Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History Channel Gone Wrong

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I was just thinking, does any one remember when the History Channel had shows about history? Vikings and The Bible, mine series, reality shows all night. What happened? It use to be my favorite channel.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes I remember the good old History channel. For a while it was all Hitler based WWII programming. I barely watch the channel now. It seems like it's all reality programming.
Does HC host Top Shot? I enjoy that program.

rjb1

Practically Family
I like to say that you really know something about History if you can remember when the History Channel was actually about History. One of the reasons, aside from cost, that I got rid of cable was because of the degeneration of the History Channel.

I wouldn't object to "reality" programming on the History Channel (or any other channel, for that matter) if the setups weren't so darned phony as to insult the thinking skills of all but the youngest, most naive and/or least intelligent among us.

"Hi, we just happened to be in the neighborhood and noticed all your interesting stuff ... "

or ...

"Hi, are you Jim? Danielle told us she talked with you." (And isn't it the darnedest coincidence that a camera operator just happens to be inside Jim's residence, to capture his perspective on this "spontaneous" exchange on his doorstep? Why, it's downright serendipitous!)

But, you know, at least it isn't voyeuristic (generally, anyway), or mean-spirited, or violent, or lurid.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One word.

aliens-meme.jpeg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In grad school, we used to joke that it was called The Hitler Channel because they had so many WW2 documentaries. But of course, as I am a WW2 historian, it didn't bother me a bit. Now I'd LOVE to see some real documentaries on there, but it's so rare I don't even bother checking anymore.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised they still call it the History Channel.

Preach on Brother! Why not call it what it is... the "Faux History Channel" or "More Interesting Than REAL History Channel". Then at least they could compete with the "Cholesterol and Fat Channel" (The Food Network) and "The Crazed Woman Channel" formerly known as "The Learning Channel". That one brothers and sisters. takes the proverbial cake!

Worf

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
I'm just old enough to remember that. It's a shame because I really enjoy documentaries and it'd be nice to actually see one on TV instead of Netflix...
Also, and this is somewhat off topic, I find it hard to concentrate on a particular program when I can pick and choose from a large variety of the same genre. So, it'd be nice for the TV to say, "Here, this is what's on. Take it or leave it."
Maybe that's just evidence of my generation's lack of patience...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oy, the History Channel. Even when it does something pretty good, like the recent Men That Built America, it's on a sixth-grade level at best. And it feels like half of any given show is taken up with the little tease before each commercial and the redundant recap afterwards. And don't get me started on their "premium programming" like Pawn Stars, Ancient Aliens, Modern Marvels, The Vikings, and the utter travesty they claimed was The Bible.

Luckily, there are still good documentaries out there... on PBS!

rjb1

Practically Family
Has "Modern Marvels" also fallen? It has been several years since I got rid of cable so have not seen any of it recently. When I checked out, "M-M" seemed like the last vestige of quality programming on the former "Hitler-y Channel".

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Ha, I actually really like the new show Vikings on History (FYI, the name of the network was changed just "History" a while ago).

Vikings has lots of tidbits about Norse culture, religion, politics and historical events of 9th century. The series is based on the Saga of Ragnar Lothbrok, who was a historical person. I certainly find it more enjoyable than fluff pieces on wonder weapons of the Third Riech ...

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Men That Built America! It could have been SO much more worthwhile. The commentaries by the contemporary millionaire were SUCH a waste of time. The capsule historis of the men were interesting, and they were pretty frank about some of their cut throat practices. Still, it wound up mired in schlock.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
One of the reasons I don't bother to even watch 99% of the rubbish that is television. Even the (formerly) worthwhile channels have sold out and now broadcast mostly mindless drivel. I get all my TV from Netflix now, as they have The Twilight Zone, a few good movies, and some of the "vintage" documentaries that used to be featured on THC before they sold out.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I really like the History Channel, but I agree, it has its flaws.

I love its documentary series, but some of them are really...bleh.

I was really looking forward to "The Men Who Built America", but after watching it...I dunno. It was just...it seemed weak? Like they rushed it, and made it really trivial or...what's the word...'oversimplified'? Not to criticise, but I felt like they dumbed it down or something.

I'm a fan of some of their shows, but not all.

I really like "PawnStars" and "American Restoration" & "American Pickers" (Although I think they're also on A&E).

I really liked the "Story of the US". The "History of All of Us" was ambitious, but I felt that it should've been longer and more detailed. Now I realise it's impossible to document EVERYTHING, but I just felt that there were more, and more important, events/innovations etc, that they could've added in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy