Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest price paid, lowest price paid for your fedora.

D

demian

PabloElFlamenco said:
My most expensive hat, purchase price, is a 1930's nutria which OFAS brought me from Montana (initially from LA or Hollywood). I paid $300 US. Add to that around $50 in new sweatband (done locally).
I also have a Stetson 100, which I won on the English (UK) OFAS, say $100. But that hat was too small, so I spent something like $200 (including shipping cost) for Optimo in Chicago to resize, clean, and fit a necessary new sweatband onto it. So we're looking at two hats $350 each. That's Art Fawcett territory (or slightly less).
Expensive?
How's a new felt Borsalino at roughly the same price level hit you?
I'll take my Stetsons, thank you.
Please do not forget that, in my opinion, we in Europe are NOT in hat-privileged territory. The Euro is (was?) expensive, and America is rather more hat-oriented, in my opinion. What are other European members' views on this?
Paul

As for *moi*...$350 including shipping, VS Art Fawcett, work in progress..

I Agree that in the States people are more hat oriented. In that, the baseball hat is the "go-to" hat now...

Style and dress (code) we could say is what has fallen from times past.

I have to say, here in Italy, this season I surprisingly see within many shop windows for the Fall/Winter season many fedoras. Names as D&G, Ferragamo, Gucci and the like....

What is charming here is that it is a sign of self respect how one dreses. HAving vistied that States again after a few years, I found again disappointemnt in the dress of most...even in New York such a fashion center by reputation.

Should the fedora make mainstream fashion, it will be on every head here...and I see it more and more these days..old and young..I do.

Then again, my interest for fedoras is recent and I am judging what I see only now and what I was possibly unable to notice before.

Best
Paul in Italy.

Justdog

Practically Family
Most expensive

Have a Stetson 100 acquired it in like new condition paid reasonable for it.
Now it is priceless:)

Hi Folks,

What is the highest price you paid for one of your fedoras? What is the lowest price you paid for one of your fedoras?
Please list the hat makers name.

My most expensive is a Dobbs fedora in dark green with a 3in brim. long oval purchased from Etsy seller. ( Price $100.00)
My least expensive is a Cavanaugh straw that I purchased on ebay for $12.00 shipping and handling.
My favorite fedora is my Adam fedora, I feel its the oldest hat I own and I believe its the best quality fedora I own. I paid a meer $46.00 from an Etsy dealer for my favorite gray adam fedora with a 3 in brim and great black silk ribbon.

I am going to inventory all my fedoras tomorrow, I will list all the hatters and the price of each in my collection.
TIA
Best regards
CCJ

-30-

A-List Customer
"Highest price paid, lowest price paid for your fedora."
QUOTE: countryclubjoe.

Well, let's see now, these hats being the first in over 45 years!

The first one was a Stetson Panama:
No 4693, profile 93. It is of "Natural" in colour with a 2.75" brim and the band is of a black silken material.
The sweat is of a cloth and not reeded.
Many comments in the affirrmative.
Bought at retail, cost was $ 160.00 + tax.

The second same day purchase (August) was a black Borsalino, model unknown; rabitt/hare no doubt.
The raw edge brim is 2.75" with a silken 1.5" black band.
A leather sweat and sateen liner finishes it off. (Not reeded.)
Few comments due to the fact that I never wear the hat now because of it's flawed quality issues.
Bought at retail, cost was $380.00 + tax.

The third is a vintage 1950's very dark blue "Beaver Quality" fedora by Manleigh Custom Hatters, Toronto.
The bound edge is of a darker silken cloth as is the 1.5" band, with the brim depth being 2.625".
The sweat is of leather and the sateen liner is protected by a transparent cover. (Not reeded.)
Few "lookers" at this because although I like it, I just seldom wear it for the reasons to become apparent below.
Bought at The St Lawrence Antique Market, cost $50.00 - tax in.
(Thank you again Yank.)

Number four is The Leon Drexler Custom, black in colour.
As Steve says, "Galloon Edge" vintage black silk on a 2.50" brim with matching 1.5" band and custom "bow" treatment.
The felt is full beaver with the sweat being of roan leather, and the lining Italian Silk. The sweat is reeded to the crown.
Much admiration given.
Purchase price $450.00 + tax.
Timeline: 4 weeks.
(Thank you again Steve.)

The Future -
A Homburg:
First from the above Market, second from Steve. (Leon Drexler Co.)
A Panama:
Third from Panama Bob.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My highest was an Art Fawcett VS for $385, and for the lowest, I got a beater for about $35 on Ebay. I also got a bowler from someone here, a nice one, for $75. I've bought a few decent hats for $75 to $100, but I've also got a nice collection of Art's hats. And everything in between.

Dronak

Familiar Face
Highest price is easy -- the Stetson Downs I just got cost about $150. Lowest price, I'm not sure. I got a number of low-cost, stingy brim fedoras in stores. I'm guessing at least a few of them were maybe $15-$20. They're from a few different manufacturers.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
My highest paid was about $175 for my Biltmore President and my Stetson Whippet. The lowest I paid was $50 for a gray wool felt that will soon be relegated yard usage once my caribou Stratoliner is finished.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
The most I have spent is $150 for a modern Stetson Strat , the least was $1 for a vintage Open Road bought at a second hand clothing store anniversary sale. I am fortunate to live in an area that hasn't realized that old hats have any value ( and I am not telling them) so ten or twenty dollars usually covers what I drag home.

Lowest = Free, won The Fedora Lounge Edition Campdraft offered by Everything Australian for our group buy. Thanks Sam!
Highest = Most likely be VS Legacy when I save up my allowance & Art gets the Dove color run in....

Mulceber

Practically Family
Lowest - an Optimo I got from an estate sale for $125. Pretty amazing deal for what it was.
Highest - my VS Black Cherry Lite...although that may change when I take a trip to Chicago in March...I've been oggling the Optimo 1000 no-dye silver belly for a long time...

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The lowest price that I have paid was $60 for a 4X Stetson Open Road, on Ebay. The highest priced hat was $670 for a fur felt fedora from Optimo in Chicago.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Most expensive: My Tucker in whiskey color from Art, ~$385.

Least expensive: I can't recall which came in lowest. Probably it would be the $12 green Churchill OR clone I found at a local costume/thrift store. If you count having Optimo clean the hat, cut the brim and rebind it, then it's no longer the cheapest.

My Stetson Temples cost $75 or $80 back in the early and mid-90's, but adjusting for inflation would make them pretty pricey still.

Maybe it would be the Resistol Pacesetter w/ 2 1/4" brim that I picked up on eBay for about $30. The seller thought it was wool felt, which might be why she priced it so low.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
If you trade it seems like free. I have gotten a few free ones. Never passed $800.00 in payment, I have traded
(bartered) for those with values greater than or equal to $1000.00

I went over 600 once for a vintage hat, not wisely. This Stetson 3X is the highest overall. The body was less than 50 but the hat band and accessories that followed have added up to a lot of change.

roanhorse1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael