Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hoosier Cabinet From Hell

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
About ten years ago, Jackie found an old Hoosier Cabinet on the porch of a local antique store. According to the dealer, it had been located in a local barn where it had been sitting for decades. Over the years, it had become very water damaged...its plywood had almost totally delaminated...and parts of its frame had been broken in a fall. To make matters even worse, powder post beetles had infested its base. Actually, it was a total wreck and should have been used for kindling.

But Jackie fell in love with it and it followed her home.

For almost a decade, I managed to avoid the restoration project that I knew was inevitably in my future. I guess I was hoping that if I waited long enough, the beetles would just finish it off. But this spring, Jackie was willing to accept no more excuses. I was going to restore her cabinet or else. So, about a month ago, I began resurecting what would become my Hoosier Cabinet From Hell.

I forgot to photo the silly thing before I began tearing it apart., but just know it was in pitiful shape. Here's the base portion after I had removed all that wasn't usable, which was most of it. I did manage to save the base doors and parts of the two drawers. You can also see where I had to replace parts of the frame that had been eaten by bugs.

Picture054.jpg

The top portion (the hutch) was badly water damaged. As you can see, I saved almost none of the exterior plywood. Only the shelves and the base remained....and they had to be re-laminated by injecting glue between their layers with a hypodermic needle and then clamping them. Two of the doors were gone and had to be remade using the third door as a pattern. Also, the two back vertical frame parts had to be remade because they had been broken in a fall.

Picture058.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Here's Jackie sanding and sanding....and sanding.

Picture055.jpg

Here's the finished cabinet. We just completed it tonight. One good thing is that the entire flour sifter assembly and related parts were all with the cabinet when Jackie found it. I was able to save it all. The drawers had to be mostly re-built. The base floor had been badly bug eaten, so I scrapped it. It is now heart pine that I milled and fitted into place. All of the hinges and other external hardware are new. The tambour is original, but I re-bound it with new tambour cloth.

Enjoy.

Picture069.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture066-1.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Wow...it appears that you practically rebuilt this one from scratch. Given the amount of work and number of hours that you've put into this, you should put your "reverse engineering" skills to work and start a line of authentic reproductions. Nicely done!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Most impressive. I'm reminded of the guys on the HAMB who find a '32 Ford sedan folded in half in a riverbank and rusted away to the beltline, and proceed to restore it into a like-new five-window coupe.

-Dave

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the compliments, all. Yes, Jackie is very happy with her cabinet.

Dave, this project reminds me of another story….the one about the guy who owned the original hatchet that young George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. The hatchet’s handle had been replaced twice…once in 1873 and again in 1922…and the hatchet’s head was replaced in 1912…but the guy claimed that it was still Washington’s original hatchet.

Rue, thanks for the nomination, but I fear that I am ineligible for the award. You see, Jackie and I live in sin. It’s for cultural reasons. She fondly refers to herself as the Divorced, Catholic, Yankee…and, of course, I’m a Bubba. So, years ago, we decided not to knot. But all is well. After twelve years we’re still like kids. Every Christmas and birthday I get a new wood-working tool (got a neat biscuit joiner last birthday) and Jackie gets cabinets and decks and flower boxes and the like.

AF

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Dave, this project reminds me of another story….the one about the guy who owned the original hatchet that young George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. The hatchet’s handle had been replaced twice…once in 1873 and again in 1922…and the hatchet’s head was replaced in 1912…but the guy claimed that it was still Washington’s original hatchet.

The Hoosier Cabinet of Theseus.

-Dave

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago I read a piece in the NY Times about Dick Cavett's house in the Hamptons. It was a beautiful 1878 vintage Victorian gem, and it burned to the ground. After some thought they decided to rebuild it from scratch exactly like the original, with a couple necessary changes. I've always wondered how Cavett felt psycholigically about the place.
Anyhow, that's an amazing restoration. Just beautiful.
And the coolest thing is that ypu have the hardest part to replace, the flour sifter. Question: were you able to find an original brand decal for the front?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Question: were you able to find an original brand decal for the front?

Sadly, I was never able to find anything that would indicate the brand of this cabinet. I've looked at hundreds of images of Hoosier style cabinets, and the closest one I can find was made by Scheirich. I'm also of the opinion that the base and the hutch may not be original to each other. I say this because the style and quality of the cabinetry is so different between the two halves. I'm guessing that the hutch is a Scheirich and the base is something else...maybe a Sellers.

I can say this: The old cabinet was the low-end model of whoever made it. It was clearly produced for a family of modest income…which makes sense to me. During the Depression, many people in my area were especially poor. The cabinet was made of poplar and gum framing, it had a thin plywood shell and it was glued together. There wasn't a screw in it anywhere.

As I rebuilt it, I used much better materials. I used Southern white oak for the framing, birch, ¼ inch plywood for the shell and heart pine for the floor. I had to glue some parts together, but I otherwise re-constructed it using recessed stainless steel marine screws.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24