Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Waisted Pants & Jeans!

SayCici

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
Thanks Cici. Yours look super cute! I think your are not pulled up as high as mine, so that might be why the crotch seems low. But I also think the way you wear them looks better on you, so if it doesn't bother you, you should probably just wear them lower!
Thanks! They're pulled up in those pics but my baggy shirt makes them look lower I think.

Inky

One Too Many
a quick review of the Freddies Dolly overalls and Classic Relaxed jeans for you:

I purchased the Dolly overalls in a 38/Black. I typically wear a 14 in modern jeans/trousers. The 38 Dolly's fit throughout, although a bit snug in the tummy area (i have a problem there due to having lost 100+ pounds and needing a tummy tuck but that's a story for another day). As previously mentioned in this thread, they are made for a very long-waisted human, as I need to move the buttons to take the straps up at least 3 or 4 inches, and that was with the straps crossed in the back.

I also purchased the Classic Relaxed fit in 38/Black. They fit slightly looser than the overalls in the tummy area but not by too much. The waist (well, ribcage really) is perfect on the 38 Classic Relaxed for me.

Compared to my beloved vintage Blue Bells, the Freddies are a terrific reproduction. 100% cotton, no stretch, hidden metal zipper under the left front pocket area with metal waistband snap. I plan to make these my "every day" denim and not worry about wearing them out or fading like i do with my Blue Bells.

I would definitely advise ordering a size larger to accommodate hips and have them taken in at the waist if needed. If you have larger thighs, the relaxed fit (or even the utility jeans, next on my wish list) would be the way to go.

I promise there will be pictures and a more detailed review on my blog in the coming days (if the torrential rains we are experiencing this past week ever stop! We Californian's just don't handle "weather" very well!).

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
As previously mentioned in this thread, they are made for a very long-waisted human, as I need to move the buttons to take the straps up at least 3 or 4 inches, and that was with the straps crossed in the back.

:eusa_doh: Forgot to cross my straps, I may not need to move the buttons after all. lol
Again, I am very long waisted.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
retrogirl1941 said:
I just got my freddies of pinewood jeans in today. I ordered the grey untillities. The front is a tad baggy, if I were to wash them would they shrink an little bit or alot?

This is a great question! Do they shrink? I'm terrified to toss mine in the dryer.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Well, I need to try and shrink my old classics, so I'll try tumble drying them - marvellous idea! I'll report back!

If I can work the dryer that is, i've never actually used it.

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK - here are my overalls - not the best pics as there isn't really room for a full length shot...excuse the mess, I am a bit of a slattern. :eek:

2010_01230006.jpg

2010_01230005.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Adorable!

I did wash mine and they shrank a tad. The length definitely shrank as I had room for a good 2" cuff before and now it's maybe 1.5"

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
This is a great question! Do they shrink? I'm terrified to toss mine in the dryer.

Mine shrank surprisingly little. More in the length and almost nothing width-wise.

Hey Smuterella, is that a cute boatneck stripey tee?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
What is the difference betweel Freddies of Pinewood's Black Classic and Black Utility? Are the legs much wider in the Black Utility model?

Inky said:
I would definitely advise ordering a size larger to accommodate hips and have them taken in at the waist if needed. If you have larger thighs, the relaxed fit (or even the utility jeans, next on my wish list) would be the way to go.

Inky, my waist is 33 (sometimes 32) and hips 42, do you think I should order the 32 or 34 (which would them be too large in the hips)?

Smuterella, I love that the fit is slightly loose on you, that's the fit I also want for the overalls, I actually think they are a bit too tight on the model on their website, since they are pretty relaxed pants and I think a looser look is fitting. What size did you order compared to your measurements?

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
all this high waisted talk is pushing me dangerously into the pattern hunting zone, dare I make some high waisted trousers....dun dun dun. Love these simplicity 40s patterns, I didnt realize simplicity did 40s repros, brilliant. The patterns have excellent reviews on patternreview.com and love the blouse and trouser combo, how about the models hair, lovely!
retrosimplicity3688.jpg

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
oh, meant to say, smuteralla those overalls are lovely on you, love the outfit! Does anyone stateside call overalls 'dungarees' or is that just a weird Irish thing?!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
What is the difference betweel Freddies of Pinewood's Black Classic and Black Utility? Are the legs much wider in the Black Utility model?

Inky, my waist is 33 (sometimes 32) and hips 42, do you think I should order the 32 or 34 (which would them be too large in the hips)?

Smuterella, I love that the fit is slightly loose on you, that's the fit I also want for the overalls, I actually think they are a bit too tight on the model on their website, since they are pretty relaxed pants and I think a looser look is fitting. What size did you order compared to your measurements?

Laura, I ordered a size 34 due to my measurments being a waist sized 33" and hips sized 41".

Samantha

victoriav

New in Town
Hi Laura

I am a 33 waist (32 on a good day) and i got the 32 grey utilitys and they fit perfectly. My hips are 42 and again the fit is perfect. I just need to find the perfect top to go with them now! The leg is good and wide which is perfect for the slightly chunky of thigh like myself.

They really are beautiful jeans.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Laura - I'm a 29 waist and 37 hip at the moment (post-Christmas waist expansion) so I went for the 28/38. I do have skinny ole legs though, that contributes to the loose fit I think! lol

We call them dungarees in England too, but I find myself falling into American English on this website. :D

Jetgirl - unfortunately its not a boat neck t-shirt - its actually way too low cut (it shows my bra - the horror) but its OK under the dungarees. I think I stupidly threw away the ideal blouse for wearing under these, because it was cut funnily at the back and didn't tuck into trousers well. D'oh.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
bettydarling said:
all this high waisted talk is pushing me dangerously into the pattern hunting zone, dare I make some high waisted trousers....dun dun dun. Love these simplicity 40s patterns, I didnt realize simplicity did 40s repros, brilliant. The patterns have excellent reviews on patternreview.com and love the blouse and trouser combo, how about the models hair, lovely!
retrosimplicity3688.jpg
I just finished making the pants tonight (i made them into shorts for spring/summer) and unless your hips are already smaller than the pattern says i would suggest cutting them a bit wider, i had to redo my side seams as they were taut across my hips and thighs. I cut a 14, and fit the exact measurements though when i sewed the shorts you would swear i had cut three sizes down :/

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Here's what I think about Freddies...They're okay fit wise if you don't have a 10" difference between your waist and hip measurements. Just like GG stated above...mine are also tighter in hips and huge in the waist. Plus I'm short and short waisted! Boy do I have troubles! [huh] I just don't think these jeans are meant for "hippy" girls. Now my actual vintage jeans don't fit like that at all.

3602604258_994e94254e.jpg

2955064295_69f2a50e34.jpg

3957134056_f0fcd18105.jpg

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
do post the pics Hailey, would love to see them! super cute pics Mary, I suffer from the same short gene or should I say jean! lol Sorry, had to say it. But seriously, it is hard to wear high waists when your vertically challenged! I find it really hard to get a good fit and look totally squatty not to mention plumptastic if they don't fit well

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
the joy of online shopping

Grr, the Freddies I got were too small, so I need to exchange them. They apparently have some stock in the US, so they suggested I send them to the US address to save on postage and get the replacement shipped from there too. Okay, I thought, that means getting a grey pair instead of black, not the end of the world. I will at least save on sending them back. Then they mentioned doing a paypal for $10 to cover shipping the replacements. Grr. So, I get to pay for shipping 3 times? All this shipping is going to cost more than the pants in the first place.

The only other company I have had to do an exchange with is J.Peterman and they cover the cost of shipping for exchanges. What is the standard for online shopping? Do most places make you eat the shipping if you exchange something?

I am especially annoyed because I knew I was close with my measurement in the hip (I am a 42), then the pants turn out to actually be 41", not 42". Plus, it shouldn't cost $10 to ship one pair of jeans to Canada from the US.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
kymeratale said:
Plus, it shouldn't cost $10 to ship one pair of jeans to Canada from the US.
It might be accurate. I recently sold my Freddies to another FLer and sent them from Maryland to California and the shipping was $15. The Freddies US location is in Texas, so about how many zones the package crosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran