Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hitler's fedora

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here are some more photos from this thread , possibly the one that Pablo was thinking about.

Here's another thread about Austrian and German hutmachers with more of BT's nifty hats.

ADHD librarian said:
well,
this fedora wearer is more well known for his role in WWII,
but he was a soldier in the War to End all Wars too. No Idea when these photos were taken but probably during or just before the second.

hitlerraras188.jpg

hitlerraras190.jpg

hitlerraras146.jpg

hitlerraras187.jpg

I wonder if he picked it up off the streets at a book burning, where it may have been dropped by some passing archaeologist?

mineral

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Just for the record, this hat is a peculiar shade of grey...
a warm grey with a violet hue, which is more apparent on the inside of the hat.
The ribbon is a mid brown.

I would estimate the hat's vintage as 1920s-ish.
Labeled "Gompertz".

I also have a "furry" Borsalino from the '40s, labeled as "The Angora".
It's a different kind of "fuzzy", though.

B
T

Now that I see the picture of this hat again, it reminds me of that memorable Habig hat with Cyrllic lining writing (originally sold in the Russian community in Shanghai or something) that was auctioned off on eBay a while back. Does anyone on here buy the hat or could share pictures? I think it would be interesting to compare.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
mineral - for really, really rough translations, cut and paste what you need to translate into this. It won't allow you to carry on a fluent conversation, but it will allow you to get the gist of most things.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
mineral said:
Speaking of Mayser, maybe someone can translate this ad?

Literal translation: "I miss a Mayser hat" (Ulm factory - In stock at ... Julius Thanhauser, address)
I would interpret the catch phrase as "I want" or "I need" a Mayser hat.

Nowhere, however, do I perceive any reference to Adolph Hitler, :eek:fftopic: the one person who has done more, he alone, to destroy the reputation of Germany than the entire course of German history before and, hopefully, after him.

Pablo

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
PabloElFlamenco said:
Nowhere, however, do I perceive any reference to Adolph Hitler, :eek:fftopic: the one person who has done more, he alone, to destroy the reputation of Germany than the entire course of German history before and, hopefully, after him.

Pablo

:eek:fftopic: Thankfully Germany's reputation is more or less restored now, thanks to people like Konrad Adenauer. When I mention Germany people think of people in Lederhosen wearing hats like this one eating sausages and drinking beer. While this stereotype is silly, it's better than Hitler.

Topdog

Familiar Face
Not for nothing but how is Hitler any different than some of England's Dictatorial Monarchs and their treatment of the Scots as well as many of their other conquered territories in their long illustrious career of building the empire.. In fact, many people credit England with the first concentration camp. Here is an interesting fact, in the period of the French Revolution, British troops jailed, on the isle of carbera, tens of thousands of French soldiers in Devon. 20,500 of them died.

Every nation has its shameful activities. The United states effectively eliminated its indiginous Native American culture and forced them onto reservations. We incarcerated all Japanese americans during WWII.

To bring back on to topic., I wear hats because I like them, I don't exclude a style of hat because of some one who wore one.

mineral said:
Mayserwegener, is that a modern production hat? Interesting design on the ribbon!

Speaking of Mayser, maybe someone can translate this ad?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Reklamemarke-Mir...temQQimsxZ20090117?IMSfp=TL090117129001r14083

As I posted earlier, Hitler wore a tophat made by this company (or individual). And the ad seems to suggest that he gets his felt from Mayser? (My German is totally rubbish so any help is welcome.)

Yes this hat was made a couple years ago. The velour is not the same as the modern Tonak velour. It has a much softer feel and the color mix is unique.

It wouldn't surprise me that Hitler wore Mayser hats. They were the major hat company in Germany. I am sure most of the German movie stars like MD wore them too.

donCarlos

Practically Family
So you call the furry velvet-like finish of the felt "velour". Interesting.

What´s more interesting, I have one of these in my possession! I guess it´s one of those that Hitler himself would probably wear...If he was chained to a post somewhere in Siberia and had nothing to put on his head:)

2008_12060009.jpg

And speaking of Tyrolean hats, I think I can get two or three of them, but I don´t like the look and I´m too lazy to try to sell them.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Could this be Hitler's hat?

Dixon Cannon said:
HU002797.jpg
s-fedora.jpg
MVC-013S.jpg

He tended to wear it around Berchtesgaden when relaxed and 'off'. There is some film of him there in his fedora.

-dixon cannon
standstatahbronzeart09.jpg
Hitler_walkingstick_5.jpg

OK, picked this hat up in Camden Market in London last year for £5.00 it is a German made (circa 1920's), velour or 'fuzzy' finish, very floppy hat! it looks remarkably like Hitler's own wouldn't you say?!

german_1.jpg

german_2.jpg

Yikes!

billyspew

One Too Many
The Elizans said:
OK, picked this hat up in Camden Market in London last year for £5.00 it is a German made (circa 1920's), velour or 'fuzzy' finish, very floppy hat! it looks remarkably like Hitler's own wouldn't you say?!

german_1.jpg

german_2.jpg

Yikes!

The similarity is amazing! Also slightly disturbing - don't wear it with a leather trench ;)

The Elizans

Familiar Face
a fair question!

Baron Kurtz said:
German made? What are the markings?

I have a very similar (essentially identical) long hair in black, but it's French.

bk

Actually, I forgot to write it down! it is not with me at the moment; I will be home again at the weekend and will be sure to report back- sorry to keep you in suspense!

T.E.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I say you put it on Ebay, lie that it came from Hitler's fourth cousin thrice removed living in exile in Madagascar, and ask a quarter mil for it. ;) Cool hat.

The Elizans said:
Actually, I forgot to write it down! it is not with me at the moment; I will be home again at the weekend and will be sure to report back- sorry to keep you in suspense!

T.E.

I would like to know the make too.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hückel Super Sport

I did not really know, where to post this hat propperly :eusa_doh: German Austrian thread, or so.

Well, if you go to one of the previuos posts within this thread, you will find a picture of Frau Braun and her later to become husband wearing some fluffy headgear.

Looks prety much like a Hückel Super Sport melusine velour (long stock beaver or beaver hare mix? Clear beaver is more likely) with narrow ribbon.

How would I know?

Here is one, I just got. It was on Ebay US, originally purchased through a dealer in Stuttgart, Germany, came to the States and now is back. :rolleyes:

P1080956.jpg

P1080953.jpg

P1080954.jpg

"A hat worthy of AH?"

Indeed, these melusine hats were not cheap at the preiod. Today, this particular felt quality may not be made any more. A hatter in Bavaria, Germany, still has some old stock of similar melusine made of Sibirian hare felt, that his grandfather bought 40 years, ago. A black fedora made of this quality will cost over EURO 900! Part of the price is scarceness and part is certinly the circumstance of it being a family inheritence.

The Hückel really weares well and feels light and fluffy, like a well fed chincilla after a bath in bubbly Palmolive. :)

Dating: There are no indications of CSSR/TONAK production. Also the sweatband is more war or pre-war style. It might have been old stock, sold after WWII to some GI doing his service in Germany. This would explain, why it made it´s way to California. I have no records on the shop, otherwise I could ask if they had a special sale for US servicemen offering "The Führer Fedora". Who knows? It is only guesswork! The shop, at least, would have known about famous wearers of this particular hat model in Germany.

So, this could pretty well be a jolly good relic of the period. There were three owner´s initials tags attached to the sweatband that had been removed. So, it is certinly not one of the lost and redescovered hats of .... .

Edward

Bartender
This has produced a really interesting thread. I'm intrigued by velour fedoras; I've seen a few production models online, but I'm never sure what to look for to be sure of quality - any pointers?

Re Hitler, it certainly seems the little fellow was rather a sharp dresser when in civilian duds. For some reason, though, I keep thinking "Peter Sellers" when I see him in a fedora - no idea why!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes. Velour felt and mountainous regions seem to go together.

Now I'm confused.

The Alpine regions, of Bavaria and Austria, favored Loden cloth, which comes in that sage green color. It would kind of look like, the Velour in a picture, but has a different texture. The pictures you are posting, are definitely fuzzy looking. Loden would be more like a suede. (at least to me)

Or maybe it's that negative stereotype, but when I think of a fuzzy, Velour Fedora, I don't think of the Alps, I think a seedy, downtown street corner, in the 1970's.

Velours (as are other long hair finishes) are also popular in Alpen (Bavaria, Austria, Nothern Italy, Czech Republic, France, ect) style hats. Velour can be of very high quality felt which is certainly the case with the vintage Hückel Dreispitz posted (same as others on this thread).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner