Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holy grail? 1929 suit

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very well made..... of great cloth that to me, personally, is more wearable as jacketing than suiting. I'm sure that most here would disagree.

DamianM

Vendor
I have to disagree. This is before the market crash and when Suits where in these colors and materials.
It is not for everyone I understand but this screams 20's. and I would wear it in a heartbeat.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That suit was for sale on the RP vintage website for $1100 - so I expect the reserve price is rather high. It's good to see such a large vintage suit available.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Very well made..... of great cloth that to me, personally, is more wearable as jacketing than suiting. I'm sure that most here would disagree.

Gorgeous and without doubt extremely rare.
But I could never wear such a loud pattern.

I'm with A. C. Lyles in that I couldn't see myself in a full suit of such bold material. As a jacket it would be great, but all a bit music hall for my tastes as a full suit.

This might be modern aesthetics creeping in. That said, I fully agree. I'm not sure I'd wear this as a suit unless it was to a vintage themed event like the Gatsby Picnic or Queen Marry; as a sport coat on the other hand . . .

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
This might be modern aesthetics creeping in.
If you mean 1920-30's modern, certainly. ;) Give me those sober grays, cool blues and drab browns.
Then as now many men preferred more subdued and "modest" fabrics - so I'm not sure whether its some subconcious influence of present-day aesthetics.
Incidentally the fabric reminds of the high-contrast windowpanes so popular recently with the "iGent blogger" bespoke crowd.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
If you mean 1920-30's modern, certainly. ;) Give me those sober grays, cool blues and drab browns.

Me too. I prefer to "make my statement" with my tie / shirt combo.

Then as now many men preferred more subdued and "modest" fabrics - so I'm not sure whether its some subconscious influence of present-day aesthetics.

That's a really good point. Looking at vintage fashion plates, crazy patterns are there to be found, but in old photos of average men not so much...

Incidentally the fabric reminds of the high-contrast windowpanes so popular recently with the "iGent blogger" bespoke crowd.

Until you mentioned it, that didn't occur to me, but you're quite right. Perhaps if the jacket was smaller and stretched over a larger mannequin, for that too tight and too short look . . . lol

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I like it. I'd wear it. It would be even better with a matching waistcoat. I'd like a couple louder suits in my wardrobe, though with the measurements and price it isn't going to be this one.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I like the pattern but me personally would not date a guy if he came to pick me up in the full suit,,LOL! just sayin...:)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would wear it. Of course not in a business enviroment but then the jacket alone would be too much anyway. But on the weekend? It's a fun suit.
Certainly better than the usual "go to hell pants" I see on those dreaded preppy blogs.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to know if you want to have a quiet day. ;)

Ok, I admit it is not the first suit to buy if you just want an versatile wardrobe. It has his time and place ...but so does white tie.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It was a stout fellow who owned it, that's for sure! Looks to me like something you'd wear in a rural setting, stalking the wild asparagus or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner