Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hitchcock

matei

One Too Many
Hello all,

I recently realised that I missed out on loads of great films in my life, and I have since been exploring the classic films of yesteryear. It has been a great experience so far.

While discussing my latest interest in classic films, my wife brought to my attention that I hadn't seen a single film by by Hitchcock. Even my wife had seen them all - and she grew up in a communist country!

So, in an effort to rectify this, the wife and I watched "Dial M for Murder" last night. Wondeful. I liked it a lot.

I think it could've worked well on the stage - it was well paced, with a clever and straightforward plot. Granted, you would miss that clever cinematography that Hitchcock employed.

Just proves you don't need gobs of special effects to hold the audience's attention.

There were some nifty duds in the film as well! The inspector had a rather sharp DB suit, and the American fella didn't dress badly either!

I have to admit however that while Grace Kelly was a fine actress in this role, I don't really care for her. I don't know why - it is as if she is missing something... Oh well - that is just my opinion!

Salv

One Too Many
Free in tomorrows Guardian is a DVD of Hitchcocks original 1934 The Man Who Knew Too Much starring Peter Lorre. Worth £1.30 of anybodys money, I reckon.

The_man_who_knew_too_much_1934_poster.jpg

Naama

Practically Family
How come you haven't seen any Hitchock film before???? It's quite a mistery to me how that can happen..... I don't really like Grace Kelly all that much as well, but there are a lot of Hitchocks films worth seeing anyway! You "HAVE" to see Vertigo, trust me! And haven't you even seen "Psycho"? Still can't belive it ;)

Naama

Lana

New in Town
matei said:
I think it could've worked well on the stage - it was well paced, with a clever and straightforward plot. Granted, you would miss that clever cinematography that Hitchcock employed.

You're very correct on that. Dial M for Murder was originally written for the stage. From what I've read when it premiered, people considered it too "talky" for a Hitchcock picture. Whatever that means.

Now that you have your feet wet with Hitch's films, may I suggest you watch Shadow of a Doubt, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes and Rear Window. Those are some of his best films, IMO.

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I'll splash out on the Guardian for my copy of the DVD.

I never watched much television as a kid, and for some reason the classic films were usually scheduled when I would be out anyhoo. I would only see them when I was home ill, stretched out on the couch.

Plus, me aul' fella had a monopoly on the telly. If it wasn't a war documentary or some other "blood and honour" type film, it wouldn't be aired. From time to time me mum would get one of her mysteries in.

Not that there is anything wrong with "blood and honour" type films, they're just not everyone's cup of tea!

Feraud

Bartender
Dial 'M' is a great one!
If you have the opportunity check out Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds, North by Northwest, Rear Window, and especially Vertigo. That last one is a favorite! Jimmy Stewart's character Scotty is just kooky! :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shadow of a Doubt's a long-time favorite of mine, but Rear Window as well. Thelma Ritter has loads of great lines - I've got a few of her snippets on the computer that I have fun popping into emails to friends or on their webpages.

Benard Herrmann's score in Vertigo is one of my all-time favorites! That's my next soundtrack.
Rebecca is another good one that Hitchcock directed.

EDIT: Oh, here's another movie I forgot! Rope. I believe it was Hitchcock's first color film. It's very interesting because the movie is supposed to look like it was shot in one take. Very suspenseful too!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, boy, no Hitchcock!

The above suggestions are good. I also was not much of a Grace Kelly fan until I saw her in Rear Window. One of Hitchcock's best!

Also, remember that he directed one of the scariest movies of all-time: Psycho. I am not a gal who screams, but I must have jumped a foot out of my seat at one point in that movie.

Of course, I loved Vertigo, and found The Birds to be an interesting and fascinating film.

Others: North By Northwest, The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Knew too Much (I saw the 1955 film with James Stewart and Doris Day). Almost all his films are great. I have some to see, too, some of the older ones.

karol

Doh!

One Too Many
All great suggestions, and here's another: Lifeboat ('44). If memory serves, the entire film takes place on that very small lifeboat adrift in the ocean.

One to avoid (the only one I can think of): The Wrong Man ('56). Even with Henry Fonda as the lead, this one's quite dull.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Have I mentioned this one before

"Shadow of a Doubt" is a great Hitchcock film.
Joseph Cotton makes (surprisingly) a good creepy guy.

(SPOILER ALERT! DON'T READ FARTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT.
The ending surprised me in that the girl saved herself. Hitch never does that. I presumed MacDonald Carey would have to save the day.

The Wolf

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I'm very partial to The Wrong Man - a kafka-esque miscarriage of justice story, based on real events, very noir......

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love Hitchcock's movies. My favorite is 'Vertigo'...very well done. I haven't seen all of them myself but want to also. It's funny you brought this up cause me and a friend of mine were talking about this last night of wanting to watch some vintage movies that we've just never been able to get around viewing. The top one on my list is 'Gilda'...can't wait!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bewitching Strangers on a Train

Craig Robertson said:
Strangers on a Train. in 1951, is a film that many directors cite as an inspiration to them.

Interesting little bit of trivia...almost anyone who has seen the movie knows that Marion Lorne who played Bruno's dinghy mother went on to play the even dinghier Aunt Clara in Bewitched.

But did you know that another long-term Bewitched cast member was also in the film? Kasey Rogers, who played the second and best remembered Louise Tate was in Strangers as Guy Haines wife Miriam. She's listed in the credits under one of her other screen nom de plumes, Laura Elliott.

Salv

One Too Many
If any of the UK Loungers didn't buy the Guardian yesterday and want a copy of The Man Who knew Too Much they're welcome to have mine. It's very much of its time and the acting is very stylised compared to the more naturalistic acting style that developed post-WW2. I'm sure that at the time it was very exciting, but the themes have since been done to death, so todays viewer may not find it particularly thrilling. In its favour it's very atmospheric - the scenes of London in the fog are classic noir - and there are some surprisingly modern camera angles dotted about. Overall, it's a very nice period piece, with some fine clothes and plenty of hats, but a little unsatisfying as a thriller.

So, if anyone wants a copy PM me with an address. First come first served.

EDIT - a PM from "Doc" Devereux got the DVD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy