Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home re-flanging of a western??

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have this Bailey 100% beaver that has developed a snap brim. Snap brim on a 4 inch brim western isn't really what I want nor what looks good on a western.
Has anyone re-flanged their western successfully at home with readily available tools?
I'm thinking a hat stretcher inserted and then wet and iron in radial and circular motions to flatten the brim.

4058764596_cbcebcba77_s.jpg

4058025537_2cb52513f0_s.jpg

4058027229_3588539ee2_s.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
I'd have to take that one to Shorty's here in Oklahoma city.

The only re-flanging I've done is with a steam iron and an ironing board.
I think you're on the right track. Like gtdean48 says, use something inbetween the felt and the bottom of the iron or you'll get shiny spots on the felt.

High Pockets said:
Having no flanges, I converted one using nothing more than steam and my fingers.

From this:
100_2458.jpg

To this:
100_2529.jpg

OK, I'm impressed. Did you do the edge binding as well?

As to suitedcboy's question ...

If the felt is quite stiff (as Westerns often are, although if the brim went limp on you, perhaps this one isn't) denatured alcohol will soften it temporarily, at least long enough to work the brim into the desired shape. Seeing how you're working without a flange, the trick is to find a way to hold the brim in that desired shape until the denatured alcohol evaporates and the felt stiffens up again. You may wish to use food cans and such to hold whatever upsweep you wish the sides to have. Eyeball it from every angle while you make your tweaks and then leave it be.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I have two other black 100% beaver Baileys (remember folks, hats are like potato chips...) and they have the same problem but to a lesser degree. I love the baileys for being colorfast and holding shape when soaked and handled rough but the brim shrinkage seems to be a bit of an issue. I'll pick one and try it and if the result isn't great I'll turn over the others to the pros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy