Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Denim Chore Coats

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where to find a solid article about the history of denim chore coats?

I've looked but my friend Google didn't know much. Tons of pages to online shops, but unable to find anything explaining when, why and by whom the first denim chore coats were made. Perhaps I'm not typing in the right key words? Or is this type of info only available in books?

The closest to what I'm looking for that I've found is http://garywarnett.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/chore-coats/ but it doesn't really go through the history of denim chore coats.

Eager to read what you guys know about this!

Best,

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Wow someone from Japan asking about the history of denim. :) There are so many of your country men in to denim. The best place to look is in Tokyo
The Free & Easy magazine http://magpile.com/free-easy/ had a great issue on them.
165454384_o.jpg

For full on Denim history you can not beat The SuperFuture Denim Forum. http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/forum/22-superdenim/

Here is a thread in the superfuture on Chore Jackets.
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/58030-chore-coats/

As you will see lots of talk about Japanese denim there. The problem for me with Japanese denim is the items they make are into small a size.
I am a 48 R in US sizing and most Japanese made stuff never gets that big.

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
Hi Ed Wiser,

As usual thanks for the reply, I appreciate.

You're right, shame on me... :(
I've got a few good issues from Lightning going over the whole work-wear theme, but nothing much on chore coats (weird...).

I'll get the free&easy issue tomorrow (thanks for the recommendation), but I fear they don't go through the history of that particular piece. I mean, we'll see.

I get you on the sizing thing. I'm a "slim" European and I'm wearing XL Japanese size...

Anyway, if I end up getting the Free&Easy issue you're talking about I'll be more than happy to share the best pages I find.
Best,

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like the idea of these but they tend to look a bit frumpy when worn. Over here you never see chore coats, they aren't part of Australian culture and the only time I wore one for about a month, I got sick of answering questions like, "Why is your denim jacket funny looking, couldn't you get a proper one?" I still kind of want one in black. The Carhartt ones seem to fit oddly. Large is too small extra large is huge.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Carhartt is a work brand here in the states. An they cut the jackets large so you can work in them. I have an actual job that requires uniforms and work wear so Carhartt is a daily thing for me. I have quite a few chore jackets and as it is a common style here no one says a thing. Kentucky was had quite a few garment factorys Wranger and Levi's where made just down the road from Louisville. Up until they sent the work to China many people lost their jobs.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Ed, Carhartt is well known here but hard to obtain. And, sadly worn mainly by 30 year-old hipsters with dubious facial hair. Only one Carhartt shop in this city of 4 million and only a limited range. But I have a cotton duck Detroit in large/tall which fits perfectly. Their chore jackets in the same size however are tight on the shoulders and cut differently. I love a good cotton duck jacket. I wouldn't say they cut their stuff large from what I've seen - but I defer to your experience. I usually need extra large, a Large Carhartt in most of their range fits me well.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
What is funny to me is the way Carhartt and Red Wing is marketed over seas as a high end brand. I buy Carhartt at a small family store that sells uniforms for workers and school kids. They carry the whole Carhartt line and the prices they charge is no where what I see people outside the USA pay for the stuff.
I think they spray the jackets with "Unobtainium" simular to the whole jeans Selvedge jean scene.

What is funny to me is the way Carhartt and Red Wing is marketed over seas as a high end brand. I buy Carhartt at a small family store that sells uniforms for workers and school kids. They carry the whole Carhartt line and the prices they charge is no where what I see people outside the USA pay for the stuff.I think they spray the jackets with "Unobtainium" simular to the whole jeans Selvedge jean scene.
Yep. Go to a hardware or tack shop in middle America (or any smaller town) and you see those brands on the shelf next to the other standard items priced for working folks. Heck, next time I go overseas, I might fill a bag with it and sell it there ;)

I think I have at least 4 CarHartts. A blanket lined chore coat that I've worn for fall yardwork for years..a 'tall' sized winter quilted insulated jacket..and a couple of blanket lined waist jackets. Not expensive at all here in the states but made well and will take a beating.
HD

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
Just out of curiosity, but how much do you guys pay for work shirts over there?
I went to Desolation Row yesterday, the minimum price point starts at 16,000JPY. Same at Hinoya.

If any of you knows where to buy good workshirts from an online American seller with international delivery that would be awesome by the way.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I buy my Carhartt on line from the US. I'm not paying $300 for a Detroit jacket over here. Australian workwear is poor and limited, you can't get duck cotton only nylon... at least we make good hats....

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does it have to be denim? I think the blue work jackets ("bleu de travaille") from europe are the predecessor to any denim work jackets. If you really want to have a complete history of the denim chore coat you might start there. But do you really want to find the earliest style or just something from the golden era?

Free and Easy has "30s-40s" issue with many workwear jackets. In the book "Vintage menswear-A collection from the vintage showroom" you can fidn both european and american work clothes.

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
Hey Flat Foot Floey,

Thanks for the reply. No not necessarily denim you're right to point that out. I'm just trying to find more about the history of that garment.
I've found a lot of people sharing pictures of their collections, or even some Japanese magazines talking about it, but none of them really went through the history side of things.

Good call on the bleu de travail. Good thing I'm French, I suppose that it will facilitate the research part ;)

Best,
Kevin

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, so I spelled it with one "L" too much. Typical. I totally suck at french since they randomly leave out or add letters to their words. :D

Try Mr French Can Can then. He may have some earlier blog posts about chore jackets. he is also nice to chat with (on facebook for example)
http://fcancan.blogspot.de/

Renault

One Too Many
A bit of trivia and history;

Starting sometime in the teens the US army began issuing blue denim fatigue uniforms for everyday work details. They went thru several modifications in the 20's and 30's and were still being issued at the beginning of WWII. Then the Familiar OD HBT s and such became the norm.

The Civilian Conservation Corps ended up with bunches of the older WWI surplus denim fatigues, like they did most everything else that is now cool!!! Tents, meat cans, canteens, etc. Many of he Model 1938 denim fatigues were given to POW's over here with a big white "PW" stenciled on the back. Had one and let a guy talk me out of it!!!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Doc, I'm usually a 44 but I've just shelled out on a new goat half-belt and a 1980's Bluey (an Australian wool chore /donkey jacket) so I'm not really in the market... but I keep wanting a black one... damn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24