Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywoodland

Doh!

One Too Many
According to "Hollywood Kryptonite" (great read, by the way) that scene is based on a real event. During some public appearance that Reeves made, a kid brought a real gun and asked if he could shoot him.

After that, no more public appearances in costume.

GOK

One Too Many
I went to see this last night on a whim. I hadn't even heard of it but decided to give it a try. I'm so pleased I did. It is one of those rare films where absolutely everybody gives a first class performance and there is real character development.

The basic premise is that a deeply flawed and somewhat lowlife PI is hired to investigate the death of George Reeves, who played Superman. It was deemed a suicide but his mother claimed he was murdered. Now, I have to point out that I know nothing of this case - I wasn't even aware that Reeves was dead, so it may be that people more au fait with the case will see errors and flaws. However, even if that is the case, it shouldn't detract from it being an excellent film, with sterling acting.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING

So the stars; Adrien Brody - completely convincing as a pretty horrible character. At first he appears to be unscrupulous, unethical and basically not the kind of person anyone in their right mind would want to be associated with. However, the character develops all through the film, with Brody managing to give him an element of pathos. I felt really quite sad for him by the end. In fact, I had a distinct lump in my throat when he was watching the martial arts reel. Very, very moving. Affleck's expressions said it all. It felt like a metaphor for Simo's own life too.

Bob Hoskins - genius! Utterly believable as Mannix. Again, a thoroughly loathsome character. However, there was a moment near the end when you realise that he has a tender side too. Without giving any spoilers, watch out for his chat with his wife when he zips up her dress. Beautifully done.

Ben Affleck - absolutely wonderful! He was perfect as George Reeves. I've never disliked Affleck but he's not really done much for me as an actor. He's always been a bit samey IMO. But in this film, he shined! He gave such a beautiful performance. He's put on weight and it really suits him. His character was incredibly charming, sweet, gentle...and Affleck pulled this off magnificently. The boy has finally become a man! lol Oh, and there is a wonderful moment during filming of Superman, when Clarke Kent tells Lois Lane he can introduce her to the man of steel! It actually seemed very natural.

Diane Lane - my goodness, what a fantastic actor. Completely credible. Toni Mannix is beguiling yet vulnerable, controlling yet insecure, sexy but fading. As a woman rapidly approaching that point when I realise I probably have less than 'ten good years', I found myself identifying in some way with her. It is hard to accept the advancing years and the fading beauty but it happens to us all. If I'd seen this a few years ago, I'd have dismissed her out of hand as a thoroughly awful female but I don't know - perhaps I've mellowed in my dotage! Or maybe I'm just able to feel a certain compassion for a middle aged woman brought to life by a younger man. Or perhaps it's that her husband (at least at first) appeared to be nothing more than a power crazed lout in a suit with a fat bank balance and a mistress, so understandable she should find love in the arms of another? <shrug> Lane portrayed a very complex character and did it with aplomb.

Lois Smith (East of Eden) as Reeve's mother proved again that people are rarely as they seem at first glance. Helen Bessolo is a woman completely eaten up with rage and regret. She goes from being a sad little old lady, grieving for her son to a Mrs Bates-esque overbearing mother, spitting bile and badmouthing everyone associated with her darling boy. Still later, we are shown that in fact, she is grieveing for far more than the death of her son and that ultimately the only way she can begin to salve it is by playing ball with 'the big guys'. And you know that even then, she is going to be haunted for the rest of her life. As a mother, I found this to be deeply moving - we all make mistakes and the real tragedy of it is when you're unable to rectify them or you are never given the chance to.

Geoffrey DeMunn as Art Weismann, Reeves' agent was so sweet. I found it hard to believe that either the actor or character had a nasty bone in his body. Such a kind and gentle man. Watch out for him at the funeral. <sniff>

Robin Tunney (Leonore Lemmon) - Oh my goodness I thought she was such a vile harpy at first! What an excellent performance! I can't really say too much about the character because it really would give away too much of the plot but she certainly deserves respect for the way she met Reeves! lol

Allen Coulter's (Sex and the City, Sopranos) direction was fantastic, the cinematography was wonderful, especially the seemless transitions from flashback to the (film') present and there is a lovely moment when Affleck has been cut into From Here to Eternity and is conversing with Burt Lancaster. A real gem!

I loved that barring Reeves and his agent, plus Simo's family, everyone involved was utterly horrible. Or at least that is how it seemed at first. As the story unfolded however, some of my opinions changed. We all know there is a seedy underbelly to Hollywood and this film not only confirmed it but briefly touched upon the idea that certain other high profile deaths might not have been so accidental after all. What was interesting was the lengths that some people would go to to protect an image or reputation. Be it of a person, film or studio. I'm not in any way suggesting that the methods employed were to be lauded but in this day and age, it seems there is no mystique surrounding our stars anymore. I'm sure we don't need to know about every dirty deed people get up to.

I was very impressed that the film didn't attempt to solve the mystery. It offered several solutions but allowed the audience to draw its own conclusions, although possibly the final scenario was the one the filmakers preferred.

Best quote of the film?

"You know she's a lesbian?"
"No...is she really?"
"Actually no, but as far as you are concerned, she is."

Negative comments? Only one - Veronica Watt as Rita Hayworth. Wrong. That's all.

Hondo

One Too Many
Ben Affleck

While I still haven’t had the chance to sit down and watch this, I got wind or word, would it surprise any one here that our boy Ben Affleck be may up for Oscar nomination? Stranger things have happened, have you seen this?

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Saw this movie...

I saw this movie and being both a Superman fan and a George Reeves fan I highly recommend it. I was a throughly enjoyable movie and gives you a couple things to mull over in your head about the whole George Reeves Case. I'd have to say the most enjoyable part for me was everyone in the group of people I was with when I saw it in the theater told me I should have played George Reeves.

Funny thing is growing up, until I could read and figure things out on my own I was always told and always thought the orginal George Reeves jumped out a window because he thought he could fly... anyone else ever hear that?

-JX

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I remember hearing that Reeves jumped of a building because he thought he fly. Like Mama Cass choking to death on a ham sandwich, it turned out to be what people were willing to believe instead of what happened.
As we know G. R. actually died because of the "Superman Curse". Like Kirk Alyn, the first Superman, who died a few years ago at the age of 88. Took a while for the curse to catch up, but it got him.:eusa_doh:

The Wolf

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Have not seen the movie yet, but from the trailer it appears that Ben looks real close to George Reeve. Looking forward to it coming out on DVD. I was in Metropolis, IL at the Superman Museum and the person running the place told me that George was accidentally shot while trying to take the gun away from his girlfriend. He told me that the girlfriend admitted on her death bed that she had gone to his bedroom to tell him that she was going to kill herself because, I believe, that he was leaving her. He had just gotten out of the shower and grabbed the gun and it went off killing him. She was the daughter of a big time director or producer and they covered it up to protect her and her father. They made it appear to be a self inflicted gun shot wound and that she had found him there. Not sure how true the story is, but I rather believe that it was accidental and not a deliberate suicide. Metropolis, IL has the largest Superman Statue and it is at City Hall. It looks alot like Christopher Reeves. One of George's orgininal costumes is in the museum. George is my favorite Superman. I use to watch it every day after school.

Gray Ghost

Feraud

Bartender
I saw Hollywoodland at the theater and liked it a lot! The entire cast was great with the exception of Brody. He was "so-so". Ben Affleck deserves special mention for doing a great job of portraying the pathos of a "kept man" who just wants to make his mark in the world.
I have added this to my Netflix for a second viewing.

Hondo

One Too Many
carebear said:
Like most people, he's at his best when he isn't trying to "act".

Thats so true,:eek:fftopic: I enjoyed Ben in "Reindeer Games" Gary Sinise was great as always;)
But George Reeve was a fine actor, I can recall in the later years, people would see "Gone With The Wind" and yell out "Hey theres Superman!":(
He was a much better actor than the Superman series, its tough to be type cast. I got to see this film, I hope this weekend.

GOK

One Too Many
Julius Xavier said:
II'd have to say the most enjoyable part for me was everyone in the group of people I was with when I saw it in the theater told me I should have played George Reeves.

Yes but it's easy to see why they said that, Julius - you do bear more than a passing resemblence to Affleck...at least in your av picture you do. (My friends keep saying it should be me playing Bella in the next HP film...and it has nothing to do with sharing the same surname!! lol)

Doh!

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Adults said the man who played Superman fell out of a window, in a cruel twist of irony.

Apparently, that legend was around even soon after he died. My older brother had a Superman t-shirt (which was later handed down to me) from the '60s that had in tiny writing on the bottom: "Remember kids -- only Superman can really fly!"

Man, I wish I still had that shirt!

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Does it really take a Shakespearian actor to play George Reeves?

In today's Hollywood, how many actors can actually act? Ask Julia Roberts on her Broadway appearance disaster! Isn't it amazing that Hollywood has to utilize an 82 year old actor in Christopher Lee to play a villain in the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Maybe it is because actors trained on the stage can actually act!

I could imagine how many takes per scene in took Affleck in Hollywoodland. Just say, I hope Affleck has a lot of friends on the motion picture academy if he is ever going to win an Oscar for his acting ability!

Feraud

Bartender
anselmo1 said:
In today's Hollywood, how many actors can actually act? Ask Julia Roberts on her Broadway appearance disaster! Isn't it amazing that Hollywood has to utilize an 82 year old actor in Christopher Lee to play a villain in the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Maybe it is because actors trained on the stage can actually act!

I could imagine how many takes per scene in took Affleck in Hollywoodland. Just say, I hope Affleck has a lot of friends on the motion picture academy if he is ever going to win an Oscar for his acting ability!

Apparently, Affleck has such friends on the Academy judging by the undeserved Oscar he received for Good Will Hunting! :eusa_doh: Ben is no great actor but like most if given a decent script and good direction they do a sufficient job. The last thing a movie needs is an actor wanting creative control.

I may be generalizing but English actors are much better than their American counterparts. I will leave it to the Lounge to discuss why if they are so inclined.

Hondo

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Ben is no great actor but like most if given a decent script and good direction they do a sufficient job. The last thing a movie needs is an actor wanting creative control.
True, Actors/Actress get parts based on ability, but most will tell you it’s the money ($$) the work that drives them to seek parts, roles no matter how lousy the script. They do as they are told by directors and the lines they read. Many a fine actor has played a poor role or awful movie script. So its work, work and work like the rest of us. I wouldn't want to be judged by the quality of my work (what I do for a living) but more so by my personality, I think too many see an actor on screen and say that’s the way they are in real life, and that may hold true for some but not all. Let's give them a chance and wait and see, shall we?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy