Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holy Grail of B-3s, the 1937 undyed sheepskin contract!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
They have fewer an fewer jets there now, especially with the new CAA rules and regulations which came in after Shoreham. Eastman only go to Legends these days. The May and September air shows usually cover a wider period than Legends.
I used to go to the military fairs at Shoreham, picked up some bargains, a D1 for £10, good but badly torn on an arm. N1 deck jacket from the USS Lexington, another £10er, an original B3 for £110, but that was the going price for something with repairs then, but only needed a more authentic zip. Always a good chat with Steve Silburn.
Yes I understand about the crash. Were you at the ME109s debut? They announced this 'new' aircraft in the collection and flying about 200ft, came in from the north over the hangers and crowds. Everyone was amazed. Shame it crashed a couple of years later. Could have been nasty but it hedge hopped over the M11 if I remember and crashed in a field.
Never been to Legends, usually classes with my summer hols at either end. I love the aircraft but probably love the jets simply because we don't see them as much.
Hoping to make the Shuttleworth collection in autumn this year. That'l make a change :)
Seeya, J

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Andrew and Charles - always great to learn motre abouyt hte histoy & development of the jackets we love. :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Edward. I'm really hoping Charles can shed some light on the no-name contracts, including the 1937 one. I am waiting in anticipation Charles.

Stand By

One Too Many
Just a question that occurred to me on an early dog walk this week ... I was thinking about all the vintage B3 jackets (and this would apply to A2s and Irvins as well for that matter) and I was wondering how all these jackets were let go by the USAAF back then at war's end. The war was won and over and all these hundreds of thousands of personnel were de-mobbed en masse - but I was wondering how it would be that the USAAF would let all the jackets go? I mean, they'd be considered government property, surely?
Or was there just a collective sense of relief at the cessation of hostilities and if someone wanted to keep the jacket (and associated gear) they'd worn for so long, the USAAF just shrugged and let them take it?
How did that play out?
Thanks.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just a question that occurred to me on an early dog walk this week ... I was thinking about all the vintage B3 jackets (and this would apply to A2s and Irvins as well for that matter) and I was wondering how all these jackets were let go by the USAAF back then at war's end. The war was won and over and all these hundreds of thousands of personnel were de-mobbed en masse - but I was wondering how it would be that the USAAF would let all the jackets go? I mean, they'd be considered government property, surely?
Or was there just a collective sense of relief at the cessation of hostilities and if someone wanted to keep the jacket (and associated gear) they'd worn for so long, the USAAF just shrugged and let them take it?
How did that play out?
Thanks.
Thought about that too as it does say "Property Air Force US ARMY". Were any sent for pubic auction such as the aircraft remains(at Kingman etc) or Motorcycles and clothing etc? It certainly was the case in the UK as a friend, now deceased bought an Indian motorcycle for £5 and a full Irvin suit 10shillings.
The majority of what are now rare items such as Andrews jacket were, a/ not many made in the first place, b/ had 5+ years extra to be worn out. I would think many of these so called 'mint condition' war time A2s B3s were probably lost in some store in the vast US military machine or issued and simply never or rarely used.
It is just a shame that a lot of these rare almost unused items have no traceable history as the battle scarred and war weary jackets often have a story connected and traceable if still in the original veterans family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner