that.
Actually what the thread didn't need is an author at all. If you keep it up you may actually develop the strength and resolve to make it through 4 pages of classified ads!

What is your problem 'makitright' ?? You seem to enjoy eventually berating others with back handed scolding. Is that your true character..?
I think his problem is he doesn't want his own sale ads buried under leather jacket sales...I can't see any other logical explanation...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner